Monday, October 24, 2022

Monday, when you are dragging, do something fun!


 Since I was having a hard time getting myself motivated to get anything done, I decided to work on a long overdue project. We have been in this house now for a little over two years and I have yet to get the Master bedroom and bath the way I want them and as I had gathered most of the things, I decided to get that done-on Saturday!

This involved three trips to Wally world, to exchange things, and a trip to a secondhand store to buy a large picture frame. But I got the Master bedroom and bath exactly the way I wanted them except for one picture that needs to be reframed (might have that done professionally)

As you know I can hold onto things and repurpose things over and over.  I had to laugh as I perused the things was replacing.  Two gold bath sheets that were over 27 years old. A shower curtain that daughter had, had in her house before she got rid of it, and I nabbed it, that was at least 15 years old.

Of course, Kim got out her spray paint and went to town saving, lamp shades, a trash can that I know is over 20 years old, A picture frame and some decor and a shelf for the bathroom.  All of these things I have had for years, and they have been painted and repainted.

I love Navy and white I think it is so crisp and clean.  When I was in St. Louis at my niece's wedding, I picked up a duvet cover and sheets in a navy and white.  I needed to replace a set of sheets that were pilly and old. While I was with Sissy shopping, I was able to find some really nice regular pillowcases in navy and white stripe.

The pillows on our bed desperately needed replaced.  They were flat and awful.  My Sissie also had a mattress topper on her bed that I just loved.  After staying at nice places with nice linens I was inspired to do something about our bed. Here are the results and it is so comfortable.  The topper made all the difference on this old mattress.


I sprayed the lamp shades, and the lamps I found at Wal mart 75% off.  Even the clerk said she was thinking of getting the lamps I found for $5.76 a piece.  The old brass ones will go in the spare room. I also found this huge picture frame with glass for the girl's photo.  It was just in a cheap plastic frame that we had from an old poster.  I went to a secondhand store and bought the frame with the mat, and it was 50% off day so I purchased it for $4.36.  Then I spray painted the frame navy blue.  It now is matted and has glass and looks better.


This pillow was purchased in Hawaii, and I kept the dresser scarf, and the antique rocker with the same light grey upholstery that I did about a year ago. Now the green picture of hubs and I am going to have done by someone else. 

See the mirror?  That was on the servant's staircase at the big house that my stepdad was raised in, in Sweden.  He remembers the servants checking their uniforms and hair in it, before they went down to take care of things during parties or to serve dinner.  In the drawer were combs and brushes and lint remover for uniforms.  He and his brothers and sisters were relegated to the upstairs.


I spray painted the shelf and the wall plaque and replaced the rugs which I know were 15 years old.  I had the master bath in our old house done in sage green and gold, for 22 years.  I think I got the goody out of my things. I am really happy with this and so is hubs.

I did want to put up room darkening shade and reuse long navy curtains from Lil sis's house but hub's nicked that idea.  He just like the windows the way they are, and I do have to take his feeling into account.

So, it was a busy all day getting things painted and placed where I wanted them.  I am happy and this will last a long, long time, I am sure.

On Sunday we did the missionary loop.  I had made a huge pot of stew on Saturday, and we ate off that.  I am taking the remainder to Lil sis for her boyfriend for dinner along with homemade biscuits.

By the way I had 3 wedding dresses come in today and I have to get one that came in last week ready for a fitting tomorrow.  Lots of hand work. So, no rest for the wicked here.  I want to make a large batch of Sour cream sugar cookies to frost with Schmills and Kelsa this week.  So, Kim is back on the run again. I am so glad she is back.

By the way last Friday after Nate picked up Kelsa, I slept all Friday afternoon.  It was lovely no clients.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

27 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, the bedroom and bath look really lovely, you have a good eye! Turns out all you need is time ;). And pep ;). I don’t understand why I find your travails so fascinating but I do, thank you for this blog, I find it relaxing and positive. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hilogene, this is to remind you to get a life my dear. But I love you dearly so keep reading.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty, Miss Kim. My mind is so racing I can't begin to think of getting stuff done here, so as usual, I live vicariously through others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend a lot of time doing that also. The shop is so busy again and I just got back. EEEK!

      Delete
  3. Love it. You did a fantastic job and it all looks so nice together. Love the blue and white. Great remodel and so very frugal as well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I love to redo things and I really love doing it on the cheap!

      Delete
  4. Love navy and have it all over our house. What are your missionary rounds? Is that what I would think of as the Mormon missionaries that come round?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hub's and I are in charge of checking missionary apartments in the Spokane mission zone. We have 7 apartments that we check every 2 months for problems. Are the missionaries happy, is there anything broken, have they damaged anything? Remember these are 18 and 19 year old kids. As the church rents the apartments, they want them kept up by the young men and young women. Since the zone is so large getting to the out of town Idaho apartments means an 8 hour round trip for the housing steward if there is a problem. So we do the 5 hour loop and report back to the zone. We also fix anything that is wrong and make sure apts. are clean and safe. Yes we are Mormons.

      Delete
  5. I've lost track of the number of things I've updated with spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The navy and white looks great!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I think about you all the time and admire your work ethic and stamina to handle life.

      Delete
  7. Hello! I absolutely love the navy and white!!! It looks great. Bet you slept good in that comfy, cozy bed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, everything looks so crisp and clean. You did a wonderful job.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the navy and white! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy, Jethelyn just went to Boise to see a sentencing of a defendant that has sent her several death threats. He got 12 more years in federal prison after he serves out in Idaho. You don't threaten a prosecutor.

      Delete
    2. I am so glad he got a stiff sentence. I am always looking over my shoulder. Cindy in the South

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love blue and white. It is always crisp looking. And, I love a can or two of spray paint. I may never use a paint brush again.

    Taking a break and making something nice in my house was always fun, even if it was only a new pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would turn my bed to face the window even if it meant my room looked stupid just to wake up to that view. Rooms look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband finds the light on the river calming at night.

      Delete
  12. I love the blue and white. Blue is a very relaxing color. I also love the shelves that match your bed. Hope the rest of your week is productive but peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. We had this entire set built by a friend. I love it so much detail in his work.

      Delete
  13. This is inspiring me, I have a load of navy and white things (everything including a large area rug …. ) for a spare guest bedroom upstairs my son moved out about 5 years ago and it’s stuffed!! He has his own 3 bedroom house with a huge attic. Time to really get serious!! He and Dil will go through it again. Time to set a deadline! I have to paint it though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I wish I was there to help you. We could have such a good time and I promise a lot of laughs.

      Delete