Thursday, October 27, 2022

Thursday, mystery solved and Thrifty doings

 

I lost my American Express sky miles card when we were traveling.  One thing I do every day when traveling is take stock of my money and receipts and CC's.  I actually clean out my purse and in doing this realized my card was missing right away.  So was able to call and get it cancelled.  Well, Sissie called me, and she found the card in her car.  So that mystery is solved.  I am always very careful with my things as in (money, cc's) when traveling.  So, to find out I got home without it that night was a little discombobulating. 

Also, I told you about my disappointment with Delta airlines. I had purposely booked my flights through them and paid almost twice the usual fair that I can get from Travelocity. But with all the problems the airlines are having, if you use one of those sites and you miss a connection, they will not help you.  You have to rebook through the Travelocity trip advisor.  This can mean a long 24 hour wait and a hotel stay.  

Well, the connections to my flights were so close together that it was impossible to get to them on time.  I missed the one connection going into DC, on the way home I ran yes ran and it was a little over 2 miles, to get to my gate only to see the plane loading.  I could not believe after running for what seemed like hours turning a corner and seeing a sign that said B gates another 7-minute walk.

I was offered 100 off my next trip by Delta and I said no that is not enough compensation for the overly priced ticket and the service I received. I was very polite and kind but insisted that $100 was not fair.  Now I had to jump through hoops, but I was just awarded enough points for another airline ticket. Well worth the time it took to complain higher up. Now I think both myself and Hubs can fly free to DC at Christmas.  It pays to complain nicely.  I was very positive to the people I talked to about what was good about Delta, as in their staff was so nice. 

 Always put a criticism in an OREO.  I learned this while teaching. If a student was making a mistake and not doing a step correctly in a number, I would stop the class and go to that dancer and say, "I love the way to did this.  But you need to correct this." Then I would have the student do the thing I liked for the class.  As in," watch Nancy, see how well this is done?  Now, Nancy correct this part, then we can all watch how well you can do it." If the step was hard and Nacy was struggling, I would just say," Now, you know how to do it and you will work on it and get it. " Always, praise, correct, praise. It almost always worked.  If a student was really shy or sensitive, I would demonstrate what they were doing wrong and purposely screw it up, in a funny way to make the class laugh.  Then would say," no. no it was not that bad, please do not do it that way." It always made the dancer feel better about the correction if the teacher messed up.

Thrifty doings:

1. saved all my spare change, found .41 cents this week

2. saved all my $5.00 now have $50.00

3. no longer saving the $36.00 will start over after Christmas

4. cooked and ate all meals at home from scratch.

5. downloaded receipts to fetch

6. purchased a loss leader 3 lb package of burger

7. re did master bedroom and bath with thrifted things and things bought on good sales and of course spray paint.

8. spent time shelling sunflowers for extra chicken fee,

9. bought gas at least expensive station

10.still continue to get my diet coke daily at the circle Kay saving me loads of money every month.

What have you done this week to save money?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim




17 comments:

  1. Food for thought: I keep my CC in an RFID sleeve. I pull the sleeve out of my wallet and hold that red sleeve until the card is back and in my wallet. Having that sleeve in my hand is a great reminder! So happy for you it wasn't stolen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to cancel it within a 1/2 an hour of its use so I felt pretty safe. But that is a good idea!

      Delete
  2. I love that you list but the diet Coke daily to save money. Is that because it saves fines and court fees? We'll done getting adequate compensation from Delta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does save on murder and mayhem. Mormon coffee...:)

      Delete
  3. A little sugar goes a lot farther than vinegar!!! I wish more people would be kind and thoughtful even when complaining. It serves no one to get all nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Cheryl!!! So many constant complainers and it ends up coming off as entitlement. Not good. Love the kindness and factual approach you took on the flights. You probably made the difference on someone having a good day or a bad day at work.

      Delete
    2. Well I know complaining politely, is the only way to go. Well unless they won't give your husband pain meds and he is crying out in pain, then I got a little hostile.

      Delete
  4. I always corrected students that way, but never heard it called an Oreo. I wonder how your card ended up with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously I did not get it into my wallet and it slipped out in the car.

      Delete
  5. Glad the amex card was left at Sissie's house. I think a bottle of my magnesium tablets went to her house too. She is very popular.
    I am going to start actively hunting for change, just to be competitive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and you have to buy stellar deals when you find them. The way groceries are going up[ you may never see a price for ground beef that cheap again.

      Delete
    2. I know, you buy when you can. I have 4 points that will expire by the end of the month so I will go use them for $8 off meat at Albertsons.

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, That sounds like a mad dash to get to your connecting flight only to miss it. Im glad they made it right though with the free miles. I love the way you taught your dancers how to correct a problem,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was only right. To put flights 20 minutes apart and then to have to traverse 2 miles between gates is just not fair in any ones court.

      Delete
  7. Yes kindness goes a long way and almost always brings better results.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right with the complaining nicely thing Kim. One time my Mum & I were getting a rental car - the lady behind the counter was just so awful. I said to Mum "look at that ladies beautiful finger nails & rings". She changed her whole attitude & was nice as anything (well nice for her). When we were walking away my Mum said to me "why were you so nice to that awful lady". I said Sshhh just like you do to little children 😉😉

    ReplyDelete