Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Wednesday, Christmas is down!


      So believe it or not, I have actually downsized Christmas by about three bins so I am pretty proud of myself.  I just packed everything much more carefully and then I am taking some things to good will.  The front room is not put back together or cleaned, as I didn't finish until after dark  and I wanted more light through the window to see dust and dog hair.

     I worked very hard getting everything down and put away. Now I have to get these things into the garage and have  my son in law or the missionaries put them up on the high shelves.  I still have a pile of Valentines linens to iron as I took them out of storage and they are very wrinkled,but I ran out of energy.

     I deep cleaned both bathrooms and the master bedroom and guestroom. I also cleaned and dusted the dining room.  As I was cutting back my plants I pulled all of them off the shelves to clean the shelves and realized that one of my larger plants had an ant colony in it!  I don't know how that happened , but it was positively swarming with ants.  I quickly took it outside and there it will stay.  They will freeze out as they were the smaller sugar ants.  I have never had that happen before.  I am still creeped out by it.



    I put up the valentine things as the bin was on the same shelf with some of the Christmas.  Taking down Christmas is sad ,so this made it a little more cheery.

I put out my mom's 5 angels for Valentines day. She bought one of these for each of us kids.  You see the twins, my younger sister and the two younger boys.  They are made by Llardo?  I cherish these. I am honestly looking at several of the things I have of mom's and getting ready to sell them or give them away.  Just too much stuff.  One of my goals is to sell stuff on Facebook marketplace. I have a huge pile of things on the washer and dryer in the laundry room.  I hope to get them listed tomorrow.


We have tons of candy canes left from the tree, I used to take these down to the studio every year, but I guess I will figure out some other way besides eating them. Look at the rain on the window.  It has rained all day here.

Today (Wednesday) I have to get some sewing done.  I took quite a bit of sewing in on Tuesday, plus what was already there. I sewed so hard on Monday, I decided to take Tuesday off to get Christmas down.

I have a list for today to complete:

1. get garage organized so Christmas can go out there

2. clean up the garage cat box area

3. list things on Facebook market place

4. get sewing quota done

5. deep clean front room

6. vacuum all floors

7. mop all floors

8. finish cleaning kitchen

Dinner was good.  I really like corned beef and the cabbage was so good.  We have enough for lunch and dinner today. The sale adds come out today, so I still need to check to see if there is anything worth buying. I will go  out later to get a few groceries.  I am not sure if son in law is home form Olympia yet and we may end up with the kids while daughter teaches.

It will be so nice to get everything put away and the house really cleaned. The house seems so big now that all the decorations are down.  Does your house seem larger when you take done Christmas?

Do any of you put out Valentines things?  I just love the cheer as it is very dark and dreary here in the winter. 

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative?


Kim


21 comments:

  1. I put out a few fall things and then Christmas but that is it. I am just not doing every holiday. I like the house looking cleaner after the Christmas comes down, even though I do enjoy those decorations.
    Pretty decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I collected so much from mom, but I will not buy anything, well maybe from a thrift store.

      Delete
  2. Don't be sad and dreary....it's almost MY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and if it wasn't for this dang covid I could be out there celebrating.

      Delete
  3. I don't have any Valentines day decor-just not something I ever thought of as a "season" but I suppose this year, anything to add brightness might be nice. Last year my nephew got married on Valentines, so they have a 1st anniversary. Good for you downsizing by three bins-that is a feat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well smaller house, more careful packing, getting rid of some things. Giving some things away to family.

      Delete
  4. We don’t really celebrate the small Hallmark holidays. I told my husband i would rather get flowers on a Tues. than a card or gift with everyone else.
    Our Christmas consists of one large tub and the small tree that fits in a contractor garbage bag. It takes about an hour to pack it all away. Although, the lights are still up on the porch and still lit at night. Very uplifting!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if I had not inherited an every room decoration from my mother mine might be much smaller too.

      Delete
  5. I have a valentine "tree" (branch mounted to a base and sprayed white) that I put out in February. It lives on the foyer table until spring and has changeable tiny ornaments for Valentines, St. Pats and Easter. I also have a few tchotchkes I put out seasonally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever see the Will and Grace episode where one of the Lladró figurines belonging to Will's mom was broken?

      Delete
    2. I am sure I did, but can't remember. I loved will and grace, have to say among my favorite.

      Delete
  6. The house does not look smaller, just darker.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure is more fun putting Christmas out than packing it away, isn't it??? Like you, I added a few Valentine touches around. Just enough to keep it cheery, but not too much to make it cluttered. Have a cozy day, my friend. Not too much going on around here. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a drag to take them down and seems to take so long. Putting them up is so fun.

      Delete
  8. I had an ant colony is a houseplant one year. After the initial freakout I soaked the pot for 15 minutes in a solution of a gallon of water/a tablespoon of Dawn dish detergent, pouring some of the solution on top of the soil so it could completely run through. I also cleaned off the shelf, and tossed a couple of lemon peels in the area so they wouldn't be tempted to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are ready took down Christmas before the New year since the weather was decent and Hubby had lights out. House is darker. Doesn't seem any bigger. My late husband used to do every single holiday whether he celebrated it or not. I grew up with only Christmas being done and that only the tree and a cardboard santa (which I still have). Hubby doesn't "do" birthdays (mine this month) or anniversaries (next month) even though I do for his.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely Valentines décor. You have a lovely home.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you almost everything thrifted or given to me by my mother. It is like I never grew up. I live in the same house I grew up in. Not really but really?

      Delete