Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Wednesday, In remembrance

     Today is the anniversary of moms death.  It is a bittersweet memory. I miss her so much sometimes.  I just want to talk to her.  I want to talk to the old mom who could give advice.  I want the old mom who made us laugh so hard.  It is hard to believe she has been gone a year.  Lil sis and I will go do something tonight, maybe go out and get something to eat and just have a memory evening.  Wish Sis were here to join us.

     I was able to get my quota of sewing done yesterday, and I still have a couple of things I need to finish tonight.  D#2 wants us up in Spokane early in the afternoon on Thursday so we will be leaving here about noon tomorrow.  I have planning and packing to do this evening.  Or I guess I could do it tomorrow morning.  We will see where my time goes today.

     Yesterday I was up early so I spent a better part of the morning going to second hand shops looking for silver.  I was able to get two more table done and only have two more to go.  I will try and look in Spokane if I have time.

     I made a double shrimp salad yesterday so Hub's could take 1/2  to a funeral of one of his buddies that died from cancer.  I cannot go as I have the littles today.  I am sending the other 1/2 to a friend of mine who is caring for her two parents that have different kinds of Alzheimers.  I also whipped up a couple of almond cakes.  One to take with us to the lake and the other for this friend.  I might make a pan of corn bread to go with the salad latter today.  She posts on facebook about becoming more and more isolated from the world as her parents get more difficult to manage.  It is my legacy to my mother to try and help her as I have been there, but I only had one not two to deal with.  The stories she tells make me laugh and cry.

     Yesterday I went to the grocer for a few things we needed.  You all know I have been trying to live off all the food we accumulated when mother was alive.  I went to make these two almond cakes and I used the last of my flour to fill the flour bucket.  I don't ever remember a time that I did not have flour in storage.  We also had two small 4 lb bags of very hard sugar left.  I did not stock up at Christmas as we had so much.  Mom loved to grocery shop and that was one thing I could do with her the last year that made her happy.  I could not believe  I was to that point at exactly a year after her death.

     Hubs and I went to the store and bought 50lbs of flour and 50 pounds of sugar.  I also stocked up on margarine for baking.  Several of mom's Swedish recipe's specifically call for margarine.  It drives me crazy to start to bake something and I never have any margarine.

     In between sewing, watering, thrift shopping, I also completed my wheelbarrow project for the back yard.


     I just wanted some color in this bare spot in the landscaping.  I had an old wheelbarrow years ago I did this with and it finally bit the dust so we will see how long this one lasts.

     Well I have to go plan a menu for the lake and  make a packing list.

     The kids will be picked up later than causal today as the dad is out of town.  I then have to run dinner into my friend and I think Hub's made a couple of missionary apartments this evening.  Plus I have to remember to get at least one bridesmaid dress done and call another to change the pickup time for tomorrow.







Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim















17 comments:

  1. I cannot believe it's been a year. Glad your sister is close enough for you to be together tonight. ... Your yard looks beautiful. Will you come do mine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know time does move swiftly, I actually love yard work.

      Delete
  2. How nice that you and your mom were close. It is hard to lose a parent. What a beautiful yard you have. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gregg, we were close but her long death with dementia was very hard. I love to be outside and do yard work.

      Delete
  3. It does not seem like a year. Time is so wicked and the older I get the worse it becomes. I hope today lets you remember all the wonderful times you had before things became so difficult for her. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. I think of you all the time with your mom and hope things are going as well as can be expected.

      Delete
  4. Hugs sweet girl. My heart goes out to you and your family. Loss is just so hard.
    I hope you and your sister to something fun to honor your Mom tonight.
    Have a safe trip my friend.
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. We just sat and talked and remembered the good times. Loss is hard and you my friend are in my thoughts constantly.

      Delete
  5. Respite for caregivers is available so the caregivers can get out in the world. I miss my mother as much now, maybe more, than I did 36 years ago when she died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be doing some respite care for my friend whose parents both suffer from dementia.

      Delete
  6. I hope you and your sister can have a good evening remembering the happy times with your mom. My mom has been gone since 2015, and I still talk to her every day, especially when something happens that would have made her laugh. Of course I don't do it around other people...

    The wheelbarrow looks great there! Really sets off the rest of the yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Val I think you should talk to her all the time when people are around. We could form a club. Crazy old ladies with dietcokes that talk to dead people.

      Delete
  7. I don't think we ever quite get over losing our mothers. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to you, Kim. Losing a parent isn't easy. HUgs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Belinda, wish you lived close so we could go to yard sales together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kim,
    You have such a large repertoire of recipes! I am wondering if you could post some more, especially the almond cake? I would be grateful!
    Thank you, in any case! Love your blog!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete