Thursday, March 17, 2022

Thursday, Happy St. Patrick's day! Thrifty Thursday


 We had a lovely dinner with friends last night.  We had scheduled for today, but there was a conflict on our hosts part involving horses.  Only in Idaho.  Anyway, we ran over and had corned beef and cabbage.  It was lovely and then we played dominoes.  I had never played, and it was so fun.

They also had a pussy willow bush, and I was able to get some branches.  My mom always had pussy willows and daffodils in a vase in the spring.  As I now have the vase, I like to do the same.  Just a reminder of her and better times.

Time to switch out the St. Patty's and put out the Easter.  I think I will wait until Schmills is here as he loves that. 

I am going to do the potato and leek soup for dinner tonight as I didn't yesterday.

Did not get my list done yesterday, but as usual it was too long.  I always aim for the stars. 

St. Patrick's Day was such a busy time years ago.  Getting a sellout show open with up to 100 dancers.  Costumed and crazy.


I made over 50 of these suckers.  Full circle skirts.  SO much work, but great memories. St. Patrick's Day was a busy, hectic day, with the bagpiper's, the Irish band, and then on to the pub crawl. Do I miss it?  Yes, I miss the adrenaline, but not the stress of the work.  I miss the kids and teaching and the creative aspect, but again not the stress. Good times. Let's not even think about Christmas and the full-blown Nut crackers!

Thrifty Thursday!

1. saved all my spare change

2. saved all $5 bills, $40 this week total for year, $525

3. saved a $1, $5, $10, $20 in an envelope 

4. bought gas at the least expensive station, keeping vehicles full, to save on rising prices.

5. Cooked all meals but one from scratch, using what we had in pantry and freezers.

6. bought ice cream, with Albertson's app.  $2.49 limit 2 and then another was free with points.  So, three containers of Ice cream for a little over $5.00.

7. downloaded all receipts to fetch.

8. planted my own seedlings so I don't have to buy them for garden

9. When kids asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I always ask for garden center gift certificates to save on spring planting.

10.  Used coupons on Joanns for zippers, and things I needed.

11. worked at food banks came home with lettuce (now $4 a head here) two bags of romaine and two heads of leaf.  Also, prunes, pears, apples, potatoes.  They had to empty freezers and I was able to receive chicken strips, salad shrimp (can you believe that?), fish portions. Well worth working hard for a good cause for a few hours.  We bagged pallets, of onions and potatoes into 5 lb bags.

12.Used all leftovers and food scraps were fed to chicken's

13. Received a large free bag of bird seed for my birthday from a local hardware store.

Just had a gentleman call who needs ref pants shortened for tonight's game. Men are the worst for last minute.

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Kim

 

10 comments:

  1. Great haul from the food bank. Glad you rescued the food and it will be put to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome of you to work at the food bank. Wow your lettuce is expensive. I just bought a head of green leaf lettuce for 1.79 yesterday and when I cleaned it I was amazed at how huge it was.
    Glad you had a nice dinner and time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. You are lucky to have greens that are somewhat reasonably priced.

      Delete
  3. I have a friend at a food bank who is generous with me. I do things for the food bank and her church. I have lettuce I need to cook. Maybe tonight. Lettuce here is on sale. Of course, it could go up before I look at prices, but it is in ads right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful haul from the food bank Kim! Gosh there's alot of work in those full skirted dresses ... all that applique work on them - the thought of making 50 makes my head spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look back and wonder how I did it. One alone would be over the top now.

      Delete
  5. Good to see the food banks help volunteers and ensure no waste. My daughter would love to work there again, but likely no funds and she needs a paid job for her expenses. I can only imagine the time on each dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lot of work, but I enjoyed it and I look back and wonder why?

      Delete