Monday, September 9, 2019

Monday, Week ahead, Eggplant parm

     I made a new recipe (finally ) of eggplant Parmesan. I am telling you it was the best I have ever tasted.  The only thing I can say is that it had  alot of steps, and took forever.  Kind of like making lasagna, just so much work.  I did make two big pans and froze one for later.  I like to freeze things to see how they taste after they are frozen.  Eggplant can be slimy and maybe it is not worth freezing.  We will see.

     This recipe could so easily be vegetarian, but not vegan because of the eggs used in the coating.  It was so nice as it cost so little for two huge pans.  I used my homemade marinara sauce out of freezer all from my garden and a quart of home canned tomatoes.  The two large eggplants were also free, as were the eggs.  I only spent money on bread crumbs, and cheese, spaghetti I served along with it.  I think if you had to buy everything it could get spendy.  I don't know as I don't buy sauces or tomatoes ever.

     Recipe: Take one large eggplant and slice in 1/4 inch slices (I left skin on.) lay slices flat on paper towel or other towel and salt both sides vigorously let set 45 minutes to an hour.

Wash off eggplant on cold water and pat dry.

Dip eggplant in egg (three beaten) and then into panko bread crumbs

place on well oiled cookie sheet and spray with oil or baking spray.

Bake at 400 for ten minutes, flip eggplant over and bake another 10 minutes

Have marinara sauce and quart of diced tomatoes mixed.  spread a good two cups in a baking dish.

take eggplant slice and put on a generous slice or two of hand cut mozzarella cheese.  Stack another slice on top and another slice of cheese. Keep doing this until all slices are used. This should make at least 6 to 8 towers of two slices.
Sprinkle with Parmesan and fresh basil
Add the rest of sauce around the stacks and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
I served this with buttered and salt/pepper spaghetti.

     This was so good but felt like it took forever.  I guess if you salted your eggplant earlier in the day it would not add to the making.  This is necessary as eggplant can be bitter and  the salt draws this out.  This is a very impressive dish and so, so good.

     Happily there is enough left over in the one pan for two more meals.  Yeah!

I have several dresses to contend with in the shop today and I am happy to say I think I am coming to the end of the very busy season.  Not that there won't be more work and dresses, just not the crazy over load I have been experiencing. I still have so much left to do this month as far as sewing goes, so I cannot be lazy and put things off, which I am prone to do.

     So I want to get in the shop and get my sewing done as much as possible and also line up all the sewing for the week.  Then I want to do a couple of things on my list and call it a good day.

What are you going to accomplish this week?  Any plans just for today?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim
     


9 comments:

  1. I have a bunch of eggplant from the garden. I have been making it fried, Parmesan and with other veggies to top pasta. I have never frozen eggplant before. Let me know how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could grow more eggplant but I have a hard time growing the big ones.

      Delete
  2. Never tried eggplant, probably never will. Your recipe sounds good for those who like eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And my egg plant still is just sitting there. I need to deal with it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine sat for about 4-5 days waiting. We should write a book, The lonely eggplant.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this!
    I LOVE Eggplant Parmesan, and have yet to find a recipe I enjoy that I can actually make!
    Not much new here today: Schooling and dinner and tv cozy time.
    Of course there is laundry! Always laundry!
    Have a cozy day. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know laundry is forever. I have a couple loads that need to be put away, and another to do and ironing, oh my lets talk ironing. Try this recipe it is so good.

      Delete
  5. I love eggplant but since Hubby doesn't, I just saute it and use homemade sauce on it. YUM! Enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete