Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thursday, back and trying to catch up!

     Thank you all so much for your kind condolences on the loss of my neighbor.  It was hard to leave knowing what these friends left behind would be going through, but our first visitor back was the neighbor with our ice chest.  He said he was so surprised that this was such a good idea.  He only was able to drink one soda and all the rest of it was gone in a couple days.   The food disappeared instantly.  He was not aware that there would be so many people coming over in the first 48 hours.  He was so appreciative for our food and drinks.  Word traveled and he was inundated with more goodies, but ours were able to get them through the first onslaught of family and shocked friends.  Hubby spent about an hour with him and I had to go teach.  They had wanted to do a display of fall colors at their house for after the funereal guests.  As our lovely neighbor had been so ill her garden had suffered so they came and raided ours.  We laughed as they had a huge pumpkin and squash, cornstalk display, all from our yard.  Don't worry I still have over 40 pumpkins of all varieties.

     We had a lovely trip.  Hubbies dad has dementia and it gets worse daily.  It was hard to see him struggle and we had to watch him like a hawk.  He wanders and got lost several times.  I would have loved to have seen Sluggy and Judy but with dad that was not possible.  My sister and I have decided to do a girls trip to see them maybe next Spring.  So get ready.

     We stayed in Gettysburg and at my sisters house in Gaithersburg.  She is a wonderful hostess.  Dinner was hot ready and delicious whenever we entered for an evenings rest.  She would always have us call when we were an hour away.  It was like staying at a luxury bed and breakfast.  In fact I have told her to open one, or at least her home on one of the those sights that takes in travelers.  Anyway we spent a day in Antietam, Gettysburg, Amish country (that was awful), We spent a day in the city at the WWII and other war monuments and also a day at the National Cathedral.  Mom and Dad are in their mid 80's and were very tired by the time we drove to Amish country.  It was too far and we spent most of the day driving at 15 miles an hour.  We are used to doing 55-75 in our neck of the woods and it was a frustrating long day.  But all in all a positive trip and I am so glad we took it with hubbies folks.  It will be an enduring memory for them and us.

     I am back to the grindstone.  I have a tendency to compartmentalize things.  I beleive I learned to do this when I was directing 10  major productions a school year.  I often had one show rehearsing and one in progress and one just closing at all times so I learned to only worry about what I could get done today.  If I  started worrying about the 120 costumes I needed for a show 3 shows out I would go crazy.  I still have to think far in advance on dates and such and bookings but I do not think of a show until it is in production.  Well I have a performance for 2 different fund raisers in less than a month so I need to get on the ball.  Also Christmas will be here before you know it.  I want all performance #'s finished in the next two weeks and Christmas blocked by the first week in November. The heat is on.  This trip was my focus and now my focus is else where.  I feel so much pressure and that is probably why I get so much done.

     The shop is very busy and I am grateful for the work.  I am trying to catch up on e-mail and and then I need to do the books and pay the bills.  Must sew quite a bit today and get some phone calls made about performances.  Need to order more costumes tomorrow, I see that I have had a couple of large boxes delivered to my garage, so I had better go check them out.

     I will fill you in on some funnies from the trip in the next few weeks.  In the mean time I will not spend money and concentrate on debt payoff.  What a novel idea!

Have a great and productive day!

Kim

4 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good trip for the most part! And I would love to see you in the spring..I would have kept this great cookie jar for you if I new you were coming heheheheh

    Now remember to rest. It is all going to hit you at once and you are going to be exhausted

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you had a good trip. And very cool your sister made that stay so enjoyable. I do feel that right before a trip (or months prior), all the focus and attention is on that, but once it's over, I may be a bit more lost. Hope you get your new focus on soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to hear your trip went well considering.....I knew you'd have your hands full so don't worry about me and Judy and Mark.
    But next Spring is already put on my calendar!lolol

    Be sure to pace yourself in the coming months. No collapsing or melting down until next year. ;-)

    BTW--Debt pay-off and not spending money is highly overrated...LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you stopped by my blog! Thanks!

    I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor. And I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip!

    ReplyDelete