Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Wednesday, Organized pantry

  
I had such a time yesterday and I really over worked my self.  Hubs and I had purchased on a close out sale two new storage shelves for our pantry. Remember 3 years ago before Mom moved in we were trying to downsize our pantry so we could go on a Mission when Hubs retired.  Those plans changed with mom and we have never really put the pantry back.  It was sort of all over.  We had a book shelf that Hubs made years ago for the girls and D#3 wants it.  The shelves were too narrow for storage but we used it as we are prone to do when we don't want to spend money on something.  So before Hubs left I told him I was going to reorganize and move out the book shelf. We needed real shelves.

So I spent a better part of two hours trying to put together an awful shelf kit and I finally had it in pieces and I had to return the dang thing.  I actually returned both.  I told the manager I wanted my money back, I wanted to be paid for the two hours of my time, I wanted the can of W-D 40 replaced I had used and someone to clean up the cat vomit from spraying too much WD40.  I then exchanged the two shelves for this one shelf.  I owed .3 cents which the manager paid out of his pocket. Then I came home and put this sucker together before I could even start organized the mess. I worked way too hard and about killed myself.

     But here it is, at least part of it.  So nice, you can't really see but the larger home canned fruit and tomatoes are on the bottom.




I used a shelf we already had and there is a little room between shelves for larger items, like gallons of Honey, vinegar etc.

I am basically a scratch cook, but I will buy cake mixes when they are .69 as then it is cheaper to use a mix.  The canned pie filling is purchased for .99 a can and is used in so many desserts.  Since I am constantly baking for others in need and time is a factor for me, I will use convenience things when I can get them on a good price.


Now I just have to clean and organize the freezers, and the outside storage in the garage.  I hope to get that done today.




 Here is the porch swept off.



The table and chairs are cleaned and wiped off.  Pillows stored for winter.  There is still so much to do in the back yard I can hardly look at it.  Yes it is beautiful but oh my...













     I really must get into my shop today, and I also need to go to Joanns.  I am going to make a big pot of potato soup  inspired by Mrs. Chrissy T,at Keeping Home.

     I would really like to start a menu challenge.  The problem is I am not really good at sticking to a menu.  Like Ann in the Kitchen it feels to constrained.  What if I don't want pot roast on Tuesday?  Okay who cooks pot roast on Tuesday anyway?  But I would like to have at least one pasta meal a week, one soup meal, and one bean or chowder like soup meal.  Since I always have some kind of a nice meal on Sunday, that leaves three more meals for the week.  I always use up leftovers for lunches and we have to have at least one evening of "Must go" as in everything in the fridge must go.  That only leaves 2 nights of the week for other meals. I am a firm believer in cooking large and eating something for a couple days.  My time is precious.

     So I will think on this for a while.  I love on Sluggy prints out her menu and then prints what really happened.   Well I am off to create chaos somewhere...

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

22 comments:

  1. Your pantry looks fantastic.. sorry you had so much trouble with the first set of shelves..
    I also buy cake mixes on sale. Easier and cheaper that way..[I store mine in the deep freeze] I have limited space for my pantry items, since moving to this small space-- no pantry .. and boy is it missed..
    I make a menu list and follow it most of the time..but.. some days things happen that I just can't fit that menu into that day... so, I switch it out.
    But, it does work for me to remember to take stuff out of the freezer..
    Have a great day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a deep freeze but alas no room. We have a one car garage.

      Delete
  2. I have no senses of spacial relation so I am always rubbish putting things together. I need to organize and update shelf in my laundry room, make room for some larger items. What brand shelf did you get the second time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a metal unit fro Big R. It went together pretty easy but was more expensive. Well to he!! with money at that point.

      Delete
  3. Mom's very good a putting things together. If she couldn't put something together then it's was defective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are darn right it was %$#@^ defective. I also want a quarter for every swear word I uttered, I would be out of debt. You know I have a computer brain when it comes to schematics. I'm like a flippen Robot, scan, move, done, diet coke.

      Delete
  4. Whew! You did work hard. I like that your pantry is realistic. It has some convience. My time is precious as well. It is helpful to have some items of convience. I do a pasta meal, soup night, mexican night, crockpot night, comfort food (casserole) night, and then leftover night. Hope ypu enjou the soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy soup. Forgive my misspellings.

      Delete
    2. I remember when I was graduating from college probably before you were born,personal computers were just coming out. Because I was double majoring in computer science and History, I was either in the computer lab or writing a paper. Well I typed all my papers on the University's first word processor. It was a rough version of what we have now but it did have spell check and you could add things into spell check Like Mesopotamia , you know things that you would easily misspell. When the History department found out I had not gone through the agony of hand typing and re re re reading they were furious. After all typing is part of the agony of paper writing. So the computer dept was in a fight with the History department. Back in the good old days? As long as you can get your point across who needs spelling? I am so done correcting papers:)

      Delete
  5. Well aren't you Miss Copykat Pants! You bought my pantry shelving. lolz Just be sure you watch the weightload on the shelves.....those MDF boards like to bow.

    Now I have to go tidy up my pantry so you don't put me to shame.......thanks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was careful and you know I am always happy to help:)

      Delete
  6. The menu plan is not for me. I like to have food leftover for another night. Some days, I can cook only one dish. Then, another day, I will cook another dish. This goes on and as I run out of one thing, I have cooked another...lol. I know the meal plan works, but I like to just have food available, ready to cook (frozen, canned, fresh) and can work from there. Looking at a menu would frustrate me.

    I never have trouble putting things together, either. I love that you asked for money for your time.

    Today, if you were sweeping the porch, you would have to sweep every hour. The oaks never turned the gorgeous yellow they usually do. They just fell all brown. And, the drizzle plastered them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now that sweeping this time of year is really not going to last but I did want to get the dirt cleaned up I had dumped all over.

      Delete
  7. That is a very nice looking pantry you've got there! Mine needs work! Something goes on sale, I buy a bunch of stuff, then, it sits there, unused, and then, it goes out of date! I'm not too fussy; I'll still eat it if it has "expired", but, sometimes, I end up tossing things and they spoil, turn rancid, etc. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, one thing I do is that my two younger daughters come and take from the pantry and I try to not buy anything else until I have use up what I have. I will not buy canned veggies or tomatoes or pasta or cake mixes for a long, long time.

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry about the mishap with the first set of shelves but am happy that the manager made it right for you. (((((HUGS))))) I'll bet if feels really good to have things organized again. I'm with you on mainly being a cook from scratch kind of girl but I also value my time (and energy) so I do use cake, brownie and sometimes even cookie mixes (if I can find them on sale).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cakes mixes just taste better sometimes they are so much moister unless you put a cup of oil in and then who wants to eat it? Well I do but should I?

      Delete
  9. Your pantry looks looks great! I need to get my butt to work cleaning and organizing my pantry, it's a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they get that way fast don't they. Kind of like my shoe closet.

      Delete
  10. Hey, the manager paid you 3 cents for your time!! Your pantry shelving looks nice and so full! I have a built in pantry in my kitchen, nothing fancy or large, but I get excited when its shelves are full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a built in pantry but alas kitchen is just too small. Lots of running up and down the stairs. Free exercise.

      Delete