Monday, July 3, 2017

Monday,Money saving madness

     First of all thank you to all of your that sent messages on my debt pay off .  It really helps to have cheer leaders.  It also helps to have people who have my back and that I can bounce ideas off of when I need to.

     Well here it is July already and we are 1/2 way through 2017.  It seems hard to believe.  It has gone so quickly yet parts of it were so slow and aggravating.  I  feel like I have accomplished so much in the last 6 months.  I have eliminated a large amount of debt.  I have officially retired form my weekly teaching. Mother is still a significant burden and getting worse all the time.  Thank goodness I have more time to deal with her and her drama.

     The month of July will not be a month where I concentrate on a new debt to eliminate.  Instead I am going to concentrate on savings.  I will pay all my bills and still contribute to my debts but I will not be snowballing any extra money on them.  I will spend the next 2 months trying to save up to $3000.00.  As I have eliminated debt I have more to put on my debts but some of this money will be in savings.  After I reach this goal I will concentrate on paying back another debt.My reason for this savings goal is to help with Christmas and bill paying.  Our monthly bills with the house and debt and monthly expenses come to about $3000.00  I want this amount in the bank to pay all bills on the first and then replace as checks come in.  My goal is to be one month ahead on all my bills except the house.  This will alleviate so much of my stress. I still struggle with monthly bill payments.  I have the money I just don't have it on the day the bill is due.  It is always a scramble and I want an account I can go to that will pay these bills.  We do have a savings account but it is untouchable.  I do use it but I want it to be more sacred so to speak.  I just feel this will work better for me.  If it does not I will try another tack.

     Money Saving Madness
1.  Hung sheets on the fence instead of drying in the dryer
2.  Cooked all meals but one at home
3.  Made 30 jars of jam with frozen fruit from our freezer.  All this fruit was free and I used jars that were given me or picked up for free.  My seals were purchased on a closeout sale for .99 a box. My pectin was also bought for .99 a box at the end of the season. The sugar was purchased at Christmas on loss leader sales.  I know cheap jam at stores is less expensive than making your own.  But the flavor of mine is so much better.  It has no corn syrup, lots of fruit and is worth the time and expense.
4.  Picked all salad fixings from garden.
5. Picked fresh strawberries and blueberries for mom to eat with her breakfasts.
6. Picked green beans, zucchini, cucumbers, yellow squash, for meals
7. Made 8 home made pie crusts for future pies. Froze 6 of them
8.  Used 12 old mealy apples, of different varieties to make a great apple salad and then one apple pie.
9.  Fed all peeling and scraps to the chickens.
10. made two large bags of cherry pie filling from cherries hubs picked off our tree.
11.  Only purchased loss leaders when I went grocery shopping.
12.  Mom wanted Swedish meatballs, so pulled burger bought for under $2.00 a pound out of freezer, needed sausage and went to stare and found sausage from butcher block for $1.29 on sale.  So made 12 dozen large meat balls and froze majority.  Saved all dripping in little containers to make gravy later, also froze.
13.  Needed eye make up remover and found it on sale at Wal-mart


  So all in all it was a good week at saving money.

     I do have to take a girl friend out to lunch on Thursday, but other than that I plan to really try and not spend unless I have to this week.

     I worked like a dog this last weekend, even over did it as far as I am concerned.  Most of my time was spent trying to make Mom happy.  She did not appreciate any of it and went over to Lil sis's and complained about me.  Lil sis jumped me of course and I tried to defend myself.  I only did what mom wanted to do.  She asked to make meatballs.  I was going to make Italian and freeze ahead.  But she wanted Swedish meatballs.  She also had a potluck at her church and wanted to take 4th of July cookies, so I made those with her.

        But she was mad that I made up a meal for a lady in my church whose husband had just gotten home from cancer treatments.  I bought all the food, I did not ask her to buy it.  ( Like she would give up a penny to me) I did all the work while she badgered and watched me.  I did all the clean up.  I waited on her hand and foot.  Out of 144 meatballs I only sent 12 to the sick family.  But she hates my religion so she goes to Lil sis and complains.  I lit into my sister something fierce.  I was so mad.  How dare she.  I know mom is old and nasty and forgetful.  But Lil sis taking her side and chastising me went way beyond.  I don't think she will do it again.  I told her I was packing mom up and moving her over to her house.  I was done.  Well Lil sis does not want her nor can she take care of her.  So she backed down.  But I cried so hard.  I have never had my head hurt so badly while crying before.  I am just so tired of not being appreciated for what I do.


Atten:  I need to retract much of the aforementioned paragraph.  I am not being fair to my sister.  Mom comes between us and the religion thing just put me over the edge.  It was a very hard week with mom.  To take my anger and frustration out on my sister is and was wrong.  We need to stick together.  Using social media to air dirty laundry is wrong.  It is one thing to complain about my situation with mom, who clearly has issues related to age and illness but to take is out on my sister and paint her in a bad light is mean, selfish, and wrong.  I am sorry for my temper and anger.  I can't take back what I wrote or what you might think, but know that I am sorry I besmirched my sweet, funny,caring, kind, generous sister.

     I am tired. In spite of it all I will try to have.....

Have a great and productive day!


Kim

28 comments:

  1. Hugs to you Kim - I don't know how you do all that you do. Congrats on the debt payoff too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just sounds like sis wants to be the favorite, always siding with your mother, no matter what. And, your mother's crankiness is going beyond old age and dementia. Can I ask what your religion is and your mother's? Fighting over religion or holding grudges about religion never works in my head, never has! I don't know how you do all you do. And, then to be mistreated on top of that? At least you are getting the debts/bills under control. Good for you. And, good for standing up to sis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Mormon, my mother is an old school Methodist.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Actually the problem is really mom and I am and was unfair to my sister. Just feeling alone and sorry for myself.

      Delete
  3. Yes, save all that money spending for the end of July when I arrive! lolz

    Lil sis better not give you any crap when I am there....just sayin'.

    And I knew you'd get that quick loc loan paid off! Well done. 8-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. I love my sister and I am allowing mom and my feeling or frustration and anger about her behavior to affect my relationship with my sister and that is wrong. You will really like her and I need to get a grip and quit being a martyr.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry, Kim. I don't know what your religion is, but from what you share on your blog, it must be one of caring about others, much like Jesus taught us to do. Hugs as you deal with your mom and your sis.

    When it comes to money, you and I share so many of the same struggles. I've been trying to slowly add to our savings for the very same reasons you have. Now if I could only leave it put!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Mormon. Mom hates my religion, but really she hates my husband. If Hub's was rich, and a hard worker and had been someone she could brag about she would have over looked the religion. But as he is lazy and can be a pompous ass sometimes....

      Delete
    2. I need to apologize to my sister. I am allowing my relationship with my mother which is rocky because of her age and condition to affect my feelings for my sister. we are both in this together and to make you think she is bad or wrong is bad and wrong of me. She is a wonderful person and is in this situation with me. Shame on me for flapping on social media.

      Delete
  5. Good for you with the $3,000 saving goal. Many people do the month ahead plan (YNAB, for instance), and there is a real peace in having the money on hand to pay bills. It takes a lot of stress out of bill paying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am finally in a financial position to do this.

      Delete
  6. My heart goes out to you with the family issues. I wish your sister would learn that putting mom in between you two doesn't work. You are rocking the debt and taking steps to have a greater peace of mind in regards to money. You are very much appreciated and and looked up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. My sister is not the problem. Mom is the problem and I am allowing my mother to affect my relationship with my sister whom I love. I need to retract the things I have said as they are just feelings of anger over a situation and don't belong on this blog. I am feeling sorry for myself which makes me a bit bitchy. Okay alot bitchy. Like being locked up in an RV with my family when it is raining for days, and days, and days.

      Delete
  7. I am truly sorry you are having issues with your sister about you mom's care. I understand perfectly how frustrating and time consuming it can be (and Mom does not even live with me). I am so thankful My Beloved Sister and I are on the same page where Mom is concerned, because I can see how hard a difficult situation could be with differences of opinions MBS and I have made it clear to Mom that we share all info regarding her with each other, so she will not be able to play one of us against the other.
    Hang in there and get ready for company who will be on your fighting side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. As mom gets worse this situation gets worse. I allowed mom to come between sis and I. I am sorry and I love my sister to death. It was the religion thing that just set me off. mom will not change, but my sister and I have a long future together and I am ashamed that I printed some bad things about her or painted her in a bad light. She too is wonderful.

      Delete
  8. You old your sister exactly what she needed to hear...if you don't like how I am doing this, then you do it yourself. It sounds as if you really take very good care of your mother. Your sister should be grateful.
    Oh, GOD FORBID! Not LDS! The horror! Sheesh. How narrow minded. I refuse to countenance any church which dismisses our Mormon brothers and sisters. And from what I know of my LDS friends, I feel safe saying that your faith, at many times, might be the only thing keeping your from booting your mother right out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Meg. I did this in hurt and anger. I should not have. Mom is so good at getting between us and I really hurt my sister with this. Realize that I too am weak and just got myself down and feeling sorry for myself which although is a normal feeling should not be put out on social media. I love my sister and we are in this together.

      Delete
  9. The best thing about sisters is that we are so forgiving. My sister and I can get so angry at each other and lash out and the next minute we are laughing and giggling. It is a unique bond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness, but did you trash yours on social media?

      Delete
  10. I'm sure you and lil sis will get over this - my 4 sibs and I had many a disagreement over the years regarding our parents and their care - not everyone felt the same but we had to forgive and forget. Enuf said. When I was working I did what you are trying to do now - have 1 month's money ahead - it really did alleviate stress in a big way never having to worry about getting the money in there before the bills came along. Great strategy Kim!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. I feel really bad and I hope she forgives me.

      Delete