Monday, January 29, 2018

Monday, Money saving Madness


     My arthritis is flaring especially in my shoulders.  I have been having terrible night sweats so I know the disease is on the move.  It is hard to sleep with the pain and the waterworks.  I think I am going to have to call the doctor and do something.  Crap!  Just what I need, I keep thinking it will go away.




    I will have to do taxes this week along with cleaning my desk and paying bills.  You all know how I love to do my taxes.  At least it is just the shop and personal.   The days of trying to get studio taxes done are over.  Yippee!  I don't know if we will owe or get back.  My accountant says the first two years of retirement are up in the air and then you can plan.  The fact that I had two businesses when Hub's retired made things more complicated.  Last year we had a refund.  I am praying for the same this year.


     Struggling today with a little bit of the blues, probably brought on by lack of sleep and arthritis pain.  I need to find some way of lifting my spirits.  I need to do something, clean something, work on something, do something active.  January is a long month for me and I have always had to fight the blues in the winter.  Now January has been made significantly shorter with my Sissie coming.  February is almost here and the days are getting a little longer, the sun is getting stronger.  I just keep telling myself I can do this. 

On to Monday's money saving madness the 4th week of January 2018

1.  Cooked all but one meal at home.
2. Tried to use up what we had in stock
4.  Made a large ham last the week and then some with freezer meals.
5. Stayed out of the stores as much as possible.
6.  Passed by many mark down bins and it was still hard.
7. Added several squares to my quilt project from levis I shortened.
8. Used the indoor clothes line to dry many items.
9. Hubs and I unclogged a drain and made arrangements for a friend to come and fix the last  little drip. So no plumbing cost.
10.Cleaned out the linen closet (again) and took many things to Good will and made a bag for Hub's cousin of two sets of king size sheets and a dozen assorted pillow cases.  We had way too many.  I swear linens have sex in the closet and multiply.
11.Sissie made 6 pie crusts to put in my freezer for later use.
12. Finally got a response from cell phone carrier.  A lower bill plus a $180.00 credit.  Score!
13.  Found a very baroque framed mirror that I have been wanting for the dining room.  It had to be of good size, the glass had to be beveled, it had to be of good quality.  Found the perfect mirror at a thrift store.  It was painted blue.  I paid $29.00 for a really expensive mirror.  Little sis is painting it white for me. I have been looking for this for almost two years.  But it pays to wait and get what you want.
14.  Finally tweaked the recipe for my wax wraps and made quite a few.  I love them and will post pictures tomorrow.

So how was your frugal week?  Did you do anything to save money?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim




19 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    Think your night sweat are caused by menopause?
    I cooked all our meals at home and we’ve stayed home a lot partly because we wanted to avoid flu germs.
    I did spend money on a bunk bed futon combo that is really needed when guests are here. I did shop around on Amazon and got the best deal, Husband and I put it together.
    That’s wonderful you found the mirror you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I went through menopause 10 years ago. These night sweats are caused by my immune system. Great you got a good deal on the futon bed.

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! The Mirror sounds like a bargain plus!
    I am like Rhonda and staying at home because the flu is horrid here right now and I am trying to avoid it. I just wish the people who were sick would stay home instead.
    Nice saves on the financial front!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have it here but not as bad as you. I cannot get a flu shot because of the meds I take so I am staying clear.o

      Delete
  3. Bless you! I was thinking menopause too. Tuberculosis causes night sweats, you aren't coughing, are you? (trying to be silly here) Congrats! on finding your dream mirror!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get tb tests regularly. it is an autoimmune response to a flare.

      Delete
  4. Yay on the great find on that mirror! Does walking help lift your mood? I know it does mine. Jeff and I took a walk today after we got back from my annual "boob smooshing". I am always so keyed up after those that I need to get out and walk so I don't have a panic attack. Maybe you can go and walk the levies. Things are budding out all over and it could be fun to see what Spring bulbs might be up. :) I need to get busy on our taxes too. We finally got the last of the forms we needed so I can get started on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boob smashing I love it. My boobs are to small to smash so I really don't enjoy it. Now if it was butt smashing?

      Delete
  5. Winter causes me to be down. My answer--lots of lights on in one room. LED lights are not expensive anymore and are cheaper to run than old fashioned ones. I hope you post a picture of the mirror. Congratulations on the find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I turn on lights also it is better and cheaper than meds. I will post a picture once it is up!

      Delete
  6. I have a potential pick me up. find out what might be going on in your local schools. I just got home form the variety show at the high school. My daughter was not in it, but many of her friends and was it ever good, and for practically nothing! I find shutting myself in too long, which I do in the winter, is not good form my mood but getting out and about, even if for only an hour, cheers me up a bit. I had a bad arthritis day too, so hope I will be albe to get some sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually just went to one last week. As hubs is in charge of local theater much of the time I am there a lot. But that is a great idea.

      Delete
  7. Frugal.... Didn't need to get any groceries this weekend. I will be eating what I have until next weekend. I decided to not get the $100 corner shelf unit - I opted for a $20 wire unit that works fine. Made a meal plan with what I have in the cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, it is hard to make choices that benefit us financially isn't it?

      Delete
  8. As someone who also has a chronic illness, I feel your pain. I hope your doctor can give you something to help relieve your symptoms.

    Fantastic find on the mirror! The biggest thing Hubs and I did was refi our mortgage from a 30 to a 15 year and decrease the interest rate by 1.25%. Woohoo. So excited that we will start seeing more progress in getting our house paid off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a real satisfaction let me tell you. Yes having an illness like this is no joke.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on finding the mirror. Hope you post a photo of it. Sounds so pretty,
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank for your very good article! i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!

    หนังการ์ตูน

    ReplyDelete