Monday, December 4, 2017

Monday, Money saving madness

     Sorry about the late post but I have developed a secondary infection and I am some what down.  Yesterday was not fun to say the least.  I was cranky, and miserable, didn't want to be around myself.  Called eldest daughter and cried for and hour.  I am better today, but as the day drags on I am feeling more and more crummy.  I see the doctor tomorrow morning.  In the mean time it is lots of meds.

     I have really had this crummy cold now since the Monday before Thanksgiving and I am really sick of feeling punk.  I was getting better and then boom I took a nose dive.  Mom is at Lil sis's I think she is afraid of me.

     My house is so shameful and I am trying to get to the piles as I can.  There is still so much to do around here.  My goal for the day was to get a doctor's appointment made for a soon as possible.  I did that first thing this morning.

     I have all the laundry downstairs and I am working on it as I do other things.  I have to get into my shop today.I also want to get caramels and almond roca made.  I will try to do that later this evening if my strength allows.

  I have pulled up all the area rugs upstairs either to wash or to sweep and vacuum.  The kitchen is sticky as in every surface has been touched by mom's fingers and it is just gross.  I am trying to ignore and just clean as usual and wait to do a deep clean after all the baking is done.  As she will just trash everything again. I did manage to get a roast chicken in the oven for dinner.  Yeah!

     I started to pay the bills for the month and will get all of them out that I can later tonight.

Money saving Madness.

1. Cooked all meals at home but one.  We ordered a Pizza on special with a coupon Friday night as I was done in and starting to get sick.
2. used coupons at Joanns to purchase supplies for Christmas gifts I am making.
3.  Found a really nice remnant  for the back of some pillows I have finished.
4. found a remnant of heavy plastic for $1.27 to make a project.
5. Bought only loss leaders last week at grocer.  Two large packages of thick cut bacon and eggs, milk, also found a Prime Rib roast marked 1/2 off so splurged on that for the new year.
6. Pulled several pieces of fabric scraps from my stash to make more gifts without spending any money.
7. Baked all week long and did not purchase a thing as everything had been bought on super good loss leader sales.
8.  Made a delicious burrito recipe that can feed and army and froze most of it for later recipe as follows. Even mom liked this and ate it 4 times!

Cook 1 1/2 cups of rice, I used my rice cooker .10

1 lb. burger  .99
1 small onion chopped  free
1 large pepper chopped (free grew in garden and froze)

brown onion and pepper in a little oil add beef and cook through.

Now add
1 can corn  drained  .50
1 can  black beans do not drain .50
1 package taco seasoning ( I make my own) .3
Add cooked rice and stir.  This will make a HUGE skillet full

flour tortilla's 12 for $2.49  Or you can make your own

shredded cheese  4.99 for 2 lbs


Take a flour tortillas and spoon rice/meat mixture in and top with shredded cheese.  Roll up and add more cheese on top microwave for 1 minute.  You can now add sour cream, salsa or lettuce and tomato if you wish..  These burritos were large and one was a meal.  But I think we could have made 20 burritos with this recipe.

I estimate this meal cost us less than $2  Since it would feed a crowd it is a great money stretcher.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

24 comments:

  1. You keep pushing yourself, so I am not surprised you are worse. The same thing is happening to me since I continue, also, to push myself. I am very ill and wheezing. I will go to dr Wednesday if not lots better. Plus, my finger tip is inflamed again. grrr.

    Yet, I still get up and do stuff. Thankfully, I don't have as much to do as you.

    I make that same recipe but add crushed/diced tomatoes. I love it and eat it from a bowl...lol. Mavis has it as taco casserole. Delish!

    Maybe we will both get better by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim,

    I sure hope the doctor fixes you up. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I hope so also, can't wait to get on an antibiotic so I can get better.

      Delete
  3. You need some fire cider. Look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest is what you need! As they say there is no rest for the weary. Hope you are on the mend soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to take it easy, but I have been doing that as far as the house was concerned for about 3 weeks now and it is just so bad I can't stand it.

      Delete
  5. Mom! For the love of Pete go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tis the most wonderful time of year....lol. SLOW DOWN, feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop everything, drink some hot tea or hot lemonade or something hot and lay your tail down and rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would so love to as mom is upstairs burning krumkakke.

      Delete
  8. Same thing happened to me - I was sick from before Thanksgiving and then it seemed like I was getting better when BAM! worse than before. I started doing the neti pot and taking my allergy meds, but sleep was the best thing EVER! Sleeping until I woke up and staying home 3 days straight. I hope, hope, hope, you can get that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not until after the weekend and then mom's open house will be over and she will turn into a brat because the center of attention is not on her.

      Delete
  9. Scotch, lemon juice, honey + boiling water. Works for me and you'll sleep like a log which is very healing also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so very sorry that you are feeling so bad Kim. I pray that your appointment went well at the doctor. I hope you are on antibiotics and will be on the mend very soon. ((((((HUGS))))) My hanai daughter just had to go into the doctor too for the same thing. Poor girl has bronchitis and a touch of pneumonia. We always worry about her because she also has severe asthma and we have come close to losing her several times in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to get rest with mom. She just requires so much time.I could go to bed earlier but then I have no alone time and I need alone time.

      Delete
  11. Leave a stack of brochures on the table for nursing homes and assisted living homes. If she asks why, just tell her you need rest and are not getting it. okay, I am being mean. but it might work.

    I slept all day but had not slept a wink last night. I can barely breathe but only cough about once every three hours.

    ReplyDelete