Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Wednesday, Dismal Groceries.


 As I am on a no spend grocery challenge until after Christmas, I am only buying what I need if we don't have a particular item.  I am trying to only use what I have and plan all my menus around what is in the freezer or pantry. But I still peruse the Wednesday grocery adds for any deals that might be too good to be true. 

So, this week there was a buy a three-pound package of good quality burger for $1.99 a pound but you are limited to one and have to have it on your app. This way you can't go back and buy another.  I went and picked it up.   I have not seen burger for that price for a long time.

But I felt sorry for the other people at the store who were trying to buy groceries.  I cannot imagine what the bills would be. I am so grateful for my pantry and stockpile, and freezer.  To be able to just go open the freezer and pull-out chicken breasts and go get stock out of the pantry.  Getting potatoes out of the bin where we store what we picked out of the garden is such a blessing.  Then frying up a large skillet of green beans that I picked last week from our vines.  Whipping up a batch of baking powder biscuits to soak up the chicken gravy.  All of this without going to a store.

Later today I will be making up the rest of the sour cream sugar cookie dough.  I will frost with butter cream frosting, the butter I purchased for $1.99 a pound and the powdered sugar purchased last Christmas for .99 for 2 pounds.  My recipe makes 10 dozen cookies.  But don't worry, I have lots of people to feed them to, like church ladies with birthdays and my Lil sis.  I am sure Schmills will want to take some to his class.

So today I will actually roll and cut out the cookies I was going to do yesterday. Put the kids off until Thursday, for frosting some of them.  I am the messiest of cooks and when I make cut out cookies, I swear flour is all over the house.  I walk through it and then leave fairy prints everywhere I go.

I want to get a few things done in the shop and the bride that was coming yesterday cancelled and is due in today late this afternoon. Hubs is up watching Oliver and then has to be at the high School at 4 so he will not have much time between getting home and going. I will not be cooking dinner today as we have leftovers.  I love leftovers, not so much to eat as to keep me from having to cook.


Do any of you make cutout frosted cookies for the holidays?  If you do what recipe do you use?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim


23 comments:

  1. Hi, I wrote a long rant about the cost of groceries and the terrible ads then hit the wrong key and poof, it was gone ;). Anyway, I agree that the ads are horrible. And I just updated my freezer and pantry inventory lists so I know what we have. I don’t make cookies very often, but anytime I do anything involving lots of flour it is a snowstorm that takes a lot of effort to clean up, not sure why ;). Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way. I swear what is wrong with me?

      Delete
  2. Those of us that have pantries and freezers are so blessed. I agree - so nice to fix whatever you want from what you have at home. Love it.
    I love cut out cookies - I do them around holidays. I use a butter cookie recipe my mom used. I will post one day soon. Powdered sugar icing is what I use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a huge stockpile,but try to shop smart/ alter plans. I'm fortunate I can do so. I hate making rollout cookies. My sister and I used to buy sheet's of rollout cookie dough from the bakery. It's changed hands so no longer an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people really don't like the time involved and it is messy. Why do I do this I always ask myself when I am in the middle of the mess.

      Delete
  4. I am now in rebuilding the pantry and fridge/freezer mode. This new house has a $7K professional fridge/freezer(about the only good thing IN this house. lol)Each side is 18.6 cu. ft. I could hide lots of dead bodies in there but it's so tall I need a step stool to get to the top parts in there. I don't have a pantry per se here but lots of doors and drawers in this kitchen so we'll see where we can cram stuff. So I will be in full on acquisition mode for awhile. The price of butter is ridiculous here but sweet potatoes are cheap(for now). There is a farmer who sets up veggies at the main intersection of the small town near us, in front of a vacant store. His hours are irregular but I'll try to catch him this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a glowing review of the house! Did you buy something you hate?!!

      Delete
    2. Okay above comment is out of line. I saw D's post about the property, and it is lovely. There were many things about this house that I was not fond of, but I do love the view. As in hate the laundry room, don't like granite counters tops, never have liked granite counter tops they remind me of dead animal skin, I don't have a gas stove, the bathtubs are not cast iron, there are tile floors in the bathrooms. I miss my hardwood floors. But I have adjusted. I love the size and the bills that come with it. I love that Hubs does not have the yard work he had before. You will adjust. Making a major move is always hard. I can't wait to see the place. That back covered deck is to die for. I can't imagine having that kitchen it is lovely.

      Delete
    3. Tuesday there’s always that somebody! Ha! I live on a river I love makes up for some of the house things I don’t! No house is perfect. Even one you specifically build, later things you’d do differently. Jre

      Delete
  5. The last time I rolled out cookies, I was in high school. I gave that up rather quickly. I rarely buy anything at the store. This week, I bought a green bell pepper for meat loaf. I told Tommy I was not cooking the meatloaf because I am tired. He is not thrilled to eat chicken again. But, he microwaved a bag of assorted vegetables. he seems happy or maybe he is just resigned. lol. There is nothing of note in the ads except for grapes at $0.99/lb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a crate full of green peppers in the garage, I wish you were close. I am also making meatloaf today this is the second time we have made meat loaf on the same day. Are we somehow connected?

      Delete
  6. Eventually our freezers and pantries will be depleted and we will have to refill and be just like everybody else. Enjoy it while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope so, for some reason I am not seeing much progress.

      Delete
  7. I shudder every time I head out the door to buy anything now. I am hoping for a sale on beef product this coming week as I am down to only one roast and a pile of ground beef. I need to stock up on stew meat and perhaps some less expensive cuts of steak.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually made my own stew meat with a cheap roast. But beef is less expensive here.,

      Delete
  8. none of the kids like roll out cookies. They are into snickerdoodles made by Hubby(we have 2 that can blind taste them and know which one of us made them) and a oatmeal bar cookie that I put King Arthur's fruit blend in.
    We don't get ads here. I have to go online to see what the sells are. Have a friend that lets me know if they see something in my price point even though they are an hour away. We are that way every two weeks.
    I am stocked mostly. Pepperoni, G&R bologna, ham, turkey to can an maybe a prime rib for Christmas eve, as we might have a few extra mouths at the table which means what is in the freezer isn't big enough. LOL
    I only need dairy and a few fresh veggies every 2 or 3 wks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a prime rib and a ham I need to use. I will have to have missionaries over for ham.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE making rolled out sugar cookies and decorating them is so much fun..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Lori, i guess I must love it too as I do it several times a year. But the mess......

      Delete
  10. I'm not a big fan of rolled cookies, and I'm a horrible baker. Not my thing. But I understand the dilemma about cost of groceries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is getting pretty crazy the prices. Thank goodness for my mad skills.

      Delete
  11. Like everyone else who commented on groceries, we too are watching our purchases closely, eating from our freezer and pantry, and making different choices ("Do we really need to buy that?"). I worry about folks on a fixed income who have fewer options as the prices rise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't made cut-out cookies for several years. Unsure about this year--depends on my lower spine/pinched nerves issues. Pain is moderate at the moment, but it's variable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

    The recipe I use is from a 1933 Detroit Times cookbook my mother and aunt (her slightly older sister) purchased in 1934 or 1935 in their first apartment after my mother graduated high school. Both were working full time for about a year before they could afford it.

    I remember having to ask my mother what an ice box was the first time I read the recipe--around age 6. LOL

    Had to ask my father what a running board on a car was the following year when I read my first Nancy Drew library book. They only carried older editions of series books. Story was the same as newer editions, just a few confusing details for the young mind! :-)

    Anyone else have similar experiences growing up?

    ...Taja 🏜️

    ReplyDelete