Friday, February 4, 2022

Friday, Funeral, food bank


 We will attend our friend's memorial service this afternoon.  It is just an open house as they will have a family service on the ranch, he grew up on later this spring.

Now trying to get Hub's into church clothes will be the real issue.  He always has to look like he is just stepping out into the woods.

My friend down the street just called me and said she had worked at the county food bank this morning and they insisted she take home boxes of food, as it had not been picked up and would be destroyed. So, I ran down there with curlers in my hair, and ask Slug I am a beauty with curlers in my hair, Hubs was like?  You are going down there in curlers?  Why yes.  My public needs me.

Anyway, here is the haul: Judge away, better than a land fill:  A cabbage, head of cauliflower, carrots, huge bag of apples, tangerines, oranges, iceberg lettuce, tomatoes (need to be sauced as they were frozen at some point), a huge frozen pork roast, butter, cheese, a box of clif bars (12). Clif bars will go to kids and missionaries. Also 6 ears of fresh corn on the cob? I was going to buy cabbage.  Which by the way when I was in Albertson's yesterday getting a prescription filled, I checked the price of cabbage and they wanted $1.99 a lb.  Which would make a large head of cabbage over $10.00.  Now that is scary.

I was able to get the whole house cleaned yesterday, it was so nice. I am freezing two containers of chili we are sick of it.  I have to learn to cook for two.  An age-old problem for many a mother.

Boy, I hate to go to this memorial, it is so hard to lose a friend at this age.  But I need to support his wife and kids.  This man was so funny, talented and full of life. Rest in peace Todd, may you be laughing with loved ones on the other side, and I can't wait to meet again.

Then home to do a little sewing, I hope. We have Schmills and Kelsa Saturday night into Sunday and then the missionaries for dinner.

I plan on making my Valentine shortbread (4 pans at least) and sour cream cut out cookies for Schmills and I to frost. Then I can take these down to Twin Falls with me when we go to see daughter's next week.

DO any of you have any big plans for the weekend? Are any of you doing any baking for Valentine's Day? If so, what?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are int the negative.


Kim

20 comments:

  1. Great haul from the food bank!
    I have zero plans for the weekend and am not baking unless I make a keto cheesecake (Which really means a crustless thing that is baked in a pie pan that is almost like cheesecake. The whole keto baking philosophy is that every keto dessert is "almost" like what it is supposed to be an imitation of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived on a low carb diet all my dancing years. I have to say I hate it. BUt it did keep the weight off. Still hate it.

      Delete
  2. What a great haul. Glad your neighbor shared - our country wastes so much food.
    My big plans - rest! Shoveling has gotten the best of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it has my friend. Shoveling is very hard work. Get out the old heating pad and rest away.

      Delete
  3. Very nice haul. That reminded me of my kid bringing home all the bags if veg this summer and finding homes for them. A cabbage in each bag. I hope your friends family feels the comfort from you all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely service, very tender and hard but lovely.
      You know cabbage was peasant and pig food and now is outrageous. It really does concern me.

      Delete
  4. I have no plans to bake anything for Valentine's Day. But, I might. Every cabbage I have gotten is thick and tough! That was a good haul. I went to a food pickup today and got little. But, last week we got six packages of meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe how expensive cabbage has become!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really throws me. I mean cabbage the lot of every peasant....?

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to avoid food waste & get so many delicious things. My weekend involves teen sports, laundry, & hopefully some organization.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the days when I was busy with kids and performances. Enjoy as hectic as it is because these years will be over before you know it!

      Delete
  7. No big plans this weekend other than laundry, a little housework and grocery shopping tomorrow. Don't be jealous of my fabulous fun lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am because it sound much calmer than mine.

      Delete
  8. definitely growing more cabbage this year including some to harvest in Dec through Feb.
    Not doing a blasted thing this weekend beyond pulling what needs started in grow cart on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you. You need to rest a little with what your poor body has been through lately.

      Delete
  9. The cabbage comment stopped me in my tracks. DANG!!!!

    We are just emerging from some of the winter storm that rolled from Texas to New England. Sitting inside appreciating the sun on the snow.

    Hope/plan to bake sourdough cutout heart cookies with red sprinkles for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,fun I was hoping someone else was doing some Valentine's baking. My mom always did, and I loved it as a child. I know cabbage the diet of every peasant society. Potatoes are up to 4 dollars a 10 lb bag here. We usually don't even have to pay for potatoes, we go pick them from the field corners and get 100 lbs in the fall. They are never over $1 a bag. Scary.

      Delete
  10. I have been away down to my Mum's again Kim & am just catching up on your posts. So very sorry to read of your friends passing & I hope the memorial service was a good remembrance of his life. Take Care Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Everyone,

    Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

    Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via Whatsapp +12156195367 profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    Services rendered include:

    * Refinancing Loans
    * Car Loan
    * Truck Loans
    * COVID-19 Financing Loan
    * Home Loan
    * Mortgage Loan
    * Debt Consolidation Loan
    * Farm Loan
    * Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
    * Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
    * Students Loan and so many others.

    For more info; Contact us via WhatsApp Number +12156195367 Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

    ReplyDelete