Monday, November 7, 2022

Monday, Busy weekend


 THIS WAS MY WEEKEND!  It was long and it made my feet hurt.  I also had Kelsa Friday night and all-day Saturday, so I could not get any jam made. Jam is something that you need to pay attention to and so is a two-year-old.

 Before Hubs went to the High School, I ran to Ace hardware to get a new apple corer as the handle broke off my old one which was actually my grandmother's, so I think we got the goody out of it. I also purchased a new water bath canner.  I had my grandmothers for years, but it was getting really rusty, and we threw it away when we moved.  I had a 50% off coupon so only had to spend 22.00 for a new one.

I spent the day coring and slicing 5 bags of apples and 1 bag of pears.  It took Friday and Saturday night to get this big bag of Apples and a few pears done.

When you dry fruit you really concentrate the sweetness, and it is so good. This will be snacks for many small and large hands over the winter.

Finally, after Nate picked Kelsa up, I got to the jam making.  I did up 4 batches of raspberry, and strawberry jam.  It is so good. I am completely out of small lids and will look for more after canning season is over and stock up.


You can just imagine what my kitchen floor looks like.  

I started out Friday afternoon, by cleaning the fridge, and using 2 small heads of cabbage from the garden to make a large coleslaw.  I also took the advice of many and seeded and cut up a bag of peppers for the freezer. I also made homemade marinara sauce and a batch of eggplant parm which is delicious.

We will finish it today.

I went through the freezers, and I pulled out a bag of apple slices and the last pie crust and made Hubs a Dutch apple pie.  I also took out a bag of pumpkin, I will be making piecrusts this week, just not today.

So, one of the things I wanted to get done was free up some space in the freezers.  I did a pretty good job.  Missionaries called on Sunday afternoon looking for a place to eat and I was going to have left over eggplant parm, but there was not enough for everyone, so I pulled out two bags of porkchops, 1/2 bag of frozen corn, and two bags of applesauce. I baked some potatoes and made homemade biscuits with fresh jam.  Halloween candy for dessert.
So, this weekend I was able to get major things out of the freezer:
 
1. a pie crust
2. a bag of pumpkin
3. a large bag of sliced apples
4. large bag of strawberries
5. two large bags of raspberries
6.two packages of porkchops
7. two bags of apples sauce
8. 1/2 bag of corn

I also found a whole chicken that I am going to take out and thaw as it needs to be used.  I don't like to find freezer burned food, so I am careful to dig to the bottom and really look at what I have. I was pretty pleased with what I got done, but it really wasn't what I had planned.  Oh well the things I wanted to do are still in need of doing, they will not go away.

Hub's and I took our car in this morning to have the body work done, as they finally got in the parts.  This leaves us with one vehicle and Hubs has a busy week at the High School.  So, I have no excuse to not get projects done as I have no car that I can escape in.  Kim is good at escape.

Today I am going to get the shop cleaned and organized if it kills me.  It just might.  I can ignore the rest of the house for a while, but I have to sew in the shop, and it is just beyond me right now.

Do you ever just plan something and then God laughs and throw another something at you?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim who is going to clean her shop....


21 comments:

  1. I just sat down and looked to see if you had posted anything! I was in luck! You have the energy of two normal people ;). I have a vision of you in your shop with hair pins flying out of your hair as you rush around, sort of like a bug bunny cartoon…Congratulations on getting items out of your freezer. Right before I sat down, I emptied my freezer, got everything organized and pulled out a ham, a chicken carcass and a pound of bacon, so there is a tiny bit of room now available. I have one turkey in there from last year that I will cook this thanksgiving, but I hoped I could get room created for two more turkeys. Not likely. Looks like we are in for some fairly good turkey prices, yeah! Are you hosting a turkey event? Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No we are going to Hubs moms for the holiday. I hate how I have a deep freeze and I practically have to dive in head first to find things that are at the bottom. I am convinced that I will be found dead in the someday having fallen in.

      Delete
  2. That's humongous effort. I still haven't made pepper jam and folks are asking. I need a day with 2-3 hours for Oreo, cook and process, cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food sounds delicious! My house is an absolute disaster. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well let me join you as I think mine is getting there.

      Delete
  4. Both of our freezers are packed to the brim, so I did myself a solid & turned my chicken bones into broth, instead of just tossing them into the freezer. I did have to put the broth in the freezer (I'm using some of it today), but at least it's a much more usable item than just the bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are down a little , but my goal is to not add.

      Delete
  5. The jams and jellies look wonderful as do the apples. You really were busy - but it sure was productive.
    It seems I start something, and then see something else, then something else ................. - God's plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way. I have to stay focused and that is hard for me.

      Delete
  6. I seriously need to come and stay with you and learn how to do all the things!!! You are a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billie, actually being a work aholic helps.

      Delete
  7. Are you the energizer bunny? My goodness do you ever get a great deal accomplished on a weekend. Love how you are making room in the freezer and using everything to advantage.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did not get to the really disastrous guest room and I have two boxes of decluttering to unload and who knows when that will be done.

      Delete
  8. These boys and some girls are usually 18 to 21 years of age and come in pairs, or with a companion as they are called. They have a very strict budget and the church family usually feeds them nightly. However sometimes that falls through the cracks. As we are the housing stewards for 8 sets of missionaries, they can call us with any needs or problems. We have told them that they are welcome to call for meals if they want or need to. So there choice was canned chili or call us. That is what we are here for, a home cooked meal when they need it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so happy to have some extra room in the freezer. The one in my house is just a mess. Just way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok yes same as I know missionaries to be. Did not know your were mormon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often have people tell me that they are shocked when they find out I am Mormon. That I don't act Mormon. I am not sure if I should take that as an insult or a compliment. Do Mormons act a certain way? Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete