Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Tuesday,Cookie Cutters?

I  spent the morning getting tax crap done, wandering all over town gathering things for taxes.  Still have three more things to do.  Two items I can pull on line but alas no computer, yet. Blah!

Mom needed the heart shaped cookie cutters to get her dough done and we could not find them.  She had a cutter collection and so did I, so when she moved in it was pretty obvious that we needed to downsize.  So we divided every cookie cutter up in piles and gave away several sets to the kids and I thought let's put each holiday into a bag so we can just gather a bag when we do a holiday.  Now do you think we can find the heart bag?  I have seen this gallon size storage bag full of red, copper, pink, white, stainless, cookies cutters at least 100 times over the past month.  But they are GONE.  We went to Sis's thinking mom had taken them there and sis had bags of cutters but they were all Christmas.  So now we have to go buy a damn heart cutter when we have every size and shape in a bag somewhere in this house.  I do not have a messy house. Who's dumb idea was it to put the holidays in separate bags?

SO off we go to get a cutter, it was .99 but it is the principle of the thing.  Mom can no longer cut out cookies, she just gets too tired and cannot see well enough to see where she has cut.  I cut out 11 dozen cookies while I was making and waiting for my shepherds pie to be done.

I have a lot of sewing to do if I can be left alone, but I need to get mom something to eat, finish cleaning up the kitchen, put a stew in the crockpot before I can get to the shop.

My shepherds pie recipe 

When ever I make mashed potatoes I always make extra and then make this casserole. It is an easy comfort food.

1lb ground beef and on small onion
1 can of tomato soup
1 can of veggies, corn, green beans,peas, or frozen  as you wish or combine
mashed potatoes
shredded cheese any kind

brown diced onion in a little olive oil add ground beef and cook until brown, transfer to a casserole and add tomato soup.  Do not dilute soup

Drain and put veggies on top

spread mashed potatoes on top

shred some cheese on top and salt and pepper

cover and bake at 350 for and hour.

Yum.
Onions here are picked free and so are potatoes most of the year.

so this meal cost .66 for two cans of veggies bought at3/1 and one can of soup 2/1 then ground beef was purchased 2 lbs for 4.17 so I used 1/2 making this 2.06

Made 6 good size servings and this heats up well as a left over.

$2.06 plus .66 plus .50 cheese maybe .50 good meal for under 4.00 and and it makes two meals for us.  Try it!

Have a great and productive day!

Kim

8 comments:

  1. I so know what you mean about sewing AFTER everything is done. Today, it did not happen. I have never had sheppard's pie. I will have to try it though - thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so hard to get down to those machines, I swear someone is always pulling me another direction, mom, mom, mom :)

      Delete
  2. Nope, never sewed after everything was done. I sewed first. Of course, feeding babies or kids and tending to their needs came first. However, many things were left undone in order for me to sew. Then, I could live with everything else left undone or do it in a very great rush! My children and sewing came first. As they got older, they could help with things in the house or the little one. Even now, if I left sewing until everything was done, I would never sew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it happens that way some days. Sometimes I sew first, but I like to get the little things out the way - I am a neat freak!

      Delete
  3. I make a shepherd's pie I call Beef Pie. Not a big fan of mashed taters so we put cornbread on top. I guess it's a pie for Southern shepherds. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I love corn bread will try it that way, yum....

      Delete
  4. Yummy, cookies and sheppard's pie!!

    ReplyDelete