Thursday, November 30, 2017

Thursday, Peppekakor is done!

I think Peppakakor is one of the favorite cookies we make during the holidays.
This recipe is very old.  It is also a favorite of Sluggies so it must be good!  These do not have to be frosted.  But I do it at Christmas.







Bake at 350

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
Cream together and Add:
1 egg  and cream with sugar and butter.

In a separate small bowl  dissolve 1 tsp soda in 1tbls of hot water.
take above mixture and add to 1/4 cup molasses

Add the above mixture to creamed mixture set aside.

In another large bowl
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbls cinnimon
1 tbls cloves
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp pepper
whisk all these together
mix the dry into the wet and then knead into a ball.  Mixture will be sticky add a little more flour as needed.

I use a scraper to work dough.  Refrigerate until firm.  Roll dough out in small batches .  Roll very thin and bake on parchment paper.

This recipe will make 7-10 dozen cookies depending on the size of the cutters.

Bake 8-10 minutes

Frosting:Melt 4 tbls butter, 1/4 cup milk, 1 tsp vanilla,  one tsp meringue powder, mix, now sift in powder sugar to make a thin frosting.


I use dollar store squeeze bottles to pipe frosting.  Meringue powder will harden your frosting for cookies.  Buy it at Jo anns,(use 50% off coupon, it will last forever)

Using parchment paper under this thin cookie will make it easy to remove from pan once cooked.  Just pull edge of paper and slide entire sheet onto cooling rack rather than using a spatula to remove individual cookies.  It is faster and you will have less breaking and bending. Then slide cookies off parchment and return it to pan. Parchment can be used over and over.

    Any questions?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

16 comments:

  1. I love pepper cookies. I have a drop recipe I use, because I have poor luck with rolled cookies--mine never, ever come out looking as lovely as yours do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same as what Meg said about rolled cookies. I am not a pepper fan, especially in cookies. Can I leave it out if I make these?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These aer just delicious cookies. I make these every year and love them, but I hate cutting cookies out with a cookie cutter (Impatience, thy name is Anne) so I roll them with a springerle rolling pin and just cut the squares with a pastry cutter. Then I do a simple piped icing on the edges. Yeah, I am just about always going to opt for the easiest solution.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan and I spend one Saturday in December at mom's baking cookies along with my sister and nieces. One thing we do each year is try a new recipe. I'm suggest we try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so yummy, I am going to try this recipe too! I tried your cheeseball recipe from one of your previous posts and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so pretty! Would these be the same as gingersnap cookies? I've always wanted to try making those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank for your very good article.! i always enjoy & read the post you are sharing!

    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete