Thursday, March 3, 2022

Thursday, I am sore, savings catch up!


 This was me when hubs got home last night.  Even though I had defrosted chicken for dinner, I told him we were going to get a sandwich.  I was done.  I know I said at least three times on the way down to Jimmy Johns that my back was killing me.  It was throbbing.  All that bending over made me pay a price. I was $275.00 richer, and I could afford the $18.00 for a couple of sandwiches.

I also had not eaten more than a handful of potato chips, I was starving.  If I get busy, I often forget to eat.  Not a good habit as it leads to low blood sugar.

I dropped off bills that needed to be mailed and then took others to respective locations to save on stamps.  All bills are paid, and I think this month will be better financially.  I might even catch up.


 

It is Schmill's birthday today!  I cannot believe he is 6. We will celebrate tomorrow with family. Me loves this boy.

It is also my mom's birthday and boy do I miss her today.  She was such a pain at the end, but I remember how stinking funny she was.  She could make us laugh.

Hubs and I took a load of things to the dump, that I did not think were worth saving.  When we moved here, I tried to downsize, but I had loads of things I did not need to hold onto.  I piled things in the front room in categories to sell and then decided to just donate the lot to different places.  The sewing things will go to Goodwill to bless them and others. The jewels and beads and trinkets will go to a home school art site. The dresses will go to a resale site run by a woman who has MS.  You can make money there, but I will donate it back to her. 

I am going to load all this into the car and take it later today and also drop off a box to mail to my brothers' girls. 


The pile on the ironing board is the beginning of today's work. I made a list of several things that I need to get done for family and friends.  I am going to try and get at least 4 of these done a week, so I can get extra stuff out of my shop.  I need room.  Another wedding dress came in yesterday and I have one due in today and tomorrow.  We have now reached the point in the season where more will come in weekly than I can get out, so I really need to stay on top of things. I am blessed.


A hallway you can walk down.  This was completely blocked last night. Now I just have to keep up   Sissie says I need to clean up every night, but I am not sure I am that disciplined. Right now, I am just excited to be able to sew in a decent environment.  I found my bridal cording that I had lost and also my zipper foot which went rogue last week.   Broke out my last set of new scissors as I could not find any scissors.   I am stoked.


So, let's talk money as in Kim's savings plans.  I have not had a post for almost a month, with being out of town and sick on my Thursday post days.  It was also a sick month for saving challenges.  I have rethought my strategy and have switched it up a bit.

I was taking all my 5's and putting then on the house. That is not going to continue happening.  I was paying an extra $1000 to the house loan and that is not going to happen for a while.  I was saving $100 a week in my 100 envelope challenge.  I have not been able to do that for three weeks, but I do plan on catching up. I will not be putting this extra money on the mortgage for a while.  I have caught up on the $1,$5,$10,$20 challenge and I will continue to do this for now.  

Both Sissie and Slug's (she was nice about it, as in no bruises that show) both told me I was making myself crazy and I do this every year at this time.  I start out fast and then start to falter as the first quarter of the year is always my hardest financial time. I need to earmark extra funds to other sources and then get to the house later in the year after I stabilize.

So here goes the new for now plan.

Put the $1000 you borrowed from Hub's savings back.  That is going back this afternoon. Next month put the $1000 in your emergency fund that you depleted at the baby's funeral. Here I chastised Rhitter for no emergency fund for her car repairs and I didn't have one either.  Bad, bad, Kim. That 100-envelope challenge, I can do as soon as all my bills are paid, not before. I am sure I will catch up here now that we are going into busy season.  But I am going to do what makes sense.  Not Kim sense.

Thrifty Thursdays:  OR savings for the last three weeks

1.saved all my change in my coca cola bank

2. saved all my 5's now have $150 for the last three weeks or a total of $435 for the year. This $150 is just going to stay here for now and might be used for my trip to St. Louis for niece's wedding coming up the end of April.

3. Saved a penny a day in my penny can. $25.08 for the month

4. saved a $1,$5,$10,$20 bill ever week.

5. Ate out of freezers and pantry as much as possible.

6. always looked for the least expensive place to get gas.

7. used up berries that would have gone bad to make jam

8. used scraps from wedding box to fix other dresses and made extra money

9. used coupons at Joanns

10. downloaded all receipts to fetch

11. tried to cook treats from scratch for goodies around the house.

12. Picked up steppingstones for pathways in yard from Facebook marketplace saving $200 over retail.

13. found good sales on different clothing items for brother's two little girls while I was in Twin Falls.  I will mail them each three new outfits today.

14. Found a total of .26 over the last three weeks in change!

15. found $275.00 while cleaning the shop, it pays to clean folks

16. Found an old huskavarna machine deep in closet and I remembered it was in good shape, but the foot petal had gone bad.  Just ordered a foot pedal for $22.80 and it will be a great spare machine, or I can give it away to someone who needs it.


 

With everything that is going on in Ukraine I have decided to quit complaining about the price of gas and of groceries.  Yes. they are going to continue going up.  Yes, I will continue to try and find ways to save money. I will do all my normal things. 

When we go get gas, we have gas.  We can buy it.  We may not like the price, but we are free to go get the gas in a safe country, this is a blessing the Ukrainians don't have.

Groceries are high now and will continue to go up.  But we have food.  We can choose to buy it or not. We have something to buy.  They do not.  Neither do the Russian people who were forced into this by their leader. Shelves are empty.

We are all paying a price for this war.  We are paying a price for their freedom and for me it is worth the price for the blessings I have.

I have enough, I have more than enough. Prayers for these people and the Russian people who live under the imposed sanctions brought on by this war.

No more complaining, just counting my blessings.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.


Kim


18 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on prices. I will pay whatever is necessary simply because I am free and the children of my family and yours are not having to hide in underground bunkers! We can make choices - those people cannot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. WE all feel the pain and ours is so much less. When we see the prices we need to say of prayer of Thanksgiving and ask for blessing on Ukraine.

      Delete
  2. These dreadful happenings in the Ukraine is making me feel thankful for the blessings I do have too Kim. Food is very expensive here now but we try to grow as much as we can & we are lucky we can grow our own beast for the freezer too as meat is exhorbitant.
    Cannot believe that Schmills is turning 6 !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are talking of buying a 1/2 of a pig again and will certainly let someone take the chickens after they are done laying. I cannot eat them, but to let them run wild for the coyotes to pick off isn't going to happen either.

      Delete
  3. I will also pay higher prices if it means food on the table. There will always be ways to save and there will always be ways to save that I have never thought of.

    Love how you decided not to kill yourself putting money on the house. Once you get caught up in other areas you can start that again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the payment is very small, but the house is really almost paid for and I was just making myself stress out.

      Delete
  4. Deeply moved by your reflections at the end. I am struggling a bit right now, but I am not huddled in a subway station fearing for my life. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of us are. I think I am coming down with yet another infection and that has me worried. I would love to go a month with no illness. Okay extra illness:) But I went to the grocer yesterday and stocked up on some meat I have not bought for three months. I said a prayer of gratitude as I paid for it.

      Delete
  5. The crisis in Ukraine puts life in perspective. We have our freedom, but it can be taken away easily if we don't protect it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS IS TRUE. We take so much for granted. We are so truly blessed. Can you imagine if our grandkids were in danger how we would feel?

      Delete
  6. I'm reading this after my girls and I got back from having a final dinner and drinks, and then taking. Lyft back. So many comedy's if error this week, but how dare I even whine about prices, inflation, or inconvenience when so much of the world is suffering. Your home looks great. You'll get there. I need a sissie and Sluggy to knock me into order as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Sissie is a tough task master. I think we all get into a mindset of struggles, and we are not really struggling. We just think we are. We have food to eat, clothes to wear and a roof over our heads, people who love us and a government that protects us.

      Delete
  7. That picture is exactly what I look like at the moment lol! Schmills is just adorable, love those curls! These times do make me appreciate how fortunate we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO we don't. I have made it such a mantra to complain about prices and trying to save money. It is okay to be frugal, but I was becoming ungrateful and that has to stop.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for putting things in perspective. We are blessed in so many ways. Praying for Ukraine. Hopefully this madness and war will end soon.
    Love the picture of Schmills at 1. Hope he has a fun 6th birthday.
    Great job with the sorting and cleaning. Glad you aren't stressing about the savings challenges right now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have more than enough to stress about in the shop. SO, let's put my energy where it belongs!

      Delete