Monday, November 14, 2022

Monday, Another week of money savings


 I always start out my week, by counting up any money I saved the week previous.  For instance, this is when I would add my savings challenges.  

Right now, I am trying to get enough cash to pay off my plane ticket for my last trip.  I will have to pay it off on the 4th of next month to keep from having any interest charges.  

Right now, I have $170.00 in a 5's challenge, and I will continue to add to this.  I also have $700.00 saved from work and savings since I returned from my trip. My ticket was $1040.00 so I am getting close to what I need, and I am grateful.

I will get to turn in my change savings a little early this year as we are going to be leaving for DC before the 7th of December.  That is the day I usually cash in my change for the year. I will also have my penny a day savings which will be over $600.00.  Between those two challenges I should have close to $1000.00 which will be Hubs and my spending allowance for our cruise and time at Sissies

I still will need to pay for our plane tickets there.  But I think that is doable. At least it keeps me working!

I was able to get B's apartment really put together.  We deep cleaned the bathroom and went through all the old makeup, medicine, and things you buy and then don't use.  We had a very heavy trash bag of things to get rid of.  It is surprising what one holds onto.  We chalk painted the corner TV unit and her old oak TV stand.  We used the old long TV cupboard as a new coffee table and were able to get rid of an older smaller coffee table.  We also tipped the sofa at an angle which allowed us to bring in their large comfy recliner. Just facing everything to the corner, made the play area for Oliver so much bigger. Less furniture, less clutter in every room.  It is getting better there.  It is hard to be in an apartment for over 5 years.  You just collect things.  Both of them work fulltime and then a busy 2 year old. 

Hubs and I moved so much when we were young marrieds, we were never able to acquire much.  It all had to fit on the back of the truck and in a small trailer.  

I made a large pot roast yesterday, with one of the free roasts, we received. I made a couple of baked potatoes and added carrots to the roast.  I also made a double batch of homemade sesame buns.  I want to have brats sometime this week, so I was thinking ahead about buns to use with them. On Mondays I try to think ahead about what we will have for dinner, but I so often don't stick to my plans.  Either I change my mind, or we still have leftovers, so things do not get cooked. Still just thinking about what the week holds for meals will save you money.

You can cook what you have and plan what you may need. Now that I am doing a grocery challenge and trying to empty the freezer, I really need to pay attention.  

Hubs is booked almost solid at the school this week and still have plenty to do in the shop.

How do you plan your week financially? Do you keep track or look ahead?  Do you see where you stand weekly?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.


Kim

 

21 comments:

  1. My round trip plane ticket to out West, over the holidays, from Atlanta, to see family was $1200!!!!! I about died! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever things feel too cluttered, I commit to one shelf/cupboard/drawer per day. That way, I never get overwhelmed (it's too much!) or that I'm not getting anything done.

    Plane fares are stoopid expensive, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done really well this. You have taken many trips this year and you save and pay each ahead. You are truly blessed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NExt year it will be the house and much less traveling. Although I know Hubs will take a trip with our daughter and We will do one big trip.

      Delete
  4. I do look ahead for spending and not spending, too. I check the food in the refrigerator. I used my last three eggs for breakfast, so got more. I know that eggs will be cheaper somewhere this week or next, but I might need an egg. In a few minutes, I will bake our Thanksgiving turkey breast with about 4 baby carrots, and about 5 new potatoes. Needless to say, today we need more vegetables to go with a bit of the turkey breast, most of which will be frozen for T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help the bottom line when you see where you are regularly.

      Delete
  5. I usually make a menu list of main meals for the week, then swap things around as needed…the only real commitment is when I take something out to defrost ;). But I have to have some sort of plan or I feel like I don’t have anything to cook for dinner. Congrats on chiseling away at your vacation costs, well done! Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good question. I guess I think both from the week before and think ahead. Reading the prices of plane tickets, and I'm choking. I'm so sad to not have my youngest home, but to not have son too will be sad. I missed two kids in 2013 and 2014, and was sucker than sick in 2013. I don't think that was just a coincidence. I'm trying to get into the holiday spirit regardless of where my kids are, but I'm sad and willing to spend a fortune for my son to come home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so long since all of us were together for a Holiday. One is always missing. We did get together when Hub's Dad died. But that is not a good reason to get all of them under one roof.

      Delete
  7. Flights are absolutely insane this year. So crazy. A 90 minute domestic flight was slightly more than 1/2 the price of a 14 hour international flight. :-( We typically look back at our expenses, but also try to keep track of our larger pending costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like we have gone back in time 50 years when air travel was only for the uber rich.

      Delete
  8. The budget items I can control I look ahead at. Also, I save for two years for our family reunion. That is where my change goes every two weeks. My paper money (though here in Canada it is now plastic) I put in an envelope every two weeks and use that to purchase craft items to keep me busy.

    I do plan my menus, but once in a while things don't go as I had planned. Like you there could be more leftover that needs using.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim! I am also on a mission to eat from our freezer and pantry. I always try to do that before Thanksgiving and Christmas because I know we will have so much extra food around! I think the work you did sounds great! I do not like too much clutter around me. It makes me anxious. ( More than I already am!) Everyone always teases me if they can't find something because they say Mom was in one of her moods and probably threw it out! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes feel like throwing it all out and starting over.

      Delete
  10. Good for getting so much done at B's. I have way too much stuff and even getting rid of a lot last week, I still have entirely too much.
    Just by the nature of what TheHub does for a living, I know where we stand financially pretty much all the time. We do plan in advance, and though I don't have a specific weekly food budget, I have a yearly one and cherry pick for the freezer all year. I honestly could have dinners for 4 or 5 months (exclusive of salad or coleslaw) just from food storage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure your daughter really appreciated your help. It's so nice to relax at home with no clutter. I don't really have a food budget but manage to stay reasonable. I just stock up on what we use when I see a sale. I could go 6-8 months on what we have now with only buying fresh veg, fruit and dairy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Hubs just asked me if there was any mustard and I just went and checked the storage and no mustard and only one ketchup. So I know what I will be buying later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad I don't live closer or I could give you ketchup and mustard

      Delete