Monday, March 18, 2024

Monday, Crazy weekend

 

For someone who worked most of the weekend, this is really how I felt.

Thursday, I spent all day and I mean all day doing hand work.  I had to finish up a wedding dress that needed so much hand work.  Like hours of it and I sat in front of the TV and did this until evening when I finally finished.  Well that meant that I had not really moved my right shoulder but had used the muscles around it causing it to flair and stiffen. So, I was in pain and frustrated, as I knew better but did it anyway. The damn dress is done!

Friday, I spent a good amount of time in my yard, working on my rock project.  Actually, too much time as I really over did it.  Can you imagine me overdoing anything?

I have been having some problems with my left foot as in severe heel pain.  It is Planter fasciitis, which is common for those who have RA.  But Friday morning it attacked my right foot, and I was limping pretty badly.

It will usually abate if you keep moving but if you stop and take a break it comes raring back. So, the whole day as I was working my butt off in the yard I was also dealing with a painful set of feet.

When I came in for the day I could hardly move.  Kelsa was spending the night, and we went and got Pizza. I was worried that I was going to be very sore on Saturday, but other than my feet I was fine. I started to cut back the grape vine that was over taking the back part of the fence and I just created another mess in the yard.  But I was taking a break on the rock work, as I had broken the screen I was working with, and I just wanted to give my shoulders and arms a break. 

I came in about 2:30 and started to get ready for company.  I had the corn beef to start, and I made a dessert, and some soda bread.  I also really cleaned house. Nate and Signe" came and picked up Kelsa and Nate fixed my screen and did a couple of other honeydo jobs for me.  But as the afternoon wore on and company was expected, I became really weary and sore.  Like arthritis flaring through my whole-body sore. It was pretty terrifying.

We had a good dinner, and I think I fed everyone too well as we all went into food comas and got through just one game, and then all retired early. Auntie was ready to drop, and I did the dishes as quickly as possible and took two kinds of pain killers and went to bed!

Got up Sunday and did not feel too bad.  Woke at 10:30 and went to church then back home to take a three-hour nap. Then we went to Lil sis's for dinner and then back home to bed early.  I did play the piano for about an hour. I just felt that I needed sleep, and my feet are fine today, and I feel good. So, what was all the pain about this weekend?  I mean it was scary bad.

I can get emotional when I am in severe pain and kind of doomsday like. This is it!  It is the end! I am not going to make it! Now I am thinking... I don't know what I am thinking.

What do you think I should be thinking?

Kim

23 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your pain and the scare that came with it. I've got both flaming knee pain and a persistent headache from my tax situation. But, like you, I've got to be the tougher one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My accountant has not called me but I am terrified about my taxes also. Widowhood so fun.... NOT!

      Delete
  2. Chronic fatigue syndrome with fibromyalgia and arthritis on top and lack of sleep has me thinking for sure that this is the end. I don't know what you should be thinking, but I can only imagine how awful your pain was. I can imagine your despair. I have heard that plantar fasciitis is very painful.
    Does Kelsa ever want to sew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No just make messes. When she comes in the house explodes!

      Delete
  3. Me thinks you 'always over do'. You are so super busy - and day of rest was just what you needed. You really have to slow down a little. The world won't end if something doesn't get done today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, just keep telling me that. I so need you.

      Delete
  4. Just like Cheryl, I think you over do. You are extremely busy in the shop and now the garden and yard. Just a hint here, take it or leave it as you want. When I am going to be in the same position for an extended period of time, I set a timer and get up every 30 minutes or so and move otherwise my back, hips and shoulders would lock up and be very painful. The movement does not have to be for very long, I find 5 or 10 minutes enough to keep other things from locking or becoming painful.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to set limits with a timer also, but I get so many interruptions!

      Delete
  5. Hugs. You definitely need to make sure you are taking care of yourself, giving yourself breaks & not pushing too hard. I say this as someone who is also very likely to push themselves too hard, so I'm very sympathetic. But, it's a marathon, not a sprint, and if you try to go too fast, you won't be able to complete the race.

    Here's hoping you have a productive but reasonably relaxing week! (Hawaii Planner - logged in comments still don't work for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should be checking with your doctor over what shoes you should be wearing and NOT doing hours of hand sewing. Maybe think about a little each day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear dansko most of the year. Now hoka tennis shoes when running, walking.

      Delete
  7. when is your other sister coming to whip you into shape. I think you just overworked your body! You are always on the go. Just have to remind yourself to take it easy whenever possible. You're an awesome mom and grandmother though <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for the discomfort you have to endure. In a way, I do understand why you work the way you do because I'm a little like that too. When I start on something, I push and persevere till it's done to my satisfaction. Of course, that often means long hours of work on something and inevitably the body protests. I'm working on trying to break that habit... 30 minutes of brisk walking a day and some doorway stretches in 10 second holding pattern which are working wonderfully to keep my lower back slipped disc issues at bay.

    But the wonderful thing is you're busy and able to busy yourself. I think that's great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been a hard worker and it aggravates me when my body protests. Dang I will be 66 on Sunday!

      Delete
  9. I think you should be kinder to yourself.
    It is not worth the pain it caused you.
    It takes a toll on your body .
    I understand, I have osteo and psoriatic
    arthritis.
    You don't realize you've over done it till it's to late.
    Set a time schedule for your work then rest a bit. Listen to your body .
    I'll bet that dress turned out beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting to set a timer for outdoor work. I am sorry you have those conditions. Makes one quite sympathetic.

      Delete
    2. Gracious! I have been having hip and knee pain due to arthritis for some time now. I struggle to get through my 12 hour work days and so want to do more around the house. Even though the husband has been retired for almost a year now and I think the house should be immaculate, but alas, he is too busy smoking and watching news all day. I also go out to my parents house to help organize for a yard sale as part of settling the estate and I just can't help the way I want. I go this afternoon to get a guided injection of steroids in the hip, which supposedly is causing the knee pain. Next step is hip replacement. All this to say that when I am feeling sorry for myself and struggling to walk I just think to myself "Kim deals with her arthritis all the time and she has a much more serious condition, I can do this. You are an inspiration. BustedAndDisgusted

      Delete
  10. What an unpleasant reply
    If you cannot say something positive why say anything at all ?
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry that my reply came across as unpleasant. It was certainly not intended that way. I was trying to convey what an inspiration Kim is to me. But I will go crawl back in my corner and stay silent in the future. BUSTED&Disgusted

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the defense, Siobhan, but I can understand people getting tired of my drama. It is just my life. I want to do what I want to do with no limitations and unfortunately, I have them. I am my worst limitation!

    ReplyDelete