Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Wednesday, Free Turkey?


 So as Wednesday is grocery add day it is time to peruse and see what we can't live without.   I am on a do not buy grocery challenge, I will only buy what is beyond a good sale.

So, the Thanksgiving adds are coming out and our local Albertson's has a deal where if you buy $150.00 worth of groceries you will get a Turkey free.  I have never bought $150.00 worth of groceries in my life.  Even when I am stocking up.  You can also get a turkey for .69 a pound if you spend over $50.00.  Now that is doable, but not for me at Albertsons, as I only buy loss leaders there and I rarely go over $20.00.

My grocery budget (when I am buying) is $75.00 a week and that is usually spread between 3 stores. I was at $40.00 a week for several years, and then had to go to $50 and this year I had to really jump it. I tried $60.00 and that was not even enough. By stockpiling what is on sale and gardening and getting leftovers from the food bank really helps me keep this total down.  I don't count on the leftovers, but I will take them.

Albertsons had a very expensive brand of butter that is usually $6 on sale for $2.99 limit 2.  I don't even think that is a good buy, but I do have a $1.25 off on Ibotta, so I will go back and get another when I pick up scripts.  If I buy one at a time, I will get a $2.50 credit on my Ibotta app.  That is the extent of my groceries for the week folks.  I will check at Winco for their Turkey special as it will be close to Albertson's and that is where I would normally shop for most things.

I actually talked myself off my cliff yesterday ad did get things done.  Thanks for all the support.  I don't know why I let things derail me like that. I think I just really hate wasting my time waiting for people on phone trees. It is so aggravating. 

I have five projects I would like to finish today.

1. wedding dress

2. make table runners

3. hem a bathrobe that is lined

4. get a pillow topper made with trim

5. start on a large pile of curtains

I managed to get to Jo anns last night for a couple of zippers and used a coupon as zippers are so expensive. But I stopped at Wal mart for serger thread.  The same brand thread is $2.49 at Wal-mart and it is $5.49 at Jo anns. Jo anns irritates me to no end with their prices. But I have to shop there as I really don't have many choices here.

I am going to put a chicken onto roast and get to work.  Let's see what I can get done today.

Any good sales in your area?  Are stores offering free Turkeys if you buy so much?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negtive.

Kim


24 comments:

  1. Lots of good sales - but NO free turkeys. It has been years since I have seen that deal. Not sure if I will go out or not. I probably should cook the turkey I have in freezer and get a new one (.49 lb.) Heck fire - you can't get lunchmeat that cheap. So many things can be done with turkey - I love it.
    Have a great evening!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Unfortunately, I have no room for a turkey in my freezer. I do have a ham and a prime rib that I need to cook. I also did a whole chicken yesterday, so I will get at least 3 if not 4 meals out of that.

      Delete
  2. Glad you did some work yesterday ;). I am still turkey less…well one is in my freezer from last year. Kroger has 0.99 butterball if you buy $25 worth of other stuff. Doable. Everyone else, Albertsons/Safeway and a local Arizona store, matches Kroger price. Was at winco and the cashier told me that starting next week, for a spend of $125, they give you a free turkey (any size). Sigh. So I may not buy a turkey. My freezer is fairly full so I have to decide…Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeh gads! $125.00 I doubt I would buy that much. Anyway going down to southern Idaho so I am sure daughter will buy the turkey. I don't have room in the freezer anyway.

      Delete
  3. I got a Turkey for 98 cents a lb at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. The day after Halloween, I got six large pumpkins reduced from 5.99 to 1.99 each. Almost no one cooks with pumpkin here. Sweet potato pies are the pie of choice. I had numerous folks in line (huge crowds because it was the first of the month in a small town and it was Walmart) ask me if I decorated with the pumpkins and when I said I cooked them, their mouths fell open and they asked me how. I explained the baking/roasting and taking the seeds out and roasting those in oven. I do need to buy cream cheese but other than that, I can’t think of anything. I went to SAMS and got eggs. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SAMS trip was when I went to University town. I also bought dog food, paper towels, ice cream bars and Gatorade for the middle son, fresh organic spinach a large container, a large container of little tomatoes, a large container of sour cream, and a large bag of potatoes. I like SAMS because of the larger size of everything. I am feeding my three grown sons and my ex husband at Thanksgiving and they eat a lot. Cindy in the South

      Delete
    2. Well SMS is the way to go if you are feeding a crowd. I have a pumpkin to cook this weekend.

      Delete
  4. When I turned 50 I decided I no longer had to eat anything I didn't like. I've not eaten turkey in 14 years! Instead I keep my eye out for sales on steak. I treat myself on Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celie,
      When I was eight, I decided I no longer had to eat anything I did not like. I just could not say it aloud because there four younger than me that Mama did not want to be influenced by my decisions.

      Delete
    2. You know I am the same way. IF I don't like it I won't eat it. I do like turkey once in a while.

      Delete
  5. The only turkey deal here this week was $0.48/lb. But, I am never buying a turkey again since I have trouble handling it and hate the dark meat. Tommy eats the dark meat but prefers the breast. I have a breast from January thawing right now for Thanksgiving. I will bake it and freeze it this weekend. The turkey breast was $0.99/lb. That is good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like a Turkey once in a while and will even cook one up when it is not a holiday.

      Delete
  6. I am not paying attention to sales this week, until I get back Monday morning. A free turkey with a 150 dollar purchase is not much of a win .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought our turkey a few weeks ago for .98 a pound. I only shop every two or three weeks so always spend more than 150.00 but it all equals out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know with the rise in prices it is easy to spend $150.00

      Delete
  8. I'll need sweet potatoes, carrots, and squash for my roasted root vegetable side and and watching for sales on wine. I'll start adding Christmas things too, but not sure the plans yet. I don't need a turkey since I'm not hosting. My daughter got a vegan stuffing roast to bring along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have everything I need to make a Thanksgiving dinner except the Turkey, but as I am not hosting I won't get one either. I may buy one after if there is a good left over sale.

      Delete
  9. Our Kroger has 0.59 cents pound turkey if you spend $25. I am not a huge turkey fan, so I will not get one. I have a turkey breast in my freezer which is good enough for our family. No free turkeys around here. I did see sales for chicken broth, cream of whatever soups, and stuffing this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is not a bad deal, but if you don't like turkey I would also pass.

      Delete
  10. no free turkeys around here. I spent $70.72 on stock up of turkey (2 at $1.07/ lb. that I will can and pepperoni log that I will cut up to make 12 pizzas if not more) I spent $61.75 for dairy, fresh mushrooms, red onions and salad stuff for TWO weeks. We only go to the store every other week. I really need to find a quick pie crust to get away from Aunt Shirley's pie crust (Pillsbury that Daddy thought she was making from scratch). Budget is set for $70 per week including stocking up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually find with my grocery budget that most is spent on stock up.

      Delete
  11. My local supermarket gives you a free turkey after you spend $400, but it's cumulative from September - November. (I have 2 teenage boys, so hit that quite early)

    ReplyDelete