Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Wednesday, Nose to the grind stone day


 This is what humidity does to my hair.  Well humidity and wind. It is my Babba Yagga  look.  Slugs and Sissie could not take me anywhere. This might have been after I pried a penny out of the tar in the Mc Donald's drive through. But I was trying to win the change finding contest and I am a winner!!!!!! Slugs and Sissie are in the front seats discussing whether or not I should be allowed on the next trip.



On our way to the beach house we stopped at a nice little restaurant.  Slugs had the two for one margarita special and Sissie had some wine, so I drove the rest of the way.  Slugs is a light weight and does not imbibe much, so she could not feel her legs in this picture.  Boy did we have a lot of laughs. Absolutely love this woman she is like a second twin.  Oh my he!! there are now three of us.  Run, run far and fast.

Yesterday I altered 11 pair of missionary pants for three different boys.  That is all I got done as I spent the afternoon with daughter and kids.  So I had to come home and sew some in the evening in order to get the pants done.  But now all my pro bono work is done for a while. Now I need to work for money.

Daughter and I went to the food bank late in the day. I too was shocked by the amount of food that was available and what would be trashed. I talked to the women about maybe having less brought in, but they then said that certain times of the year there is not enough for the need and if they ask for less it will be harder to get more.  With the government paying extra unemployment people are not using this resource as much. Both daughter and I took a few things that would definitely go bad. They had legumes which are always free in this part of the country.  Yellow, green split peas, garbanzos, and navy beans are grown on the Polouse  and are basically given away. It was an eye opening experience.

Food banks that are given government commodities are are not allowed to take products to other agencies. My Lil sis has a food bank at her work and she was told she could not take left over food that would go bad to another food bank.  Well she does it anyway as she will not see the food go bad. She figures forgiveness is easier to get than permission.

What would you do in a situation where you knew food was getting thrown away? This is a hard one for me.

Well today it is about 60 degrees so I will not be tempted to be outside and I have a boat load of clients due to come in.

Work for today:

1. hem pants and two dresses

2. hem and steam bridesmaid dress

3. alter blouse

4. mend/patch jeans

5. Start wedding dress, hem,put in lace up back and shorten straps

6. alter suits coat and put cuffs in 4 pairs of suit pants.

Okay that is enough.  I do need to get to Jo anns some time today, but I have people coming until after 5.

Well I am off to get some things done I hope.  We are having stew for dinner.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while I am in the negative.

Kim 


14 comments:

  1. I volunteer for the local food bank, delivering food to housebound clients. There is always so much need here. I've not heard that we can't shift food to other food banks, but we run out so waste isn't a problem. Celie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is shameful (& hard) to see food thrown away with so many hungry. Too bad they can't cook stuff up with that stuff (soups, etc.) that can be frozen & used at a later date! I, too, volunteer at a food pantry & see how much need there is. I understand if they cut back on ordering, then it's hard to ramp things back up. What about delivering to those in need who don't have transportation to the food pantry? During COVID, our food pantry (Salvation Army) was working in conjunction with a driver-delivery service (can't remember name - Door Dash?) - but another organization paid those driver fees for the food to be delivered - many to low-income apartment buildings (Section 8).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take the food and give it away to someone, or to a shelter or youth refuge. its a shame to see food get wasted.
    love the photo of you both :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the homeless will not take things they have to cook. There was plenty of canned chicken and fruit cocktail and things they would eat. But a box that contained a bag of carrots, a bag of potatoes and a bag of onions, oranges and apples were ignored and they had at least 100 boxes like this. So sad.

      Delete
  4. Food waste is difficult, but with so many rules and regulations it is hard to avoid. I would love to think I had the solution, but I have no clue how to fix the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't either, but I will take what will be wasted, as much as I cook for others it just does not bother me.

      Delete
  5. It's a dilemma. No one should go hungry when there is food to be thrown, but to get to the mouths that need it is the battle. Too bad the food banks couldn't put out an APB at a certain time so anyone could come and "shop" freeing up money in household budgets that could then be donated-pay it forward circle. I think restaurants battle this as well-they don't let employees take surplus food, because there is often abuse "lots of oops, made an extra 10 burgers...), but then there is waste. It saddens me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would be nice to work something out like that. I have worked at restaurants that gave leftovers to employees. I know my grandmother always fed the men off the railroad that came to her restaurants. She allowed them coffee, all the hash browns they could eat and pancakes in the morning before the places opened. They had to put all the chairs down and do what ever odd jobs were left. In the evening after close they were allowed to come in and have the left over soup, stale pastries,again all the hash browns they could eat and coffee. Then they had to put chairs up and mop and clean the grease traps. She also made a huge fresh pot of coffee at night before she left to reheat in the morning. She was a big believer in everyone having good coffee. If the homeless were under a certain age, they could have glasses of milk. My mother remembers young men coming in so sunburned and with chapped lips and drinking glass after glass of cold milk.Grandma had this thing about young men needing milk. I think she had the first food banks along the dakota rail lines.

      Delete
  6. Looks like all had a great time! Hope it helped to ease some of your load. We have a homeless shelter here that serves meals. They have a sign up sheet at the door that has a list of "pk" duty or kitchen duties like taking out the trash or wiping tables or doing dishes, etc. So when you sign up for the free meal, you also sign up for that duty. The government pulled all of their financial assistance because legally they can not require that someone "do something" for their meal. Crazy. Our weather is crazy since the irisis are blooming. Changes by the hour thanks to so many small pop up storms. Have a great week! jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy some of the regulations. I think most want to do something for help. It makes them feel better about their situation. Work is a blessing, I wish the government would figure that out.

      Delete
  7. I wish my hair looked that good after humidity and wind. Mine goes straight with humidity and whips around in the wind until it is greasy looking. I know one place that had a food bank and people were obliged to sign in, sit down, and list to a devotional of 15 minutes. One devotional lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes. I have rescued food and shared it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is curly, and coarse, and just turns into a frizzy mess.I am glad you rescued food.

      Delete
  8. I help occasionally at our food pantry. If there’s extra, that won’t last, a couple of us are given some so we can give it away to others that may be embarrassed to come in themselves. If there’s some left after that, we can take what we want. Sometimes, they put a call out to the neighborhood to come and help themselves. Fresh won’t last so it needs to be given away.
    I, too, love the picture! My hair’s the same. ugh....
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy, in that small town they don't have that option. Well I feel for you if you have my hair, it is a frizzy mess most of the time. If it was short it would stick up all over.

      Delete