Thursday, April 16, 2020

Thursday, better news!

    
Well we must not have been the only ones that panicked about the stats in our paper, as they came out today with the fact that 9 of the deaths in our county all came from one rest home.  All victims were over 90 and the 10th death was over 80.  This is so sad and crushing, but at least  it gives one the sense that we are not surrounded by people carrying the virus and that our hospital is not that substandard. (although it is) At least we know where the hot spot is and that several people have recovered.  I just feel so bad for this rest home and for the families.

I got busy and started making masks, but will run out of elastic today.  This is my attempt to put in a nose wire, not classy but it works.

Yesterday, we wore masks, to pick up our lawn mower, and then we took another long walk.  It was great.  The weather co-operated later in the day for a walk.  Hubs is out trimming the yard right now.  I am going to finish up some masks and go for another walk this afternoon.  It is beautiful outside.

We went to Mc donanlds drive up for food for the missionaries.  We called and found out that there were 6 in the apartment not two, so we just ordered 6 dbl burgers, 6 fires, and 6 sodas and dropped them off at their door.  At McD's we wore gloves at the window for pick up and washed out hands when we got home.  I am less scared now that I know where the deaths occurred but still not taking any chances.



My first attempt to figure out how to assembly line this procedure.

I am sewing everything assembly line to knock these out faster, I probably have enough elastic here to do 20 masks, but will put an all call out to church ladies for more.  If we get to a point where we start to need more for the community I will order elastic on line.

Anyway these are quick and easy to make and are adjustable with the elastic tied in a french knot and pulled into the seam.  Also you can put another layer of napkin or cloth underneath for more protection.

I could make more masks with the long string ties, but those will be a pain.  I might just have to suffer.

After I complete the two orders I have, I will hang masks on my fence and people can come and get them, I am not letting people just come into the shop.  Too risky right now.  Plus I want to obey the lock down order.


Hanging in there, trying to keep my spirits up.  How about you guys?  Everyone okay?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

17 comments:

  1. Your masks look really good Kim, good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda they are super easy.

      Delete
    2. I'm so excited my husband is back after he left me for another woman. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We are happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr OGUNDU can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give it a trial. I contacted him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and i did it and he did a spell for me. 24 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr OGUNDU. If you have any problem contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you. He will not disappoint you. Email him at: drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com
      1. Bring your boyfriend back
      2. Bring your husband back
      3. Bring your wife back
      4. Bring your girlfriend back
      5. Win lottery
      6. promotion in offices
      7. help you to become pregnant
      8. Complete cure of any kind of sickness
      9. marriage commitment and so many more. 
       (Email: drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com)

      Delete
  2. The masks look great Kim. There is still alot of confusion over mask wearing here - I do wear gloves when I go out. All our takeaway outlets are closed even the drive throughs ... this will be why the supermarkets are so busy & have long lines way out to the road of people waiting to get in. Take care my friend - I wish I could send you elastic as I have plenty but we are not able to post anything overseas. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can always make do, I also found a pattern where material just hooks over the ears but you need pretty exact measurements of the persons face.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kim
    Good luck ordering more elastic. It’s as hard to find as toilet paper :)
    I finally caved an ordered spool of 1/4 inch US made elastic on Amazon and paid maybe $27 for the express shipping.
    I tried cutting wide elastic into strips as suggested online but I wasn’t happy with that, it seemed to lose a lot of its stretch. And frayed a bit too.
    I prefer to wear the tie masks. I’ve made mine with assorted double fold binding in my stash. Besides taking more work to sew, they tangle like crazy in the washer.

    Did you ever think we’d be sewing masks? I sure didn’t.

    I’m sure the missionaries gobbled up their burgers and fries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I never did think that I would be mass producing masks. I can also order from a company I use, but have not even considered it yet.

      Delete
  4. I am wearing masks each time I go out, but since I am not going out I don't have to worry about wearing them often. I did have several fat quarters so I have some pretty fashion forward masks, with linings made from an old flannel nightgown remnants. I have found none of the air filters to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for our proposes unless we are really close to someone who is sick, the two layer masks are fine.

      Delete
  5. Many people have said it is hard to find elastic. You can makes material ties, some are using shoe laces.
    Glad you got out for a while. Just remember there are so many more people surviving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have plenty of things to make ties out of and will make do.

      Delete
  6. I still have not decided to use needle and thread to make masks. I know where there is a lot of unclaimed elastic--in our dump. Only someone who is not a sewer would suggest cutting elastic lengthwise. I do not take lots of sewing advice I see online. I was going to order elastic, but it was all out online! Hanging them on the fence for people to get is a good, safe idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been making masks too - for family and friends. I also plan to donate some. I have been using ponytail bands for the elastic. They work fine. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pony tail bands are great if the masks are long enough to cover the face.

      Delete