Friday, March 18, 2022

Friday, Already? Where did the week go?


 Wow, this week went fast.  I feel like it was just Monday.  I know I have been busy and that does make time pass more quickly.  It seems like I am up making lists in my mind of things to get done and then boom, it is bedtime.

Even with Kelsa here yesterday, I was able to get a lot of work done. I raised my two youngest kids while I was sewing for others and even though I had constant interruptions, I learned how to get things done.

I worked on wedding dresses (hand work) while she watched cartoons and colored, her new favorite pastime. Grandpa took her for a long walk, and she went to sleep. You just have to keep them entertained, while you work.  

The soup I made last night was delicious and filling.  I used four strips of bacon for flavoring, leeks from our garden, potatoes (from the bank) and little boxes of milk also from the bank they were going to throw out at the end of the day. I also added a 1/2 box of chicken broth and a homemade roux for thickening.  Served this with homemade bread.  So, a really low-cost meal.  I love to see what I can make using things we have grown or that I have picked up for free. (well a little work on my part)

We have a busy weekend ahead of us.  I have a church meeting tomorrow ( special woman's conference), then we have to be up to daughter's by 5.  Hubs will watch kids and daughter and I will work a school fundraiser.  Son in law was called into work, so he can't fulfill his duties.  Mom to the rescue.

I also have to get the taxes done this weekend.  I loathe doing taxes, but I have put it off long enough. As things change very little year to year and the numbers are always within a few dollars of last years or previous years totals, I am tempted to just estimate and not go through the hours of adding up expenses. If I was audited the difference would be so minimal I think they would just see it was a waste of their time and mine. It is not like I am some big corporation hiding assets. For instance the difference between 2019 and 2020 for heating was $1.13.  So I spent all that time adding up 12 power bills which I saved and put in order, for a difference of a $1.13?   SO much work, why?

I was able to complete a wedding dress yesterday up to the try on stage.  I will still have to finish the hem.  All the hand work is done.  Then I was able to get a really good start on another, which I will finish to a point today. I had some last-minute ref pants come in that I also completed last night.

Hubs works at the high school tonight, so he will have left over soup for dinner, and I will make him a BLT.  I am into those right now if you have not noticed.  I think it was the 3 months of no shopping and the cost of bacon, that has me just craving bacon with everything.

So I feel like I am ahead of the game next week, with two dresses ready for fittings, now if I can just get to a third.

today's list:

1. finish wedding dress I started yesterday to the try on point

2. hem two flower girl dresses

3. run to joanns for a zipper

4. start another wedding dress

5. alter a bridesmaid dress

6. alter a bridesmaid dress

7. pull out the taxes

8. do a one hour run through of the house.

9. clean shop again!

I don't now why I put clean shop on there, I think it is wishful thinking.  A girl can always dream right?

Do you have any exciting plans for the weekend?  Like something that does not include taxes?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.


Kim


19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive day Kim.
    We have a wedding reception to go to tomorrow evening. Other than that, not much planned. I'm still working on sprucing the house so it will be done by the end of April. I'm planning on spending a LOT of time outside this summer.
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to be outside. Last year was so hot that we did not get to spend much time out, but I am hoping this year is better.

      Delete
  2. I know we figured out how to get stuff done when kids were here and small. I just wouldn't want to do it again. You're a nicer mom than I'll be. Maybe not- as my attitude could change. A colleague takes vacation days for child care duty and used her flex day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just get things done regardless, but sometimes they are trial. Kelsa was sick for about 2 weeks and that was hard, but now she is just really entertaining herself and that works.

      Delete
  3. You are so productive, my friend. Your soup sounds delicious. And I remember doing things with little ones. Sigh. I miss that. Flynn used to sit at my feet whenever I was at the kitchen sink. Have a good weekend. Rainy here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup sounds wonderful and so very frugal!
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, It was so good and I have more leeks so I can make more!

      Delete
  5. I love soup, and yours sounds delicious. My husband is not a soup lover, and he's out of town this weekend, so I'm making ham & bean soup for dinner on Sunday. Yum. Leftovers will become freezer lunches.

    My weekend will include: driving to 3 tennis games, one soccer game,a birthday party, laundry, & going to the store. Don't be jealous. ;-)

    That said, last weekend was super fancy & fabulous & included girlfriends, nice dinner & champagne, so it's back to real life now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a great day. Soup is always a great meal and yours sounds lovely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and the great thing is that I have more leeks and can make more!

      Delete
  7. I try to work while the grandsons are here too Kim ... if they are watching dinosaur videos then I have some handwork to do beside them. I'm pleased you got lots done - yes I make up lists in my head too & then my head begins to spin!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the ultimate grandmother Kim.
    I am glad you had a good day and didn't try to cram too much into it (BTW I look at your list and I am just not buying that !)
    As for the shop__you do what you do for a living and a certain amount of mess comes with it. I used to use a local woman for alterations that Mom did not want to do. She worked out fo her home and her living room was her shop. Unfortunately she had a deep pile carpet with straight pins sticking point up all over the place. It was like navigating a mine field and you only had to try something on without shoes one time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have carpet in my shop right now (not a deep pile) and I want it out so badly. If I could slow down enough to get that done it would be fabulous!

      Delete
  9. Kim, that soup sounds delicious. I also like making soup from things we can get at low cost or free. Soup can really help save money. And paired with a BLT, yum. Your hubby is one lucky man. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well back in the old days when everything was cooked on a spit or in the one pot you had, we all ate soup or stew. As S. Morgenstern said man's first meal was stew.

      Delete
  10. I love potato leek soup - it's one I make regularly too. I always use up my rubbery celery and carrots in it.

    I have yet to pull out my taxes, but it'll be soon - I always get a nice chunk back.

    Have a good week, Kim!

    ReplyDelete