Sunday, November 22, 2020

Sunday, Plans for Thanksgiving!


 I have written out my Thanksgiving menu and assigned dishes to the kids.  We will have a small group of 5 adults and 3 little ones, 2 who are babies.  This is the smallest group I have cooked for, but will make the usual large meal as we have any missionary in the area coming over for leftovers on Friday. I might have to make more mashed potatoes on Friday but we will see.

Last night I went to Lil sis's as she had stopped by to hold Kelsa and knew that we were ordering pizza for dinner.  I do try and order out at least once a month and we had not had anything out since daughters birthday on Oct.19th.  Lil sis texted me a recipe for my mom's cranberry salad and asked me to bring her some pizza.  I ran down with a couple of slices and we watched a movie together.  Actually I think we both dozed through most of it.  She had been working in her yard all day and I was still very head achy and tired, I am assuming from the flue shot.  Hubs called about 8:30 and said that one of the sister missionary apartments had their toilet not flushing so we needed to get over there. We ran up and fixed the toilet and I invited the three girls to come over and make pies on Tuesday.

I worked on my quilt yesterday and was able to get 12 more blocks done.  I hope to do 12-24 more today.  I have a mess everywhere from quilting because  I cannot or have not learned to contain a project.😛 Anyway I am a work in progress.

Menu for Thanksgiving is as follows:

Turkey with dressing  and a small side of oyster dressing for hubs, gravy

potatoes both russet mashed and sweet

green bean casserole (Signe')

cranberry jello salad and cranberry sauce

Martha Stewart squash

relish tray (Braunwyn)

Homemade rolls

Pies: Pumpkin, Dutch apple, chocolate cream and coconut cream

Pumpkin roll.

 There will be plenty of leftovers I am sure.  Girls have been assigned what they are to contribute and they will be down early on Thursday to help cook.  I will do some things early, like pies and turkey stuffing also sweet potatoes can heated up in micro wave.  I used to have a double oven and I don't have that any more so I will have to jungle again.  

One thing this virus has taught me is to be very thankful for family.  They are a great comfort to me. I am so grateful to my children and loved ones. I am grateful to be able to have access to this menu of food and to have enough to share with others.

What are you cooking for Thanksgiving?

Have a peaceful and restful Sabbath.

Kim  



20 comments:

  1. Turkey, cornbread dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mac and cheese, some sort of greens dish, my local two younger sons do not like traditional collards or turnip greens so may do spinach dip....lol. I have debated on doing a pecan pie and a sweet potato pie instead of the casserole but not sure yet. The meal is heavy on carbs.....I will be cooking with a mask and food grade gloves on, and dropping off on front porches of relatives and waving from the car. I am around too many folks in court and have relatives with health issues including cancer. I cannot risk exposing them to Rona. It will be different for sure. That is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find mac and cheese a funny traditional dish. But I see it all over. I never have allowed that in my house. You know that cheap boxed mac and cheese. I associate it that with poverty and obesity. You can eat a whole box of it yourself and it is addicting....:) Any way it seems to be a national favorite. I had Sluggy make me collards last time we visited, and I was not a fan either. Funny story about eldest. When she was in law school they were allowed to buy immunity from questions by professors at Christmas time by placing a box or can of food on the lectern which would later be delivered to the food bank. Daughter had me buy a case ( we bought her groceries while she was in school)of that cheap mac n cheese for her to have for this food drive. It would give her several chances to get out of questions. I told her I could not believe that she buying a food I forbid in my house and donating it to the poor. But it was a bang for your buck situation. Have a Happy Thanksgiving you and so pleased that you are delivering food to people.

      Delete
    2. The mac and cheese is homemade and baked in the oven. The boxed stuff is a no no down here, especially for Thanksgiving...lol. Have a wonderful Happy Thanksgiving too! If boxes of mac and cheese got me out of questions, I would have bought a case of it also.....lol. Cindy in the South

      Delete
  2. I will be alone but cooking and will deliver food to some friends who do not cook.
    Turkey, ham, sausage stuffing, mashed potato stuffing, candied yams, fried apples, cranberry sauce and gravy. Made caramel apple crumb pie today along with chili for a friend. Only making a pumpkin cheesecake pie for thanksgiving to share. Some of the prep I did today and froze.I’m usually alone as no family but still like to cook and keep some traditions even if just for me. Not too much a fan of holidays these past few years......lucky you have family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you to do for others when you are alone. It makes me sad, and if you were here I would have you over. Pumpkin cheesecake sounds so good right now. You have the right attitude. My twin sister has no children and she is often lonely and gets into a funk. But she does so much for others. She is so important to those she serves. I sometimes remind her of those people that she is constantly doing for. To them she is a god send and I imagine you are that also. Have a Happy Thanksgiving, wish I could be with you.

      Delete
  3. All sounds terrific. I was achy after flu shot this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I had the old person shot this year, (apparently a stronger one if you’re over 65.) Very achy with chills ......: I had to reassure myself it was the shot, not the other...

      Delete
    2. Well I just realized why I did not get as sick as Hubs (who never gets sick) I did not get the double dose and I still felt a little off. Okay I will admit I am usually a little off....

      Delete
  4. This year my brother, sister and I are cooking everything. I am cooking the turkey, dressing and gravy. My sister and her girlfriend are cooking cranberry sauce, corn casserole and mashed potatoes and I think sweet potatoes casserole. My brother and his girlfriend are making rolls, green beans, deviled eggs, broccoli and cheese casserole and pies. So basically my parents wont have to do anything except enjoy the food. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is so great! I cannot imagine the time I will have to do nothing, but I can cream about it.

      Delete
  5. I am not cooking. We were going to have turkey sandwiches but have decided to get some roasted turkey from the deli. I found a pan of dressing that just has to be put in the oven, I bought some jarred gravy, and found some collards I had cooked during the summer and frozen. I will throw together. green bean casserole but I don't really count that as cooking, nor is the cranberry relish that virtually. makes itself in the food processor. TheHub is picking up a pumpkin roll from Aldi andI may or may not make a pecan pie on Wednesday. Depends on my mood and whether or not I start another upholstery project Tuesday. It is just going to be the two of us and I would be just as happy with the turkey sandwiches, but someone else changed his mind. Not sayin' who though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes tough this year, just me on Thanksgiving (I have children, 3 in town and 12 grandkids. :( two girls are RN’s one ICU and here in Minnesota Covid is terrible and I’ll isolate. They’ll get a plate to go, deliver to me. All feel they can’t isolate enough to be near me. I’m healthy but over 65 taking no chances maybe overboard for some but where I’m at.

      Delete
    2. Oh I wish you were close, I would deliver you a plate of food and two pieces of pie because I would not want your hips lopsided. I am glad you are isolating my friend.

      Delete
    3. Isn't it just like a man to ruin all your well made plans. Yum you said pumpkin roll....

      Delete
  6. Contain a project???? If you ever learn how to do so please let me know.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so some one else has to strew their creativity through out the house? I actually find fabric scraps in my bed. My kids will come home and go into a room and not my shop and say, "Mother which one of your personalities created this mess?" I knew we jumped off the same star.

      Delete
  7. I just got my wife back through the help of genuine love spell caster dr Odion. Ever since Dr Odion helped me, my wife is very stable, faithful and closer to me than before. You can also contact this spell caster and get your relationship fix. Here his contact, WhatsApp him at:  +234813 648 2342  
    Email him at: wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my husband leaves I don't want him back, just sayin.

      Delete
  8. No one is really a turkey fan, so we typically do steak + mashed potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, bacon & a squash salad. I have lime curd & am thinking of making a pie or something with it for dessert. Still TBD on that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh lime curd, my mouth just salivated, must wipe keyboard. I know several people who are not big Turkey fans and have steak. Whatever your family loves, I say make it!

      Delete