Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Tuesday, So busy!


 This is my life right now.  I actually have a black wedding dress to tailor and finish for this afternoon's pickup.  It will be the first thing I do today.

Yesterday was very busy, and I had two more dresses come in.  Did I tell you this is supposed to be the busiest wedding season on record?  I know I am getting dresses in faster than last year.  And last year was my busiest year ever.  I had to get out of dodge in August just to save my sanity.

Right now, the shop is a disgusting mess and after the black dress is done it is getting a thorough cleaning and organizing. 

Lil sis just came and picked up her daughter's dress, to take to St. Louis this weekend. She will mark and bring back the bridesmaid dresses for me to alter.  She also tried on her dress, and I marked the hem and I am going to take it in on the sides.  None of us girls were born with waists.  We are tree trunks.  I always said I was a square. We are small but no waist to speak of.  Straight up and down. SO, I am going to define her a waist.

Having a seamstress in the saves this family a ton of money.  We will also do all the flowers and decorating when we get to the venue. We were discussing ribbon and pins and other paraphernalia we would need to pick up once in St. Louis.  At least we are not trying to take glassware to the Bahamas.

I pulled out a large package of chicken breasts to make enchiladas out of for dinner.  I will probably make two pans and freeze one and then whatever chicken is left over figure out something else to do with it. Hubs will be working at the high school off and on for the rest of the week.

I am so happy Lil sis let me off on the wedding shower, or I would be getting ready to fly to St. Louis.  Just the thought of getting on a plane with this sinus crap and my ears all wonky makes me cringe.  Plus, the recirculated germy air. 

The missionaries came yesterday and used the kitchen to make cinnamon rolls, they are so funny.  I just stayed out and stayed in the shop. They tried to clean up, but.... they are men. I finally kicked them out about 4:30, it was like having 5 monkeys in the house.

Well, I had better get to work.  That dress is not going to do itself!


Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.


Kim

19 comments:

  1. Busy, busy, busy girl. A black wedding dress sounds intriguing. Wish you could show a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a simple formal, people used to get married in black all the time. It was Queen Victoria getting married in white that changed weddings to white.

      Delete
  2. Hi Kim. Good call on skipping the shower. Sinus stuff is awful. I am dealing with headaches lately. I would absolutely love to be able to do what you do! I cannot thread a button. Swear! If you ever feel like relocating...Madison is always in need of a good seamstress for her Bridal Shop. Just sayin. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo,
      Why would you need to thread a button, anyway?

      Delete
    2. Yes, we are very sought after. Someone who knows how to sew and tailor fine garments is almost nonexistent in this country anymore. It is a little scary sometimes trying to find ways to fit a dress. But I love the challenge.

      Delete
  3. I just have to know--Why were five men making cinnamon rolls? For the facilities? How many were they making? Who for? Were they just fixing a sweet tooth? Is yours the only kitchen they know of? Or, are you the only person that will allow them in her kitchen? I just need to know so I can quit laughing.

    If I have horrible head congestion, I keep a Hall's Mentholyptus in my mouth along with taking other measures. I have been told that drinking something hot and then something cold, back and forth, helps. Also, humming helps. This I can vouch for. Using a gently vibrator helps. Friend swears by this. I get desperate with bad sinus infection and will try any strange thing. Actually, the vibrator and humming were doctor suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it is because I am the only one crazy enough to allow them her kitchen. They have Mondays as preparation days, and they get to do laundry, play basketball and do fun things. They had a hankering for sweet rolls, after playing basketball and wanted to make them. I made up the bread sponge, which was, 3 cups warm water, 3 tablespoons yeast, one cup warm milk, 1.5 cups of sugar, 4 eggs, 11-13 cups of flour. This missionary is Hawaiian, so this is a very sweet bread dough. I called him about adding salt? Salt adds savor and keeps the dough from over raising. HE said he never added salt, but I added a tablespoon anyway. SO the dough was ready when they showed up. I think this made about 4 dozen large rolls, I am not sure. THey ate many and then took paper plates full of rolls to other people. Other than listening to the noise I was not very involved, unless they needed something. We are like the ma, pa of this part of the mission. BUt in return these boys do so much for us. It is s great trade and they keep you young.

      Delete
  4. The forecast in St. Louis the next 2 days is for ice or snow. I think this is the third time in three weeks we've been hit with this mess. You lucked out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I will have to tell Lil sis to pack warm. SO glad I do not have to endure.

      Delete
  5. You are a busy lady. While I have heard of black bridesmaid gowns I have never seen a black bridal gown. Very different.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is but to each their own, I guess. People used to get married all the time in the mid 1800's in black. They were also buried in that dress.

      Delete
  6. I don't even know where to begin counting the amount of savings my SIL has done for members of out family. She made my prom dress and my sisters wedding dress. this isn't her job or wasn't her job, she just did to help us all out. Your skills are a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love helping my family. I realize it is a huge gift and one I am willing to share. So nice that you have one who also does this.

      Delete
  7. You are very talented! What a difference in the two dresses.
    Just curious if you ever have a customer want an alteration, and you think to yourself, "what were they thinking?" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea. Many times. Sometimes I tell them I can't help them, or it can't be done. If I feel at all uncomfortable, I refuse the work. I have pretty good radar now for the unreasonable.

      Delete
  8. Be glad you're not flying into St. Louis. We're under a winter weather warning for sleet and ice over the next two days. I hope your sister makes it before that happens.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy I do too. I am worried now. Hey when I come in for the wedding at the end of April maybe we can do lunch or something? I love meeting people I blog with. Sluggy and I now travel together because of this blog.

      Delete
    2. That would be awesome. I'm only about 45 minutes from St. Louis so totally do able.

      Delete