Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Tuesday, Marie Kondo all the rage

     January seems to be the month that everyone in the nation (world) starts new goals and usually one of them is to get rid of clutter and things not needed.  I am no exception.  One of my January goals was to downsize 500 things from my home.  I am about 1/2 way done and yesterday finally got the Hub's on board to work on his things.

     Marie Kondo is all the rage right now.  She is sweet and fun to watch on netflix. I have read many articles on people for and against her method of cleaning.  Certainly I (we) all have too much stuff.  We are consumer driven and shopping has become a national past time. Even saving money can make you spend money.  I know from my own experience.There are yeahs and nays to any method of cleaning or getting rid of clutter.

     These are the things I have taken away from her method.

1. folding your clothing her way does take up much less space.
2. Does that spark joy?  (this is becoming a national phrase) well your toilet plunger does not spark joy unless you need it and then you really need it. Toilet plungers can spark all kinds of joy let me tell you. I have one in every bathroom. I decorate them with little skirts to match my decor.  (okay that last sentence was a joke , I was trying to see if you were really reading) 
3. All things in one place.  Great idea.  But I want some scotch tape in my desk drawer, shop and upstairs.  I think the real message here is know where you scotch tape is on all three levels.
4.We save things for two reasons.  I love this concept of hers.
     a.  guilt as in I spent good money on that even though I don't wear it.  I got that from Great Aunt Selma, even though I hate it.  So we keep items, many, many items because we feel guilty.  I am all over  this one.  So I (we) keep things, and every time we see them we have a twinge of guilt.  I agree with Marie get rid of it.  This is a new concept for me.  Even thanking the item for it's use to you is a great idea.  It re leaves a little of the guilt.
    b.  Fear but what if I need that someday?  Someday will probably never come.  Those outdoor hiking boots you bought and have never worn because they were such a good deal ?  But, but what if the zombie apocalypse strikes? Well find a dead zombie your size and take hers.  Problem solved.  How about the syringes and alcohol pads that are taking up 1/4 of a bathroom drawer?  But, but what  if I go back on another medication that needs to be injected?  Well the pharmacy will give you more, or in the case of a Zombie apocalypse you can break into a drug store if you have any medication you need to inject.  So every time I open my bathroom drawer I remember to fear the future.  I am deathly afraid of Zombies.
5.  Once you have completed her method you never need to do it again. Other than routine maintenance.  Many people are debunking this concept.They argue we will always have to constantly de clutter and I agree we always will. Because the real root is consumerism and our incessant need for more.  I have always said and truly believe that you cannot organize clutter.  SO buying storage totes for things is not the answer.  Unless it is for seasonal decorations kept to a level that makes you happy.

     Right now Hub's has a very large hamper and I mean large holding his work clothes from his job that he retired from 3 years ago.  He also has a long boot chest in the basement under the stairs full of fire gear and boots. His closet has several pairs of boots.  He wears none of  these.  But, but he might need them. We are working on this.  I gave up my toe shoes and Irish jig shoes long ago.

     I had 8 spatulas in my kitchen.  I could never find a spatula.  I would hunt in three  or four drawers.  The kitchen remodel allows me to have more drawers!  So I can't find anything.  When I had one drawer I could always find a spatula.  Also many of these cheap spatulas would come apart when I stirred a heavy batter.  Frustration.  Searching for the head of a rubber spatula in heavy dough. I went through the 8 I have and 7 of the large ones came apart, they are now in the trash. I have discovered that I really need two large so I will replace one eventually.  As I cook a lot I mess things up and need multiples, but not 8 and especially not 7 that bring me no JOY. I now have a place for my spatula, what a concept!

Your thoughts?  How much stuff do you hold onto out of guilt and fear?

     I will be working on getting rid of things today after I get my sewing done.  The shop was very busy yesterday and I have enough work to keep me busy all week plus many things to get out by Friday.  I am blessed with work.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

 

10 comments:

  1. I am not much of one to keep things out of guilt or fear. If anything, I am quick to get rid of stuff. I can think of exactly 3 instances in 30 years in which I regret getting rid of something. The first was a set of grocery premium China my mother had given me when I was in college. When I hit my 30's, I decided wasn't my style. Turns out, it was. Happily enough, I found another complete set for a song at a thrift shop, and it went home with me. (My mother was none the wiser, by the way.) The other "mistake" occurred when we planned our move to the west coast. I decided to give away a bedroom set and desk that I didn't envision in the house we had bought. We had a new suite delivered when we flew up to close on the house, and were trying to lighten the load as much as possible. In retrospect, I wish I had kept that set, as I could put them to great use in the place we are building now. At the time, though, we were told that the cost to move was as much as the cost to buy a new set and have it delivered locally, so unless we really loved it, it was wise to get rid of it. If we kept it, the set with a plan to use when the kids got older, it simply would have bided its time in the musty, dusty garage for a good bit of time anyway. I didn't like that thought, so I decided to give them to somebody who really appreciated them. I find now, though, that I am looking to find that same style again!
    In any case, What I learned from these "mistakes", is 1)It is rare that I regret removing something from my home, even in terms of bigger items such as the bedroom set, and 2)If you do it's not the end of the world! You CAN replace these things. And even so, the regret is nothing compared to the freeing feeling I get from clearing out unused things.
    I don't like to keep things out of guilt. I don't feel it honors somebody if you feel resentment every time you come across an item that you are keeping out of guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. I feel the same way. If I get rid of something chances are I can replace it. I am hard pressed to think of anything I have gotten rid of that I needed later.

      Delete
  2. I will have to check out this show. I thought I had uncluttered but I still have stuff that I have not used or needed since then. My hubby is of the attitude if one is good, two is great and if two is great, four is necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading and hearing all about Marie Kondo lately, so I subscribed to her Youtube channel, but have yet to watch any videos. Good for you for getting rid of the spatulas that no longer serve a good purpose. I just cleaned out a kitchen drawer yesterday of bread ties and junk. It feels good to get things declutter and organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I hold onto stuff that is really broken. I am not talking about Hubby.

      Delete
  4. I read her book... some was okay but some I felt was extreme. I do fold my clothes what people call her way. It's how clothes were folded when my grandparents grew up so it's stuck in the family. I put my spatulas, whips, etc in clear plastic koolaid pitchers. The extra large ones are with the cookie sheets for when I am baking that amount. Now talk about strainers???? Old Sifters???? RECIPES !!!! LOL After moving here in Sept. Hubby definitely agreed he needed to go through ALL his tools... which at last count is 20 different tool boxes from 3 being mechanic tool boxes on wheels(no he is not a mechanic)to small carry by hand. We will see how that goes this summer when it's not 40 below zero like today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what we can hold onto. especially men. I think they are the worst.

      Delete
  5. I am always needing to declutter, but I've done well not bringing new crap into the house this year. Still no clothing purchases for myself, but might splurge next month on socks and underwear-woah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really cut back on things for the house also, but I just love stores and I need more discipline. Stay warm

      Delete