I have a terrible case of the I don't want tos. The dress that is due out tomorrow is this form fitting slinky satin dress that is hard to work on. You can't make a mistake as it will show in the fabric. Of course it is a full-blown alteration. I have to take in the bust area and waist and hips. Then hem the layers and put boning back in and bustle. I got the dang thing ripped yesterday but I just don't want to do it.
Too bad I am the boss and there is no one else. I just had an easier dress picked up and that always feels good. But I can and will due this.
Although I knew I was in denial mode this morning as I took a load out of the dryer that had been there for three days. I pulled all the extra hangers out of the closet and took them to the overflowing ironing basket. I culled a few items from the closet to take to good will. I thought about watering early and I really do need to pick green beans. Anything to keep from actually doing what needs to be done.
I am a master of avoidance mode. Even the ironing basket looks good to me right now!
So, when I get like this (and it seems to be happening more often) I just tell myself one seam at a time. Get one side done at a time, now hem one layer and then the next. Finally press and bustle and that is exactly what I will do today. But I don't want to.
What do you do when you just don't want to do something?
God is good
Kim
I am a very good procrastinator too! I make myself a list every week so I will get something accomplished but unfortunately there are several things that just get moved from one list to the next without ever getting marked off.
ReplyDeletePlease update us on Sluggy when you can. I wish I had her address so that I could send her a card. I miss her!
Lisa
Tings with Slug are not good, I will post about it today.
DeleteI understand - some things I just hate to do - and usually wait until about out of time.
ReplyDeleteAll that busy work won't get that dress done. Remember next time, not to take another one like it into the shop.
I agree totally with that last sentence.
DeleteI wish I had looked closer at the disaster.
DeleteLike you, I break it down into smaller tasks. And, sometimes I get motivated & do more than what I committed to. After going through Nick's room & the giant mess in there, I committed to getting 5 items either: donated, trashed, sold or organized somewhere. A few times I've gone in his room, I've gotten really motivated & done a bunch. Other times, I check the box of 5 items, and move on to something else. I also reward myself with reading blocks. Do a chore, earn 15 minutes of reading. I'm like a little kid. ;-) -Hawaii Planner
ReplyDeleteI use these same tactics!
DeleteI set a 15 minute timer! And usually end up doing it far longer
ReplyDeleteI set mine for an hour to see how much I can get done.
DeleteOh, Kim, I know EXACTLY what you mean! My son and daughter-in-law are visiting this weekend from eastern Idaho and you have no idea how I procrastinated getting the guest room ready! Also...I lowered my standards a lot LOL.
ReplyDeleteI read somewhere that if you see something that can be accomplished in 2 minutes, to do it right then! Now I know this doesn't apply to sewing, especially the kind of sewing you do, but I've found I can do a ton of things in less than 2 minutes if I Just Do It. Maybe you can break down some of your other tasks this way ??? It's great for picking up and putting away.
That is a great idea! Plus, if it takes more than 2 minutes and you are already in deep you might finish!
DeleteWhen I was quitting smoking I would say to myself "I want a ciggie, but not right now"...it helped! Maybe something like that would help? "I want to not do this but not right now". Which is basically what you said you do, lol. I get like this and I just don't do it....I just have these days where I can not get motivated. Then there are days where I get it ALL done! lol. But you have a business so I guess it is harder for you. I'm sorry, I am no help at all.
ReplyDeleteYou are a great help.
DeleteI don't like it when I get a case of the "I don't want to do its". Hopefully it will pass soon.
ReplyDeleteIt has to that baby is coming sooner than later.
DeleteI make a list. Thank God that I have things that need to be done. And start checking the the things off the list. Sometimes I do the easy ones first just to have accomplished something.
ReplyDeleteSetting a timer is a great way to be motivated. And blasting some music while doing the things helps, too.
Depending on what day it is, I'll listen to any of these genres:
Don Williams, Kenny Rogers - old country
Paul Simon, Huey Lewis and the News - 70's and 80's pop
Forrest Frank, Jeremy Camp, Cain - contemporary Christian
Southern Gospel
Music helps a lot.
DeleteHello there! When I don't want to do something, I jump in bed and cover my head. And sleep. Oh, did you receive the gift card?
ReplyDeleteI am sorry my dear so busy I just did not check and that was very inconsiderate as I was thrilled to win anything, so I will check and report!!!!
DeleteI am an excellent avoider, so I have no advice except to just start.
ReplyDeleteYou are a great deal of help....just sayin.
DeleteThere are so many things I am procrastinating on doing right now. I have taken to saying there is always tomorrow, but in many cases tomorrow never comes.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Let's embroider that on a T-shirt!
Delete