Thursday, January 30, 2020

Thursday, slow but....

     I swear the guy painting upstairs is slow. He is always running up and down stairs and out taking a smoke break.  If he does not finish that ceiling and those walls today I am going to freak. I was able to get part of the fireplace painted last night and also a coat on the first side of the pocket doors. We have 7 doors to trim around and paint up to, and his finish work was not good.  So he has to redo all the edges of the doors. He will not be paid for poor work.

     The handy man is in putting the trim up in mom's room, we should be able to get that set back up sometime tomorrow or this weekend.  That will be so nice.  I can have my basement back.

     Hub's and I just picked up our friends mother to take her to the veterans home to see her husband.  I had to laugh as I supposed she would be ready.  What was I thinking?  It was like reliving my life with mom. She was in the bathroom and I had to actually turn off the TV, holler and find her. She then had to fix her hair and go find socks and put on her shoes.  We had to find her glasses and her purse and each of these things took several trips around the house.  She needed help with her socks.  Then I had her write my phone # down to put in her pocket so she could call for me to pick her up. She left the number on the pad and I had to go back and make her take it.  It was almost 1/2 an hour to get her into the car.  Then she was lost when we got to the home, but there was staff to help. Hubs and I had a good laugh about it.  The patience you need to deal with dementia in all of its forms.
      
     I am so sick of this and I am sure you are sick of me being sick about it. Who takes 5 hours to put trim around a room and then doesn't finish, not even 1/2 done?  It is ridiculous.  At 40.00 and hour I have now put over $1000.00 into mom's room and I did the painting. Haven't even gotten the bills for the carpet.  I do have to say the carpet people were in and out in an hour.  That was tearing up the old and gluing down the new.  I am just shaking my head and I want to scream.

     I do have to say that the ceiling and walls are done but now we need to do the rest of the trim and it has a 24 hour dry time.  I guess I am putting on my paint clothes. This contractor has 2.5 hours left to finish his work.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.
    
Kim

15 comments:

  1. cripes! I'd be hovering and pointing out things he missed. But that's just me...
    I'm sorry you've got chaos and anxiety there! If I could come over and whip him into shape, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have had him quote you a price for the job, not by the hour. He might have worked faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I will never do this again. My handy man works by the hour and he is great, so I thought this would be fine. I am so happy I gave him a set # of hours. That is the only thing saving me.

      Delete
  3. Is the $40/hour guy trying to run up his pay? Next time, get a quote for the job. As for the smoking, I had to point out to someone working at my house that working 15 minutes was not long enough working to get a smoke break. Is he on his phone? I had to demand that be left home or in car. Is this the guy you are trading work for sewing? Somehow get what he leaves done without paying for it. Invite your family over. Oh, I see Alice said same about quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will remove his smoke breaks, don't worry. I also will not leave here when he is working, so I can keep an eye on him.

      Delete
  4. I am wondering if he is purposely going slow to run up his hourly rate Kim? Contractors are often known to do this. Sometimes its best to get a quote for the whole job rather than an hourly rate. It does drive you bonkers I know. Oh - just read the other comments & see they think the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am sure he is doing that, but now he has to finish and he doesn't have the time and he does not get paid the rest until he finishes and so sloppy work.

      Delete
  5. He seems like both a creep, if he is trying to up his hours, or lazy. I'm still working on our list and budget for home stuff. I know your efforts will be worth it with a nice sale, or nicer living if you stay put.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know SAM I just keep telling myself that. What is an additional $200.00 when you sell the house for your asked price?

      Delete
  6. I always add that if they go over hours it's a penalty and if they get done early and the work is good I give a bonus.

    ReplyDelete