Yes, I woke up to a heavy rain! This is great it will mean snow in the mountains and we are basically fogged in but what a help to the winter wheat that is sown all over the hills around this place. I can hear the farmers singing!
I love the fact that other bloggers do the same things I do with their spare time, shows me that I am not the only nut on the planet. My Sissie and I were discussing blogs about saving money on cooking and at the grocery store, little secrets we have picked up over the last 26 years of trying to get out of debt. Obviously the little secrets did not work. What we finally came up with in our discussions is that Sis and I already do all those things. We have always been scratch cooks. We have always, shopped the sales for food and bought loss leaders and kept a pantry to save money. We both sew and mend and can make do and make something last. If I pick up a book on money saving strategies, I am already doing 90% of them and the other 10% I just would consider too cheap or unsanitary.
The main problem I see and I don't know if anyone else encounters this, but the only place to cut back is groceries or personal items. We have never had cable in the last 25 years. I keep cutting every expense I can and I always have. But when you have set bills, mortgage, taxes,car payments, doctors, you can't cut those. We try hard to keep our utilities down and we think about ways to save gas, but these things although they help have not really kept us from going into debt. I guess I can be as frugal as I want at the grocery store and it really won't help me make my car payment. When you have cut the budget back to the bare bones you still have the massive bills to pay and that is discouraging.
My question is, when you have already done all the cutting, what do you do?
I just received my internet bill and it was $24.99 down from $59.00. I just received my first reduced cell phone bill and it was $111.00 down from $185.00. My life insurance however went up from $30.12 to $46.50. So not everything is a win. By March first daughter # 2 will be off our car insurance so that will go down by at least $50.00 a month. I find that these breaks in adding to my budget help me get out of debt faster than a free can of tomatoes at the store. But I'll take the free can of tomatoes any day.
I was able to sew most of the day yesterday and I got a great deal done, but I have to do the same thing today and tomorrow. Taxes are for Friday and Saturday, yippee, I can't wait. (Heavy Sarcasm)
Trying to get caught up and I don't think it will ever happen, if it did I would complain about being caught up:) You gotta love me.
Have a great and productive day!