Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Wednesday, I expect too much of myself

     I got nothing done on the 30 day list yesterday.  I have been blue about it.  I looked at the pictures of Rhonda's beautiful, organized home today and felt like a loser.  Then I read Anne's list and realized that her things are just easier and smaller.  I am just expecting too much of myself.  My goals for the month are unrealistic.  I think everything on my list is just too large to do in a short amount of time I have to get anything done.  Wow, mind and eye opener.  I need to reevaluate.

Segue:
     I needed to show you this picture of Schmills and Hubs I took while at daughters.  They are playing the piano together.  Well Hubs is playing and Scmills is making noise.  But so cute.  Hubs plays for the children's hour at our church and he is also playing the Viola in the upcoming musical Sweeney Todd. He is in full rehearsal with major rehearsals in the evenings.  He comes home wiped out, so his next 4 weeks will be busy.


     So before I start on my rant about my over expectations let me tell you what I did get done yesterday.  So when I am mentally beating myself up over my inability to tackle anything on my list, you can all tell me what an idiot I am.  This is a serious problem folks.

     I attacked the growing pile again yesterday,  hemming, 8 pairs of pants (where do they come from?), put patches on a military uniform, put patches on and altered a marine shirt, hemmed a solid sequin lined mother of the bride dress. all the while taking care of many clients.
     I had 5 prom and flower girl dresses come in yesterday, plus a full set of dress blues (ugh).  It takes time to have clients try on and then pin and discuss what needs to be done, also three dresses were picked up which all required try on time. I had a call from studio owner that she wanted me to come down to the first night of Irish classes to meet the new Irish teacher.  So I dashed down there for an hour after hurrying to fry a couple of chops and green beans from garden along with sliced heirloom tomatoes.  Ran to studio.  Way too many students and beginners and intermediate and advanced all one class.  So helped organize the 3 hour time slot to keep all the levels going and switching studios in an orderly fashion.  This cannot be done by one person.  The studio owner will have to be there, that was determined.  I don't mind helping but not every lesson.  Then onto Bishops office for an new assignment.  More about that later.  Also ran to Joanns for needed things to complete projects for clients.  Then home to rip three homecoming dresses to be ready for today.  So why could I not fit something in from the 30 day list?  I mean really what is wrong with me?

     I have a huge pile of sewing to get done today that cannot be put off  as homecoming is this weekend, there is a full set of dress blues among another couple of things that are due out by Friday. I have to sew all day.  Plus this is the day I take a meal into my friend whose parents both suffer from dementia.  So (note to self) just when will I have time today to tackle anything on that list?  I mean really?  What was I thinking?

    "When you do stuff, stuff gets done".  I love that motto, but I did stuff, I do stuff, I am always doing stuff, I  just have more stuff that needs done.

     I have a kettle of black eyed peas that have been soaking all night and I am going to make a large pot of hoppin John and corn bread for my meal.  Have not thought of a dessert but will go search the pantry for something.  This will be done first thing so it is out of the way.

     So onto the dilemma of the list.  I just looked at it again and told myself to quit squeaking.  There are a few things that I can get done in a very short time.  I will attempt to get hubs involved and see if I can knock one out.  Maybe two? I try not to sew on weekends so there are some hours that can be filled with list items.  Plus I do love to work outside.  I need to just take this one day at a time and what gets done gets done.

     So any ideas? Any advice?  Anyone want to come a slap me?  feel free.....

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

32 comments:

  1. Yes "when you do stuff - stuff gets done" BUT you also need to learn to say NO!!!
    It is OK. I know you are in money making mode and pay-off things mode - but for what? So you can kill yourself getting there? No mam.

    YES you are too hard on yourself. You need to pull back a bit and say no once in a while. People will get over it. IF they don't - tough cookies.
    It is time you think of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the 30 day challenge here and thought I couldn't do it, not enough time and a couple of days are too busy. Instead I did what you said, chose easier hings to do and also I am giving myself permission to do 2 things in place of the days I will be away. The rules are up to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right so if I want one of my things to be brushed teeth and mark it off so be it!

      Delete
  3. Perhaps each job is really 3-4. Then the 30 tasks in 30 days ain't so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There, there....go get a diet coke and a pastry and stop trying so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are tasks and then there are chores then there are projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my problem everything is a project with me.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes we forget that life itself is a challenge--we don't need to add to it! Just pick a few things to do alongside your regular 'have to' tasks. Let them be your 'get to' (as in I don't HAVE to do this, I GET to do this) tasks. And yes, I know you are working hard to pay everything off, but as Cheryl Kimbley pointed out--it's not worth killing yourself over. Take. A. BREAK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the day the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it. I say this scripture out loud from time to time which helps me. You are a go-getter. I'm not going to slap you. I think you need a hug instead and told that you are valuable and have great worth even before you get anything done. I'm sure you've heard this before....slow down and smell the roses. Blessings to you and God bless, d

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the hymn "Sweet is the peace the gospel brings" as in living the gospel does so much for the value of my life, but I also love that scripture and thanks for the hug.

      Delete
  8. I'm with everyone else. You accomplish a ton in a day. I think you might need to be doing less of some things, freeing up time to accomplish other tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know I just have to be easier on myself. This is a life long lesson for me.

      Delete
  9. I WISH I could accomplish as much as you do in one day!!!!!!!!!! You are too hard on yourself. You need to take a day just for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did take three days off last weekend and look what it did to my house! Eek! but I can live in the mess foe a while longer.

      Delete
  10. Maybe you could cut out the trips for more chores from the Bishop. I got a small load of clothes out of the washer about thirty minutes ago, and still cannot hang them up to dry inside. There are only panties, so not too hard. Be glad you can do what you can do. And, try not to kill yourself doing more than you should do. There is a saying--you can work a good horse to death. I think you can apply this to you. Pick smaller chores. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that you can work a good horse to death. I am a good horse, Thank you I feel better about myself.

      Delete
  11. Forgot to say that there is a saying--if you want something done, ask a busy person. I think people know you have and will do anything you are asked. That is how I was assigned as the homeroom teacher for my older two children's classes. I told them never again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay, I am just to address you as I just did last week to HUBBY... when you are saying yes to everyone else (whether to earn money or help someone) you are saying no to your home. We understand that get it paid off, been there, done that , back to there doing that. BUT what are your priorities? WRITE IT DOWN... ALL OF IT ,the home, sewing, helping ALL OF IT. Now look hard at what is the MOST IMPORTANT with the understanding something is not going to get done. Today for me is a good example, I have 5 things listed I didn't get done because I spent the morning doing and transporting a stool test 145 miles round trip and then literally fell asleep sitting on the kitchen stool and fell off on the dog before going to bed and acknowledging it wasn't getting done today. Hubby turned down 2 paying jobs this week as he know he needs to mow the grass and work on the house for winter.

    WRITE IT ALL DOWN and then chose. If you are going to focus on bringing in the money while you can, then acknowledge and quit beating yourself up when you can't get the rest done without running yourself ragged and end up sick ... I care about you. The others on here care about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is probably what I do, I just feel guilty about the mess the yard and the things I cannot get done.

      Delete
  13. Hello!
    You are a rockstar!
    I am a list maker, but tend to feel overwhelmed at times.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would rather give you a hug than a slap Kim. Then I would roll up my sleeves & get cracking & help you cross some of those things off your list. Oh if only there wasn't a jolly great big Ocean in between us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your title says it all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the picture of Hubs and Schmills. As for the 30-day thing, I'd put it off until next month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would not put it off until next month. When I ran myself ragged going to school with 100+ miles round trip, one time for ten days in a row and at age 42, I devised a do one thing every day. One day I cleaned the commode, one day, I cleaned the sink; one day I cleaned the tub; another day, I emptied bath trash and did something to floor. Mind you, this little procedure happened about once a month. Other days, my one thing was clean sink, the another loaded dishwasher; another day was for unloading dishwasher.

    Once every quarter on break, I cleaned all books and paper off kitchen table. One spring break I spent the week in the yard with loppers, in a sweatshirt to ward off mosquitoes, and in the rain.

    My other one thing a day items were get oil changed, go buy tp, check that tire going flat.

    My standards were very low for years, yet I got it done along with making all my own clothing including panties and bras.

    I liken your mortgage payoff to my graduating. I had to face the fact I was a bit /8/older and had a goal. I had no one at all to take up the slack.

    Yet, I visited and helped my 94-yr-old neighbor every day and paid for groceries a couple was having to put back because they did not have enough food stamps. So, I was outside myself all the time.

    ReplyDelete