Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Wednesday, thoughts


 Thanks so much for all of your great advice and thoughts about this situation I am in with Hubs folks.  I have decided that we will only take them as a last resort.  And I mean last.  It is just not good for Hubs and they have the money for alternative sources.  Now Hubs mother would be fine, she is a sweet gentle soul.  Hubs father does not have long left, but who can predict?  He is very swollen, his feet and abdomen.  All I can do is pray it is soon.

The deer are eating our garden and I don't know what to do to stop the little buggers.  My beans are all chewed down and they were just beginning to produce.  My cabbages and lettuce are gone again.  SO I guess we just plant what they won't eat.  The only other choice we have is to put up an electric fence and personally I don't trust my grandsons, not to mess with it.

Hubs was out early this morning moving a metal wheel chair ramp for the city. They had a good crew so it took much less time than he thought it would.  Then he mowed the lawn, which takes him about 20 minutes.  Now if we could just get the weed killer he sprays to kill the weeds.  I think I will have to take matters into my own hands.

The shop was crazy yesterday with at least 15 people in here.  I did get a wedding dress done yesterday, but alas another came in to replace it.  I will finish up a mother of the bride dress and then I have to attack the piles and hem at least one dress and three other bridesmaid dresses, oh and another bridesmaid dress.  Anyway it will be a good long day in the shop.

Some good news is that we had a great rainstorm yesterday, which we desperate needed in this area. Now if we could just get another within the week that would be great.

I mentioned in a comment on Slug's blog that I was ready to go on a cruise to Alaska, and she had it planned and in the bank in less than 24 hours. So one of my bucket list trips is in the making.  I am so happy and feel so good about this decision. I know we will have a ball.  Stupid is as stupid does.....

I just put a small roast in the microwave to thaw and I will make fajitas tonight with some of it as I have peppers that need to be used up. No real sales in the paper that I want, but I do need to get a few items at the store as far as produce is concerned. We ate yellow squash out of the garden last night and a handful of string beans the deer happened to miss, drat their hides.

I need to do laundry and clean up every room in this house, but that will be after I get sewing done for the day. My oh my am I busy.  But I feel at peace right now about my depression  concerning Hubs folks and about our taking the time to start traveling a little.  This weekend although very scary, was a good lesson for me.

Do any of you learn life lessons the hard way?

Have a great and productive day staying positive  while you are in the negative. 

Kim


24 comments:

  1. Hi, I am not a gardener so take this for what it is worth….I think fences are the only hope to discourage deer dining on your garden. Really tall fences. When I was in New Zealand they had deer fences that looked about 8 feet high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that can't happen so I guess I will eat what they won't.

      Delete
  2. YEA for your upcoming cruise!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you and your Bucket List Cruise!!!
    We have deer here too. And they eat everything.
    Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry the deer are playing havoc with your garden.

    Glad to read that you have started on your Bucket List. Good for you.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The deer eat everything here too and I’m so sad about it, I have a small vegetable garden that I’ve finally fenced in tall enough but I’ve several perennial gardens they have decimated especially the hostas and phlox but also many more and they come right on my patio and pull out any petunias right out of the pots. Today I find they’ve been eating the my hydrangeas right at my picture window. Ugh!!! Great on the cruise. I want to thank you on your post yesterday it made me start taking action. My daughter and I went to Ireland a few years ago and it was amazing, we are now talking Scotland next spring. Life is too short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true that we often don't take action when we can, always waiting for the perfect moment and there is no perfect moment.

      Delete
  6. The deer eat everything here too and I’m so sad about it, I have a small vegetable garden that I’ve finally fenced in tall enough but I’ve several perennial gardens they have decimated especially the hostas and phlox but also many more and they come right on my patio and pull out any petunias right out of the pots. Today I find they’ve been eating the my hydrangeas right at my picture window. Ugh!!! Great on the cruise. I want to thank you on your post yesterday it made me start taking action. My daughter and I went to Ireland a few years ago and it was amazing, we are now talking Scotland next spring. Life is too short!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in Ketchikan! You will love your cruise!!
    If you guys want a good tour guide it would be my please to show you around. I’ve been reading Sluggy’s blog for many many years and your for a few years now(thanks to her). I drive a tour bus in the summer.
    I’ll even take you to see our LDS church here(I’m LDS).
    Our building is different than others as its a Lindal cedar building. If you’d like any info Email me at Alaskadreamin@gmail.com
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I think we are stopping in Ketchikan, what fun. SO excited!

      Delete
  8. Oh the cruise will be so much fun!
    We went on an Alaskan cruise for our 25th anniversary. The glaciers and glacier bay were so amazing.
    Thanks for the reminder to work on my bucket list too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a vegetable garden, but I am using deer repellent spray once a month on all my flowers and shrubs and so far so good! Just about everything got munched down last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the electric fence wouldn't hurt the grandkids. I routinely connect with ours LOL. Eight foot fence it another option. I try to plant stuff the deer don't like on perimeter and the mow it down buffet in the middle of it. Sometimes works. We will see when E's sweet corn comes on as they usually run the fence between his pasture and my berry patch.

    Our weed killer is not working. Amish said salt it, I hate doing that as it destroys the dirt under the weed.

    I heard that Calen Warnock has a weed killer that is edible. I haven't researched it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I grow vegetables in a community garden with a very tall fence around it - we don’t get deer. Little critters that can burrow under the fence, that’s another story!
    The Alaska cruise will be wonderful! I did one once. The Inside Passage is just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you are making the right decision. 5, 10. 15, 20 years you won't be looking back thinking "I wish I/we had......."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. No time like the present. How are you doing my friend?

      Delete
  13. thats great you're going to cruise Alaska! That was our last cruise before covid stopped everything and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Loved getting outdoors and the scenery is just magnificent. you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete