Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thursday,Organizing mom.. and the car:(


    I was finally able to get all of mom's meds done last night.  Lil sis handles mom's meds, but this is causing problems now.  Lil sis works full time and I am often the one that takes her to her appointments.  So as I usually see the doctors, I should know the med schedule.  We have started to have confusion and It is just better for me to take this over, so I know what is going on.  I now feel confidant about this and that is a relief.  I also purchased a wheel chair for mom last night and I will get another sometime today.  That way each of us has one.  Mom has to use the chair to go outside the house.  She is too unstable to get around with a walker.  She can use a can and the walker in the house.  It is a decision we have come to as a group and we did not give her a choice.  I think mom may be relieved.

     It seems that having Sissie here makes these decisions easier. They had to be made and mom seems to be taking them rather well.  Which surprises me.  But Sis has her ways with mom that I don't.  Lil sis can get mom to do things I can't get her to do also.  We each have our gift so mom is very lucky.  It would be nice if she was a little more grateful, but when you are losing control and function every day, it must be scary.

     We took the car into the shop yesterday. I do not know what the outcome will be. But we have to face the fact that the car has 150,00 miles on it and it will require major work. We put the new clutch in for $950.00. Now we are putting in  another large sum of money.  We may possibly be facing another couple of thousand in the near future.  So now we could be spending $4000.00 on a car that is not worth $4000.00 It is a 2010 model.  We are also making at least a year and 4 months of car payments.  We just have decisions to make and I don't ant to buy a new car. I don't want to buy a newer car,  I don't want a car payment.


     We do have mom's car as a back up and I will do everything I can to keep from adding any new debt to my life.


     In the mean time look at my #'s.  I am down $500.00 on the studio loan.  The house sits at $46,601.38.  I also paid $450.00 to the Sewer loan and hope to be able to get that below $7,000 this month.  It will depend on the car.

     So that is where we stand.  I feel good about the progress.  I am a little deflated about the car but that is what the emergency fund is for.

     I just sent Sis and mom out to lunch and mom was so excited.  I need to run some money to our personal bank today.  So I am off.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

11 comments:

  1. Forcing mom to use the chair makes it easier for her. She does not have to make it her choice and her admission that she needs it. Does she ever use electric carts in stores? My car is a 2000 with over 200,000 miles. I have been incredibly lucky with this car. I would hate to have to buy a car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great I had her out tonight and I actually think she loved it. She will never admit this but she will get out more and not have to worry or become so exhausted.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the vehicle. I am thinking good thoughts for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I can't stand the idea of more debt so purchased a used car that fit into my savings plan. I don't care - I don't NEED the prestige of a new expensive vehicle when I can get from A to B much more cheaply. I hope your repairs aren't too costly and having your mom's car as backup id helpful - it's not like she's going to be using it anymore so it just makes sense for you to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of your errands are for your mom so use her car! At least for awhile and save up for the repairs on your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we got the first repairs done today but may need more and you are right. I will use her car and save up.

      Delete
  5. It's disheartening when our beloved vehicles start letting us down. I drive an older Honda civic that has been my friend for years. We have had a couple of hiccups, but nothing major. I, too, don't want to have a new car payment, so I will keep on loving my little car. I hope you guys can figure out the best way to go. Mom just might want to hit the road more, now that she has a wheelchair. Great decision!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds you are making tweaks that will make life much easier for you & your sister. Nice job stepping back & re-evaluating, because I'm sure each decision is challenging & has the potential to wreak havoc with your mom.

    Sorry about your car, and agree with the other posters - use your moms for now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all made this together and gave her no choice. I think she likes it! But we will see. Having mom's car is a blessing.

      Delete