Monday, November 20, 2017

Monday, Money saving madness, cheese ball recipe





At grandma's we do our morning chores, we take our bottle with for a snack because collecting eggs is hard work.  Grandma and I dress alike and we don't even do it on purpose.  We are just like that.

Hubs and I spent most of Saturday shopping for Christmas and getting things done that we needed to do together. We get practically no time alone as mom does not like to be left.  So Lil sis was able to take her Saturday afternoon.  It was nice just to go and get what we needed.  Hub's desperately needed new walking boots and shoes.  We purchased him a pair of shoes and now he wants both so I will go back and get the high tops for his birthday.  These are expensive but I still believe death begins with your feet and we have both had so many problems with our feet.
 
 We were able to buy our grandsons gifts, and a few things for son-in-laws.  I will take care of the girls. Then we actually went out to dinner alone.  We had Mexican at our favorite little dive, but it is real Mexican and so good. (Sluggy think of Effies  only worse decor and Mexican food) yeah here in Idaho we are all about ambience. 

Sunday morning we had  a Temple dedication and we went to the 8:00 session, so we could spend plenty of time with Will.  When we got home I told Hubs to be really quiet so daughter could sleep in and we would get Will when he woke up.  But as we tip toed past the door we could hear Will crowing to himself.  Hub's went in and snatched him up while daughter continued to sleep.  We had a big breakfast with pancakes, eggs, bacon.  I forgot how far one could spread syrup if one tries.  Luckily the dog was able to clean up most of the mess because I think Will enjoyed feeding him more them eating.  I played with Will all day.  His mommy got a good lie in and then went out to lunch with a girl friend.  So Will and I took a nap later in the day.  That is where mommy found us.  Then they went home. *sniff*  The end.

Money Saving Madness:

1.Cooked  all but one meal at home this week from scratch
2. Ate up all leftovers ( our chickens were not happy)
3. Found a turkey at a good price to freeze for later
4. Picked up cream cheese and 2lbs of other cheese on a loss leader so stocked up.
5. Used coupons at Jo Anns for needed items
6. Mom tried to buy Rhodes bread dough and I made her put it back, made fresh for pennies
7.Used coupons and a gift card from Clairol to get two packages of hair dye for .16
8. Found panty hose on clear out at rite aid for 1.29 bought 3 pairs for winter.
9. Picked up large packages of chicken legs and thighs at .49 lb.

Kim's cheese ball recipe
You know those little cheese balls they sell at the holiday's  they are good but also expensive This recipe will make two huge cheese balls or you can divide it up for gifts. 

2 packages Philadelphia cream cheese do not use x brand   .88 a package now stock up
1 box or two pouches Lipton or onion soup mix  1.00
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese  2 lb loaf is 4.00 right now it will take 1 lb.
1 package of fake crab  Winco  1.86
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
 
Mix with gloves on or a heavy spoon.
roll into balls and then roll in chopped nuts, pecans or walnuts, or chopped parsley or paprika.
This will make 2 HUGE cheese balls or 6 smaller gift balls.  

My daughter makes this into little pumpkin shapes and adds a clove for a stem.  She uses different nuts and a variety of things to roll balls in for a center piece.

With nuts this recipe will cats about 9.00 with tax.  But the bang for your buck is great.  It will taste better and what a nice gift.  A box of your favorite crackers and say 1/4 of this recipe.  Where can you get a gift like that for under 5.00?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

15 comments:

  1. So glad you got to spend the day with your grandson. So cute how you both dressed alike! Sorry they had to leave. Will you be seeing them again, soon? For Christmas, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will and his mom will fly out tomorrow to go to my oldest daughters house. Our youngest will fly back here tomorrow from our oldest daughters house. Our youngest will be with us for Thanksgiving. Will and his parents will not be with us for Christmas but we will drive to eldest daughters and may just bring youngest. We will see. They all live in different towns. I get what I can when I can.:)

      Delete
  2. Cream cheese is nearer $3 here. unless there is an unusual sale in the middle of the sales cycle, Wed will be the first chance for it to go down. It sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Albertsons had it for .88 limit 2. Of course I went back 4 times :)

      Delete
    2. Maybe the Wednesday ads will have something cheap and not 50 miles away.

      Delete
  3. I love the photo of you and your grandson in your matching clothes.
    My son took over the cheese ball making a few years ago and I’m thankful he does. He puts that dried beef in a jar inside and chopped pecans on the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so good. There are so many varieties. Yeah we dress alike alot:) I love overalls.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so cute! I plan to try your cheese ball recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The variations are endless with this recipe. I could live on cheeseball, crackers, chocolate and diet coke.

      Delete
  6. What an adorable picture of the two of you.Love it. Great savings!! I am glad you and your hubby got some time away. We love cheeseballs here. I make them a lot for holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it. We lost our second little girl soon after she was born. When I became pregnant again I asked for a little girl with a certain color of red hair. I had my prayers answered and she had curly red hair. Now I have the spitten image of her in a curly red haired grandson. God is good.

      Delete
  7. I think that's the first photo I've ever seen of you Kim :) I love how at that age kids don't need to use their hands on their bottles anymore! What a gorgeous head of hair he has, oh my! Sounds like a really special day together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so much fun. I am the messy grandma, out in the dirt. Sorry I just can't be pristine. Probably why I have all grandsons.

      Delete
  8. It is so good to finally "see" you and your grandson is adorable! I had to laugh at your comment about Effies...the burgers are good but the setting seriously is lacking. ;) So you must share...what is the name of the Mexican place you went to? I love authentic Mexican food! In Moscow, ID we have found that La Madrid is the best place to get the authentic stuff.

    ReplyDelete