Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Going down memory lane


 Kay here and it is the 10th of September.  The picture I am attaching is in Kim's Shop and it is of her putting the final touches on her middle daughter's wedding dress.  I had these made about 11 years ago from an old ad that Sissy found from a Singer sewing machine magazine.  I hope you can read it!

Sissy has slept horribly the past several days and is not feeling well, so I spent the night last night to make sure I could get her to sleep, and sleeping she is!  Finally.

I woke many times last night to listen to her breathing beside me and she was indeed sleeping, probably from exhaustion.

Now I am not a great believer in catching up on sleep, once lost hard to regain, but having experienced insomnia many times in my working life (always from stress) I have learned many sleeping techniques that work for me.

I took her cell phone away from her!  Quite your brain Sissy, breath in and out and focus on your breathing, relax every muscle in your body (this takes time and practice).  When doing this I can no longer feel my hands or feet, they have sunk into the mattress, and I fall asleep.  Too much stimulation before bed can really be an issue.

I was up at five this morning and watched the sun rise and prayed on Kim's deck enjoying my three cups of coffee.  I then slowly made my way around the house and picked up last night's mess and have set up my sewing space in Kim's dining room.  I have a lot of mending to do today, as I got nothing done yesterday due to a small issue that could turn into a very large issue.

Yesterday morning...

Daniel and I are early risers and we like to have coffee outside on our back covered porch.  We knew when we bought the House that the property next door to us was abandoned, and it is in terrible shape.

I segue...

The property belonged to an elderly woman who has two sons in prison.  She passed away in 2012 in the state of Wyoming and Wyoming slapped a lien on the property for 95 thousand dollars for medical bills.  The house has been vacant since and is falling apart.  She is a beautiful old craftsman with great lines but.... it is tied up.  

As soon as we purchased the House, we made the rounds of the neighborhood to introduce ourselves and ask about the property and got an ear full.  But has anyone tried to do anything about it? NO!

Well, they don't know me, and I am going to take action.

Yesterday morning continued...

Dan and I are on the back porch and Dan looks to his left and says, Oh Honey we have a problem and points to our tall fence next to the abandoned property. (At least we do not have to look at the mess)

The property has a large lean to building probably used for wood storage leaning against our fence and it is pushing our fence over as the roof has collapsed.  Now said property has no trespassing signs everywhere as it is dangerous, all windows broken out, gutters falling, ivy everywhere (which will destroy a home).

Our fence has an electrical conduit that leads to our detached garage.  If the fence comes down and it will this is a bad fire hazard.

So, I whipped out my camera took pictures and went to City Hall ay ten o'clock.  After being directed to four (yes four) different buildings blocks apart I finally got to the Office I needed to be at, and everyone was at lunch.  I explained the situation to the Secretary and She said someone would call me (like yeah) I knew that was not going to happen as I am sure others have complained since 2012.

Also, I did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday and living 36 years in the DC area has made me a bit jaded, but also politically correct and focused.  I would not leave until She gave me at least two phone numbers and email addresses of the Persons I needed to speak with.  I then called both left a very nice, detailed message and sent them the photos.  I then went to the power company and showed them the photos and they agreed that it was bad.  I then came up to Kim's (Dan is at Lil Sis's painting).  She was a mess, so I called Daniel and said I was spending the night with Sissy and to come up for dinner when He was finished.  Pulled a chicken pie and beef pie from the freezer for dinner (this is why I cook ahead) and my cellphone rang, and it was one of the Gentleman from the City.  He agreed to meet me at my property in 10 minutes and so down the Hill I went.  He took many pictures and knew very well about the property, but it is tied up because of the Son's and the Lien.  He agreed to get the city to take down the Shed.  (We shall see) ...

I may be making a trip to Wyoming...

Too be continued...

Now I must go wake Sissy as it is almost 9 O'clock.

As Rosanne Rosanna Dana used to say!  It's always something!

Hugs Kay



11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, the only reason I sleep is from exhaustion. Not feeling hands and feet is a good feeling because I am going to sleep.
    That house next door sounds like a mess. I can imagine that the old lady who died would hate to see her house like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use that Rosana quote very often. Make noise and call anyone and everyone that will listen, things get done. I have learned you have to do this often and be firm.
    Hope Kim feels better today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think you're quite amazing. I really do!!! I suffer from insomnia too - it is a dreadful thing. Prayers for Kim & also for you & the "shed situation". I think they don't realise they are taking on a Lioness here. I hope Kim feels better - I know I would just having you there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture! I'm sure the dress was so special.
    And that advice from the sewing machine manual...wow.
    Hope Kim had a good rest and that she feels better. Good luck with the powers that be; I hope something can be done with the neighbor's house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Sissie and the shed victory! I call getting someone from the city to the property to take pics a victory! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  7. What horrible advice from Singer. The woman probably vacuumed and did the dishes in heels and pearls. If I wanted to sew, I did, no matter what the state of the house or myself. Why should my object to my state when I was sewing and saving money for the household. When I sewed in comfort and with my best energy of the day, then I could take care of the dishes. I do realize this was a different day than now and that women had constraints imposed by society. It is a great picture of Kim sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 5th sentence should be "why should my husband object..."

      Delete
  8. Love the picture of Kim.
    I wish I were there to have coffee on the porch with you. I have at least 3 cups each morning and sometimes a 4th.
    Good for you tenacious skills. Fingers crossed action on the shed happens soon.
    Even with a lien the city should be able to condemn the property if it is hazardous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a wonderful picture of Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a fantastic sister, Kay! Fingers crossed that Kim slept, and that you get some progress on the house/shed. (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete