Thursday, December 27, 2018

Thursday, Free day?

     It is so nice to have a day where nothing is on the schedule.  Well except that the basement is taking on water.  So I will have to deal with that.  The front drains  got clogged, hub's is out cutting back a shrub right now and I will have to wet vac and set out fans again.  So glad we were home to catch this.  Sometimes I don't know if it is worth it to have a basement.

     I received many really nice gifts from my children.  My eldest daughter spoils me with clothes and books, and nummies. Hubs bought me a beautiful cashmere sweater.  D#2 replaced my mothers lefsa grill and also bought me a lefsa stone.  I was so excited.  I am kind of a kitchen gadget freak if you have not noticed.  But I love to bake traditional breads and things for the holidays and actually year round.  Lefsa is a flat bread made with potatoes and is eaten all year in the Scandinavian countries.  We ate it a lot as kids. Mom went through 2 irons in her life time and now we have a third.  So happy.  I also received a great Nordic bread cookbook so that should be fun.  You all know my love of heavy, seedy, rye infested breads. All I can say is yum.

     I put out the makings of a stew for dinner and I am going to make a batch of bread today to take with down to southern Idaho.  There is a little laundry and the family room and my desk to straighten.  There is always something to do.

     Tomorrow I will have to get up early as we will drive to Moscow and our youngest will be officially married by the justice of the peace.  This way she will be on her fiance's insurance and they will save a bundle in taxes.  Her family ceremony wedding is scheduled for next August 3rd.  This is so weird to me and I do not like it but I am happy with my new son -in -law and I love his family.  I just think when you are married you should be done. Oh well.....

     So today will be a simple putz around the house doing things I hate (water control) and things I love, baking bread, making stew, playing with my new sink controls. Plans within plans so to speak.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim


    

18 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got some wonderful gifts. Good for you - you deserve them!
    I had a nephew and his fiancé that got married 3 times. Court house, a destination wedding (islands) and then a family thing. It lasted about a year and they had been together for ages. Shaking my head!
    Hope your basement isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it is just too weird, but I go with the flow. No it just smells like a wet dog.

      Delete
  2. To each his own on the wedding thing, but I can say I lean towards your thinking. I have a friend that got married in order for him to clam being independent for financial aid. His and her parents never knew they legally were married 7 months before the church wedding.I understand doing things for the ridiculous hoops people need to jump through to catch a break or two, but the lying by omission to their parents was a bit sad. You at least have the full story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people live together for years and then get married does it really matter? I don't like it, but.....

      Delete
  3. I have decided that no one knows about wedding or marriages anymore. Son3 and DIL3 got married in the park with just 5 wedding guests and an officiant. Now they are talking about having a "real" wedding. What? The park wasn't real enough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did our wedding and the party completely separately, but with good reason. We had the full wedding and reception all planned for the same day. Three days before the planned wedding my now husband was admitted to hospital, and I received a call from my MIL that I needed to cancel the wedding, as he wasn't going to be released from hospital on time. Called and cancelled with guests, caterers, hotel etc, then booked and took a one hour flight to the city where he was in hospital within five hours. We got married a week later by my great aunt, who was a JP, with the understanding we would have a reception at a later date. Then we spent our wedding night in the emergency room.

    We had what is referred to by everybody as our 'wedding' on our ten year anniversary. No trips to the hospital that time (thankfully). We've now been married 13 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow what a memory. But things happen and you ride it out. Happy for you is it a good or bad memory?

      Delete
  5. I love unscheduled days! They're the best.

    It sounds like you had a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know except I got an emergency mother of the bride dress which I just finished.

      Delete
  6. I don't get most weddings today. Hubs had a cousin that got married three months before the big wedding. I was a little mad when I found out at the wedding that they were already married. I guess what ever floats your boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we actually believe in being chaste and getting married, married. But the world is changing and my kids will do things there way, I don't like it but I love them.

      Delete
  7. I'm just catching up with your newer posts! Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas with your daughter and other family. Sorry to hear that your grandson was ill, though. Hope he's feeling better, now. Good thing you and your sister were there to help your daughter with the work.

    Sorry to hear about the basement, but, hope it can be taken care of, soon. Sounds like you had a busy "free" day! Hope you have a safe trip, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it smells like a wet dog down here which is lovely, but we solved the problem.

      Delete
  8. 2 weddings seems silly to me too but the current generation puts a lot of importance on having a big ceremony and reception. I don’t get it, I think the marriage is the most important.
    But that’s the way of the current times.
    Best wishes to the new couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I still don't believe in living together either. So call me old fashioned or just plain a prude, or maybe obedient.

      Delete
  9. I personally think big weddings are for people whose parents or they can afford it. Otherwise, I think nice street clothes and one attendant each in church parlors is best. However, that is not the way anymore. They(current crop of young people) seem to think the wedding is the big party afterwards. Often they have lived together for sometime, and one wonders why bother with anything but the legalities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. However my two youngest girls were worldly.

      Delete