Thursday, April 14, 2022

Thursday, blessed with a dental plan, Thrifty


 Can you see the little bird, on the suet, on top of the fence post?  We nail a suet tray there most of the time. Also look at the seed tray under the table.  I wonder why there are no birdies?  Could it be possible there is a Puddy Cat? Doesn't she just look irritated?

It was snowing large flakes when I went out to feed the chickens. Red lodge Montana got 30 inches of snow yesterday.  This is crazy weather. I would like to get outside this weekend for a while and maybe spray those pots and do a little more transplanting, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Yesterday was busy.  I of course took off to get errands done and in my true ADHD way, forgot to get measurements of the zippers I needed, also left my cell phone at the Native American store. Well, it is better than getting to church and realizing I forgot to put on a bra or looking down and realizing I had only shaved one leg. Kim needs a keeper.  Errands seemed to take forever, and when I finally was home to get sewing done and I had a long list, I received a call from daughter to come to clinic in ana hour, she had an opening for me. SO off I went for an hour at the dentist, where I had no cavities. Teeth are in great shape for a woman my age. Now it is almost time to make Hubs dinner as he has an early shift at the high school. I told him to heat up some hot dogs open a can of beans and have the last of the popovers.  Yes that is the kind of wife I was.

Then I attacked the list with true fervor.  Did I get everything done? No!  But I got enough to make me feel like the day was not a total waste.  I still have bustling hooks and a little hem work to do on the wedding dress that is due out today.  But it will only take a few minutes.  I was up very late trying to get it done.

I also started on the zippers and I am going today where I left off yesterday and hopefully get two more wedding dresses pulled and started for next week. I need to get those suits I ripped yesterday done, and the prom dress and the pile.  But that is it for today.  Did I get cookie dough made.  NO. It just may never get done.

So, our daughter, who is in high demand made a deal with her dentist. He wants her there for more days, and she cannot with two little kids, nor is she willing to take on more hours.  But he did agree that she could put us on a dental insurance plan that pays for x-rays, cleanings, and checkups. If we need work it will be at a 20% discount. She is paying in exchange for us sitting the kids.  We do so much for her and we want to, we would do it regardless. Dental care is so expensive and to have this is a God send.  Neither Hubs nor I have been to the dentist since before B was married.  Probably 3.5 years. Luckily we both brush and floss daily and have good teeth.  But to have this worry eliminated is such a blessing. I was preparing to save $500.00 after Hub's hearing aids were paid for to get us into a dentist for cleanings and check ups.

Thrifty Thursday:

1. saved all my coins

2. saved $5.00 bills. I have completely screwed this up and have no idea how many I saved this week, as I bundle them into 100 dollar lots. But it was a bang-up week for 5's again and I am thinking $90.00. So total for the year is $825?  

3. saved a $1,$5,$10,$20, bill

4. cooked from scratch, using up broccoli, milk, and things that needed to be used.

5. ordered 2 pairs of new summer sandals from posh mark.  One pair is in.  I paid $26.00 for brand new Dansko's that would have been $140.00.

6. Used coupons at Joanns allowing me more money from client. I pass the savings onto myself.

7. Bought only loss leaders at store last week to put in pantry

8. Daughter paid to have my dental work done that is a biggy!  Educate your children.  They can be your biggest assets

9.  I have been feeding Roscoe treats and food left over from my Lil sis' dog that passed away.  I got a huge box of food. Roscoe does not mind

10. Stopping and picking alfalfa for chickens. It grows along the road

11.Planning the Easter menus and a signing out food, so I don't' have to do it all.

12. Mended an embroiders pillowcase, it is getting thin, but I am loath to give it up.

13. Wear clothes every day that Sissie sent to me. Blouses, and sweaters and sox.

Not a very long list, as I have not really been out, just trying to catch up in the sewing room, and then I wonder why I try?

Well, I am off to the salt mines.  What did you do this week to save money?


Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.


Kim

20 comments:

  1. I haven't been anywhere besides work so haven't spent a dime. Picking up our meat order and groceries this weekend so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No store for me this week. Just using what I have.
    What a great thing on the dental plan. That is wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter worked out a great deal for you guys. She is a gem. I did my shopping when I got back home and no more spending for me with the exception of fresh veggies and/or salad fixings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to have this, it really does give me peace of mind.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for reaching out to me, Kim. The post that disappeared was my goof, but I put up one in its place, starring you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I do worry about you. And as you grow weaker I worry more. Have a blessed Easter. I too have Jewish roots as my great, great grandparents, came from Russia, during pogroms to Sweden and then to Canada, finally settling in the Dakotas. By that time they were Sudō Christian? But a lot of the heritage stuck. Like the sense of tragic humor, we are all very funny. Many, many Yiddish words. Some recipe's, and the very unruly curly hair, deep blue eyes, and of course the nose. Always with the Jewish nose.

      Delete
  5. Have your daughter check out Physican's Mutual dental insurance. It might be a better deal for you and daughter.

    When I was rushing and working sewing, I needed a keeper, too. After that, I just needed a keeper....lol. Seriously, having so much to do is stressful. Be careful.

    So, are you going to make more ribbon skirts later?

    I picked up lots of free fruits and vegetables and even shared some of those. Plus, I buy only loss leaders or reduced foods beyond milk, salad greens, and bananas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting things from free sorces is such a blessing.

      Delete
  6. I guess I didn't know your daughter was a dental hygienist. I'd say she's in demand. I love mine- same one for 35 years- her straight out of school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and she has and anesthesia license with it, so she can give all the shots, something the doctors don't like to do. They would rather have you dislike the hygienist. She had to go to school longer and take more exams to get this, but boy has it paid off. Her schooling actually cost more than sending the eldest to law school. She was able to pay off all her school loans in 3 years.

      Delete
  7. We don’t have dental, either, and i’m going through an implant, in the front! No savings there. Swallow and pay. Awesome deal for you, though! Our children work at teaching, meat manager and finance. We get money advice and meat advice but no actual meat! You still work too hard.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I would be looking for some meat mama! I know how expensive implants are and it is crazy!

      Delete
  8. you got a good deal on those sandals! and great to be on the dental plan, it can be expensive at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be such a major expense when you are older.

      Delete
  9. Having your daughter be able to put you on the work dental plan is an extreme bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our local dentist has a lot of cash patients... at least 75 % of his patients are Amish or elderly. He charges $150 for cleaning and check. Gives 5 % discount if you pay cash. He has separate charges if you just want cleaned or just want checked. We couldn't find any insurance that could justify buying because of his prices. His "other" work is the same what the out of pocket of the dental ins.

    ReplyDelete