Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Wednesday, First Day of Spring

 

It is beautiful outside!  I have the first of the bulbs I planted blooming.  Kelsa and I went out and picked a few daffodils. It got up to 70 yesterday afternoon and I worked in the yard for about an hour.

The shop was busy all day and the day just kind of got away from me. 

My model came by, and I have a couple of designs to get done for her, so I will work on those today and then take Kelsa to Dance later this afternoon.

I don't know how that kid does it but the minute she hits the house it looks like an explosion takes place. I just ignore it until she leaves, then pick up otherwise it is a lesson in frustration.

I have been so aghast by the cost of sewing items.  We only have a JOanns here and it is small.  Plus, you all who sew know how expensive they are. I usually get most of my major supplies from a wholesale catalog. But sometimes I have to go to the store here to get ripped off.  Boning for a corset I was making was 3.99 a yard.  I needed it immediately and I bought 2 yards and needed a little more.  So, aggravating. Then I remembered I had a roll of cream twill tape that I keep on hand for costuming, and when Signe' dropped off Kelsa and said she was going to Home Depot, I asked her to find me a package of the longest zip ties they sold. I swear boning is just a zip tie encased in cloth. Walla I can make my own, for pennies on the dollar. 


I thought this was funny.  Yes, they are all in the room with me, even the sparkly unicorn named Tess.



I bought this new suit this year and had never worn it.  So, I decided St. Patrick's Day was perfect.  But I hated the way it felt at the neck.  I am surprised I did not notice this when I bought it.  It has a stand-up collar that is very itchy and uncomfortable.  So, I went into my shop and tailor tacked it back so it would stay down.  I am going to remove the collar when I get time. Also shorten the sleeves a little even though it is a petite.

Well, I am off to sew, and rip a bustier apart that I don't like the fit of. Fun. Fun...


Kim


14 comments:

  1. Just curious, with what does she explode the place? I saw some zip ties that were as large as my finger. I have never seen them so large! I did not know zip ties could be subbed for boning. Interesting.

    The good thing about sewing is we can make things work. I once bought a high end outfit, two piece. Someone had bought the smaller size skirt to go with the busty top. The smaller top was my size, but the huge straight skirt gave me plenty of fabric to work with, so I just took up the skirt. I paid like $3 for the outfit. Mama was so happy for me. She was the person who taught me how to sew.

    It is 74 here today and so pretty! I wish I could have daffodils in the house. I am so allergic to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do stuff like that all the time. Wait for thing to be really on sale and buy the largest size and then resize!

      Delete
  2. Kids being kids - she loves playing at grandmas!
    That is a really cool hack to use to twist ties. Smart thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and I am so proud to me. Don't often get to be that smart!

      Delete
  3. Kim! So nice to see you! You look lovely! And spring is arriving here in Maryland, be it slowly. Have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I wish I had Kim’s hair also. My hair is very, very thin, fine,
      as in my scalp shows through and I am somewhat bald in places, very straight, flat, chin length because it just breaks if longer, and decidedly mousy brown with flecks of gray. Think of a dog with a slight case of mange and that is my hair… lol. Cindy in the South

      Delete
    2. Cindy,
      Color your hair and it will color you scalp. Ask me how I know.

      Delete
    3. Well, my hair comes from my meds. For $5000.00 a month and horrible side affects you too can have my hair and my foot pain and the pain shooting up my forearms right now and....

      Delete
  5. Cosplayers (sp?) often use zip ties for boning, so it should work the same for you and save you a few bucks overall. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are getting into bondage, as part of your sewing ;-) (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete