Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, New beginning


 Well we have a new President.  Things will change.  The party is different.  I don't know what the future holds. There will certainly be changes I don't like.  But I have to say I am a little relieved.  Just the political unrest on top of Covid and the economy is more than I want to deal with right now.  Of course I am not going to want to deal with all the taxes solving the social problems will bring either.  Sometimes living in a democracy is a handicap, but I would not want to live any other way. I am blessed in so many ways.  I can do this.  We can do this.

Took out some cod that I froze New Years Day and cooked it up with a tossed salad and some home made coleslaw.  Tomorrow i am going to make a  sweet and sour pork dish, as I had a package of pork that I bought with a 50% off sticker,  After this post I will go make the marinade I will soak it in all night, then crockpot it tomorrow.

Lil sis just called me and she bought me a magnolia tree!  It is for my house.  She has one that she has had for years.  I hope I don't kill it.  It was mom's favorite plant. She did take it out in the summer.  SO I will have a lime tree and a magnolia tree. Soon I will have a forest in this small house.

I did no sewing today, although I had clients pick up and drop off.  I will sew tomorrow. Daughter brought kids down for a few hours while she taught, so Hubs and I got our baby fix. We sure enjoyed that.

Thrifty Thursday 

1. saved all my coins

2. saved all my $5 bills up to $185 this week

3. managed to save my $1,$5,$10,$20, bill challenge for the week

4. save money in two more of my 100 envelope challenge

5. paid $450.00 to my $780.00 bill challenge for the month

6. ate all meals at home cooked from scratch

7. kept grocery budget at its limit (hubs will not get to go next time)

8. bought zippers with coupons at Joanns. Keep the savings myself

9. found a really nice remnant at Joanns, 75% off for 9 new napkins.  Mine are getting really old and nasty.

10. Stayed home most of the week so no gas fill up which always helps

11. craved chocolate cake, went to buy one saw the price and came home and made one

12.made my own cleaning solution with water and pinesol for the floors.  It streaks less but is not perfect.

13. listed 9 items on facebook market place have not sold one:(

14. Lil sis had a freezer full of croissants, she gave me a bag. Yum

Kind of a boring week really no good grocery sales and we have enough fresh veg for another week I think.  I have coleslaw left and makings for a broccoli salad (large) and an apple salad. Daughter will pick up Romaine for us when she goes to Costco.  It is much cheaper there.  The only things I saw as loss leaders, were Brats 2 packages for $5 on Friday and also small shrimp in 2 pound bags for $5.00.  So I will get those and a quart of milk. Saving on the old grocery budget. I am trying to keep as much in the checking account so by the end of the month I can pay off that one debt and have $1000.00 to put toward the house loan.

Did you do anything this last week to save money?  If so what?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim


19 comments:

  1. That's a good price on brats. We get two meals out of a 1 pound package-I really like the leftovers sliced in a red beans and rice, jambalaya, or dirty rice dish. I posted my Thrifty Thursday-not huge wins, but things add up. I am very pleased with the direction for this administration, and feel if there is a fair and equitable tax policy, fair and honest regulatory policies the average joe will not be hurt. Fair and equitable where the filthy rich can't keep making money off paying sub par wages (and then bitch about people needing a little public assistance) and trashing the environment, and hiring expensive lawyers to dodge their tax responsibilities. Sorry-your post, I shouldn't rant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you honey. I remember when Hubs first started with the State of Idaho, he got a food stamp packet with his wage packet. The state paid so poorly you could get food stamps. We always qualified for free hot lunch, I just would not let the girls take it because of the stigma. Even states don't pay a living wage and Idaho is a rich state.

      Delete
  2. I am so thankful our country has an adult in charge now. I think the whole world breathed a sigh of relief yesterday. I feel more hopeful about the future for our children. And I'm actually ok with higher taxes if the wealthy pay their part too.
    Sounds like you had a frugal week. A magnolia tree sounds lovely. I bet the lime tree smells so good. I've never tried growing a tree in the house.
    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very grateful. It is very easy for the very wealthy to pay no taxes here. It is the middle class that gets the burden.

      Delete
  3. I am also glad and maybe our lives will get back to somewhat normal. I am sad for my local trades such as building, cement, roofing, etc. Our family has always been builders, small business employing family. The past 10 years we have seen the migrants take these jobs over at half price. The government pays part of their wages so it is impossible for us to compete financially. Not sure how much longer we can hold on, between the regulations, taxes and insurance, we are barely able to pay our employees. Most of our American builders are replacing their American workers with the immigrants or they go out of business. I am not here to complain. I want unity as much as the other person. But losing three American generations of roofers, framers and cement workers is breaking my heart. They are my family, my friends and my neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blame for that, then, is not on the immigrants, but on the American business owners who want to save on labor costs.

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry this is happening to your family, and yes I do understand it is impossible for your family to compete financially in their business. G Dazeez. Virtual hugs.

      Delete
    3. My sister owns a roofing company and she is in the same boat. It has gotten almost impossible for small business trades to make it.

      Delete
    4. I am sorry. I think the pandemic has made things much harder for small businesses too. Spring is always a good time for construction and home improvements, so I pray things will be better.

      Delete
  4. It behooves me to stay home to save money. One last resort to saving money is to not spend any. So I stay home to save money and enjoy life.
    Blessings to you,
    d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there Deanna. IF you don't go any where you do save money.

      Delete
  5. Biden's tax plan is aimed at those making over $400k/year. Pretty sure you'll be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is your 100 envelope challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I marked 100 small envelopes 1-100 each week I choose 2 and fill them buy the end of the year it is close to $5 grand. This is a tough one as it is easy to fill the first 25 envelopes. But doing two a week you really need to fill one of the upper ones. Forces you to really save. So far I have been able to do it, but I am squeaking by.

      Delete
  7. I did not know Magnolia trees could be grown inside. They are huge, outdoor trees here in South Alabama, and their leaves are often used for decoration at parties, and weddings. Great price on shrimp!! That is like as cheap as it is here and I am fairly close to the coast! How far are y’all from the Pacific? I would think it would take hours to get there but I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes these are small and can be taken in or out. We are about 7 hours from the coast. We often get shrimp for that price here but it is not fresh.

      Delete
  8. I have never heard of a magnolia growing inside either. Here they are huge, beautiful, somewhat nuisance trees that will buckle your foundation if planted to close to the house

    ReplyDelete