Monday, November 13, 2023

Monday, the no heat addition!


 Here she is smoking her bink.  I want to work outside a little today and this is how she dresses herself.  Notice the two different shoes and one is on backwards.


We have been without heat or natural gas here since last Wednesday. A major gas line was hit and 36,000 of us in this part of Idaho and Washington have been without heat.  Yes, that is the University Dorms and all.

The house gets down to about 61 at night and then I run a space heater I can get it up to 67.  I am hoping to get mine turned back on today.  Lil sis just txt. and she just got hers restored.

But they have to go home by home.  It is such a mess.  Businesses without the ability to cook or keep warm.  It has been a real adventure here.

Someone from our church went to Seattle with a trailer to buy as many space heaters as they could get.  Our small town was out in about an hour. I bought several Thursday when they got into town, and then went up to Braunwyn's at the U of I.  The 6 story dorms were without heat, and it is below freezing there at night. Since dorm rooms are small a space heater can heat them up in no time, plus if you run 30 heaters on a floor you blow fuses all over the place.  THE THINGS YOU FIND OUT, when you enter the twilight zone. The person in charge of the dorm floor was in charge of the heaters and they worked out a way to keep as many warm as possible.

B has electric heat, so I was able to bathe and then stayed the night and we did some work on her place, and I passed out heaters and blankets to very grateful recipients. Told the kids to heat up their room and then pass the heater to the next room and keep a round robin going so as many can get their rooms warmed up as possible. I think the University has been restored. 

People down here are fussing but you have to restore power where it is freezing first. We are not below freezing here. So suck it up. 

It is a beautiful day here today and I hope to get some yardwork done at least a little.  Also have plenty of housework, as I did nothing here this weekend.  B is bringing Oliver down to stay for a couple of days, and I am making a big dinner of buttered chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans as the babies love mashed potatoes and green beans.

I pulled all the pillows from the lawn furniture, and they are drying in the front room ready to be put away for the winter. After I get the house pulled together, I will get some sewing done hopefully during nap time.

Kelsa just brought me a wooden banana on a plate with a fork for a snack.  I am well cared for. I have to go make the bed in the master bedroom.

Stay warm!


Kim

17 comments:

  1. I am still playing "catch up" on your posts Kim. That is a frustrating situation about the no heat or gas line ... I do hope yours gets restored today ... I hope everyones gets restored!! That Kelsa must make you smile even on the days when you don't feel like it - she is such a trick! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang - I hope you get it back on quickly. It is amazing how used to 'luxuries' we are. No one much today has an idea how to 'rough' it. I am glad the heaters came for those inn freezing places.
    What a WONDERFUL snack!!!!!!! LOL
    Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat came on about 3:30 yesterday afternoon and then about 5 I had hot water! Right out of the spicket!

      Delete
  3. Hello there! I hope you are soon basking in the cozy warmth of your home. And I wish I had a little server to bring me a wooden banana and a fork. Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my Practical Parsimony blog broke, I had a No Heat Tuesday post just posted. I did not have $140 for an electrician and had to wait for a friend to come. I had no children or grandchildren or students in dorms, just me so it was bearable.
    It would worry me to give space heaters to a dorm full of students as it sounds like a fire hazard. I am a worrier.
    Kelsa is so cute. I am glad she is good to you and feeds you nutritious snacks. I always wonder how little children wear shoes on wrong feet or backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelsa is adorable! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get the heat back - everywhere! Sounds miserable for lots of different folks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelsa is such a live wire, the photo of her with her outfit, shoes included, made me laugh. And it is good to know she has a potential career as a chef! When I was small, I took a book off my parents bookshelf, wrapped it and gave it to my father as a birthday present…he was happy to get the gift but said that it looked very familiar. Fingers crossed your heat will return soon, the time between viewing an event as an exciting camping challenge to the time I get crabby is getting shorter and shorter ;). Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the hot water came out of my sink last night I was so grateful.

      Delete
  8. I hope you get your heat back on very soon, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire Kelsa's sense of style. On more than one occasion I have gone out and about with mismatched shoes (often not realizing it until I got home and changed clothes)
    I wish I had someone who lived close enough to me tor bing me a wooden banana on a plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are a Mademoiselle don't. Do you remember that column and they always blocked the faces of the people doing the don'tS?

      Delete