Thursday, January 18, 2024

Thursday, getting ready to go!

 

I have to take a wedding dress with me down to southern Idaho as I need to match the lace so I can add long sleeves for the bride.  As I am flying that means not a carry on but a big honking suitcase.

Kids were here again last night, as the weather is so foul.  Spitting frozen snow.  But they both took a sled out last night and played and played in the dark on the hill leading to the chicken coop.  They had so much fun.

The cans of food in my garage are all frozen or at least partially frozen I wonder if this will affect them.  Signe' opened a can of chicken noodle soup last night when the kids came in from sledding and she had to pry it partially frozen out of the can.  

It is cold.  The animals I am watching seem to be fine, but I did find one dead chicken.  Probably from old age. Well, I hope it was from old age.  It is funny they have coops to go to but will roost all together out in the open with their feathers all fluffed up, so they are twice their size. Strange, but I am not a chicken.

I have pants to hem today and people to call, laundry to do and some housework. I also need to clean up the shop a bit.  I don't want to come home to an unorganized mess.

SO here I go.


Kim

7 comments:

  1. Poor chick. I take it you have no heat in the garage. I would use those frozen items soon. Stay warm and have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s so funny/strange how chickens will stay outside in all kinds of weather! Ours would happily be outside in cold, rainy and windy weather when you couldn’t pay me to stick my nose outside the door! 🤷‍♀️ (I’m told the answer is ‘feathers’.. but still!!🥶) Wishing you a wonderful trip! ❤️ xo, Ricki in NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just cannot escape the wedding dressings, can you? Do you alter wedding dresses in your dreams?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stay warm & hope your canned goods are okay. Like Cheryl said, I'd use them up quickly, and/before they defrost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes on the canned goods. I've not had that problem to know, but I hope they will be OK. I would think they would be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would think the canned foods would still be usable, but the ice crystals that form when things freeze could change the texture a little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From USDA
    Cans of food that freeze accidentally, such as those left in a car or basement in sub-zero temperatures, can be unsafe to eat. However, a frozen can that has not thawed and is not swollen, can be safely defrosted in the refrigerator and used. Discard frozen cans that are not swollen but have thawed at 40 °F or higher.

    ReplyDelete