Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Tuesday,Pumping out the work


 Here is one of my favorite planters.  I have it in the front where it gets both sun and shade.  I still need to plant a few more pots, but must find them first. I am too cheap to buy at full price.

I had a young woman call this morning that had agreed to hem a three layer bridesmaid dress for a friend. Although she sews she was over whelmed with fear and I don't blame her.  Chiffon fabric is a bear and even experienced people don't like it.  I had her come over and coached her through cutting and serging and how to hem and press. It was obvious she knows how to sew. But she left so happy and ready to take on the project. I am always happy to pass on skills and help people learn this trade.  Their needs to be more of us.





We hung an owl above our garden to keep out the small rodents and we are working on a scarecrow to put out to scare the deer.

I have at least 10 pairs of missionary pants to get lengthened or taken in or out.  These boys grow and their weight changes. I want to get these done today.  But I am going up to D#2's this afternoon while she has a doctor visit to watch the baby and then we are going to that food bank they have once a month later in the day.  I just want to see what they will be throwing away and will take what I can to use and distribute here through other resources. But I don't want to take from those who could use it, that would be wrong.

I will probably have to sew this evening.  The weather dropped 30 degrees from yesterday.  It was 92 yesterday afternoon and it is 62 today.  But that is okay getting that hot this early does not bode well for our fire season.  We need rain badly here.

Do you have huge temperature drops where you live?  How is you rain gauge?  Are you looking at drought as we are?

I pulled out a container of frozen spag sauce for dinner and also a small roast as I will do a stew tomorrow.  Still trying to stay on top of the freezers and shop my pantry.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.


Kim




15 comments:

  1. Since I read Alabama gets 60 inches per year, we never suffer too much. Sure, some people have tomatoes that burn up because they refuse to water. And, we have reported drought which means there is not an abundance of rain as usual. I knew a summer when the drought was so bad that a guy could not do dirt work because his machine just pushed around dust. But, that was exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it would have to be really bad to have a drought in Alabama.

      Delete
  2. We are experiencing a prolonged spring temp wise. The heat and humidity are just around the corner. Rain has been lacking this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are happy the humidity is not there yet.

      Delete
  3. Love your planter!
    That was so nice of you to help the woman with the chiffon dress. I can't imagine trying to sew such a thing.
    We have huge swings in temps here. It has been cool for the past week, but we'll be in the 80's this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather amazing to have these swings so late in the season. I will help anyone who wants to learn to sew. More people need to know how!

      Delete
  4. We've had a beautiful spring here. The temperatures have been lower than normal with just the right amount of rain to keep things watered but not soaked. Today we are supposed to hit a high in the 80's for the first time since last October. Heat and humidity will be here soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky, we really need rain but I think we have had beautiful weather.

      Delete
  5. We have been getting plenty of rain and the temperatures have varied so much this spring. Last week we had frost several days and this week it is supposed to get in the 80's.
    Love the planter. I had one of those for several years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least having these colder overcast days keeps me from wanting to be outside. So I will be grateful. But we need rain.

      Delete
  6. We definitely don't have enough water, and I'm terrified already of fire season. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so kind of you to take the time to coach the other sewer in how to work with the chiffon material. We do have large changes in temperature sometimes during the year but I don't think we've had a dramatic change up/down in a single day's temperature this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always help anyone who wants to learn more skills at sewing. It is such a needed skill.

      Delete
  8. High 80s this week, definitely not the norm which should be low to mid 70s. I doubt if my peas will make unless the temp drops back to normal. April was the driest in 127 yrs. We are down 3.55 inches as of yesterday. There is no rain in the forecast for the rest of the week so I will be watering the gardens. Flower pots get watered every 3rd day. Amish are really worried.
    Mother and Pop used to take what ever the pantry was going to throw away and take it to an apartment complex that was a lot of elderly and give it to them

    ReplyDelete