Thursday, March 10, 2022

Thursday, Thrifty Thursday


 It's Thrifty Thursday!  The day Kim blogs about all the ways she saves money throughout the week. This is boring and repetitive. Feel free to skip. 

I just want you to know it took about 3 hours for me to get through the piles yesterday and then I am almost done with a very hard wedding dress, which I will finish today and get onto the next very hard wedding dress.

I did treat myself last night by getting my nails done.  I also had to take some aleve in the afternoon to cull a backache brought on by sewing.  It worked and I was happy.

I really need to do some housework, but I am going to ignore the messes until at least two wedding dresses are ready for try on. 

Dinner tonight is fried cabbage, pork chops and homemade applesauce. Hubs actually heated up the last of the roast last night. I was going to scare up some dinner, but he arrived home from Oliver's at 4:30 and had to be at High school at 6:00, which did not give me time to cook with a bride coming in at 5.  I had a bowl of cereal for dinner.  Love it when that works out. It was a long day for Hubs. With an active 18-month-old all day and the then a High School play.

It is very cold here and I spent most of my day yesterday a little chilled.  I actually wrapped myself in my Sluggy donut blanket while I did hand work. We are supposed to be back to normal temps by the end of the week and I will not complain. Although the sun shone all day yesterday and it is also shining today.  Just beautiful out if you can stand the temperature.

Thrifty Thursday:

1. saved all my spare change

2. saved all 5 dollar bills now have $200, up from $150 last week total for year $485.

3.Filled my $1, $5,$10,$20 bill envelopes for the last 4 weeks.  I was behind but catching up.

4.put $1000 back into Hub's savings that I took out to down pay his new hearing aids.

5.Used coupons  at Joanns for sewing supplies

6. went to Wal mart to save money on sewing supplies, much cheaper than Jo anns

7.accepted food from neighbor who worked at a food bank and took home leftovers

8. downloaded all receipt's to fetch

9. cooked all meals from home except one

10. used pantry and freezer storage for most meals

11. cooked from scratch, crepes, biscuits, pancakes.

12. turned thermostat down 2 degrees once it warmed up, but now regretting it.

13. always looked for cheapest gas when filling car/truck

14. had kids bring diapers, wipes, formula to house rather than buying ourselves.

15. looked for sales in papers, nothing except cabbage at .49 a pound which I will go buy a few heads.

16. Ate all leftovers in fridge so no waste.

That is about it.  Yes boring but also saving.

I am off to get some wedding dresses done.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

12 comments:

  1. Boring means no shockers either. I'm using up bits today. My big win is hubs actually ate lunch at home every day this week. I always do, but his not eating out savings a minimum of $7 each time, upwards of $18!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is a lot of money. Those business lunches out can add up. But that might be where he negotiates so worth it.

      Delete
  2. Sounds good, Kim! I have been cold too! We are supposed to get a big snow storm Saturday. Cozy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on the weather report. I pay attention to the east coast weather because of my sister and SLug.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on your savings, Kim! I've been a bit spendy lately, but I don't have any expenses outside groceries and our condo strata - my husband covers everything else (we don't share finances, and he makes more, so he pays the bulk of our costs). I save 20% of every paycheque for whatever I want, and let it add up (I also contribute to Retirement Savings Plans, and have a stock-matching Tax Free Savings account from my company). We paid off our mortgage almost 10 years ago, so we are aggressively saving for our retirement now. It's a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did all that before Hub's retired. I think he was saving more than he was taking home. But he worked for the State of Idaho which is synonymous with starvation. They did have decent benefits toward the end of his career. But his take home was food stamp worthy. SO, we have always really struggled. Raising three girls and getting them all through college. IT was 17 years of us cleaning government buildings at night to get them through, but so worth it as they all make way more money than we ever did. So,save, save. We had our mortgage paid off but had to downsize about a year and a 1/2 ago. Hubs has a Parkinson's like condition and the yard was too much, too steep. He was falling. We ended up in a house 1/2 the size with a flat yard and plenty of room for the chickens. We also have a lovely view of the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers. (Think Lewis and Clark) Unfortunately this house cost about $70,000 more than the one we sold, so I am back on the grindstone to pay that off. Plus,we are starting to travel some and fill Hub's bucket list. SO,Kim works hard. But I want to do these things while we can.

      Delete
  4. After a warmish week we're getting cold and snow. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be 10 degrees. So happy I don't have to get up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a real weather turn here, but it is supposed to warm up tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. We were in the middle of spring and I was wearing capris and flip-flops. Now old man winter is trying to make a brief comeback. SOB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I would love to be in capris and flip flops. But remember it won't last long.

      Delete