Friday, July 7, 2017

Friday, How our temp is determined

     Weather believe it or not is political.  Not that we can control mother nature, but we can control how we report the weather.

     Lewiston is the hot spot of the state.  Lewiston was also at one time the state of Idaho's capitol.  When we finally were able  to some what predict weather (note the some what) Lewiston did not want to be know as the hot spot.  It is not good for business to constantly be the hottest place in an area.  So the city started to take its temperature (official) from the top of the highest point in the valley.  The airport tower has a temp gauge about 15 feet above the tower itself.  Yes the highest point they could legally find and still say Lewiston.  Clever!

     As we are built on a series of steep hills and grades, as you descend into town you hit several different levels until you hit the levy system that is just a few feet above sea level.  In fact the town  would flood every year with out its levy system.  The official temperature in down town Lewiston can and is always 10 degree higher than that taken at the airport and given to the National weather station.  If you live here long you will realize this and not buy a house in down town Lewiston.  I really don't believe there are any marketable houses by the river.

     So all this being said, when you climb to normal hill you go down 3 degrees, then up to my level you go down 6 degree then to the orchard level another 2-3 degrees.  Finally the tower at the airport.  If Lewiston calls for a High of 104 it will be 114 down town and 110 at my house.

       The high for the state is always in Orophino a town built on the river about 40 miles up from Lewiston.  It holds the State prison, the State Metal hospital and a large fish hatchery.  We let them be the hot spot for the state.  Sneaky huh?

     It is going to be a crazy day as I have already had 8 phone calls,and 4 customers before 10:30.  I have fixed two tent zippers (emergency) and have a huge pile of things to get done.  I am a little head achy as it is hard to keep up the fluids in the heat.

     I think we are going to work on the deck this weekend.  Oh goody as it is in full hot sun.

Have a great and productive day!

Kim

8 comments:

  1. I always thought it was funny in the early Spring when you said your veggies where growing/blooming/ripening. Nothing here gets ripe until mid to late July(and I am talking easy stuff like salad greens, snow peas, radishes and cukes-not kooks).
    Now I know why. lolz

    I will bring along a donation to the Kim's Utility Fund so we can have a/c when I get there. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh quit whining, you will be fine, I will turn it on, then I will turn blue from the cold. I think?

      Delete
  2. Soooo, why does metal need to be hospitalized? Sorry, I cannot help it. I agree with slugmama, I would donate money to use the ac all I wanted. Money means nothing when I am asthmatic, hot and itchy with heat rash, and just want to throw up from heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can take the heat as long as I am wearing cotton, but that doesn't mean I won't bitch about it. Sluggy, start Go Fund Me utility page for your visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the heat! It is my friend. But I will keep Sluggy as comfortable as I can.

      Delete
  4. It's so hot here in Florida too! A/c is a must have here, especially with all the humidity. Great job on your savings- I love how you are documenting the balances on your side bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hub's brother lives in Florida, and I know the humidity is bad, but we don't have that problem. I feel for you that do.

      Delete