Thursday, March 31, 2022

Thursday, Thrifty Thursday with a twist


 Well, here we are again on Thursday, the day Kim lists all the ways she saved money during the week, but I am going to switch it up a bit and add things I spent money on that maybe were not the thriftiest things I could do but brought me happiness.  It is good to be thrifty, but also good to know that you or someone else is worth a little of your time or hard-earned cash.

Our daughter's co-worker had a miscarriage yesterday, so she was called into work, and I have Kelsa an extra day.  Which means I am not getting as much done as I would like, but that is okay.  I will just sew in the evening.

Yesterday I was able to get two going on three wedding dresses ready for fittings.  One came in at noon today and the other tomorrow. I sewed hard and did a lot of ripping and hand work, by the time Hub's got home from Oliver's I was done in.  We went and got a Jimmy Johns sandwich.  We have spent money eating out 3 times in the last month! Almost more than I have in the last year.  One time was for my birthday.  But I think as busy as I am this might be an occurrence that happens more often.

Sewing especially hand work is tiring. If I just don't have the energy to chop several veggies and get things ready so, be it.  I try to save on groceries every way I can.  The meals I cook are inexpensive and mostly from scratch. I can buy a sandwich when I am tired.

Today I chopped, onions, garlic, carrots, celery and browned them in a little olive oil then added the left-over chicken broth in the fridge and cooked them for a while.  Then added a canning jar of dried beans and legumes I had soaked all night.  Add water and some chopped leftover ham from the freezer and I have a large pot of every bean soup.  This is an inexpensive meal and will feed us for at least two days. I will toss a salad and maybe make some biscuits to go with it one night.

Last night Hub's needed to go to Walmart and get batteries, and chickenfeed.  I stayed home and set my timer and cleaned up the family room, folded laundry, vacuumed and straightened the kitchen before hubs got home.  I thought about sewing more, but I decided having a clean environment when Kelsa came this morning was more important to me than getting a zipper in a dress. It is all about what priority will bring me the most comfort.

Thrifty Thursday:

1. saved all my change 

2. saved all $5 bills so far this week, 45 in fives so total for the year is $640

3. saved a $1, $5,10, $20 bill

4. Paid $500.00 to Hub's hearing aid doctor to save on interest charge!

5. Used gas buddy app to save money on gas

6. cooked as much from freezer and pantries as I could.

7. used coupons and points to buy meat for BBQ

8. downloaded rect's to fetch

9. Told daughter to bring me a Mcd's diet coke when she came home for lunch.  Saves me money! I am a scrounge of a mother.

10. took care of seedlings that will later be food for us.

11. rebuilt back of wedding dress with a sleeve from another Wedding dress. Hey, saving things I cut off saves me money.

12. was able to get several hundred bridal buttons given to me by brides that ordered them in and didn't use them all. Saves me from ordering. I now tell brides to order their own things that way I am not paying for them, and they usually have leftovers. Okay double dipping here.

13. bought three pieces of fabric, for Indian skirts with a huge discount.  Will make money on supplies.

14. Put out all the outdoor pillows I made for the back yard. These were made from recycled pillows and sale fabric.  If you take care of things, they can last from season to season.

15. Got another contract for Indian skirts, I set aside two days in April for this work.

16. Helped Lil sis make things for daughter's wedding to save her money

This week, I donated $100.00 to a mission fund for a family in our ward that has 7 children and I know this will lighten their burden. It is not always about saving money but about spending your money where you want to.  I wanted sandwiches last night, I wanted to help this mom with her missionary bills. I want to drop and elderly gentle man's (in our church) favorite candy bar off at his house. I can afford a few butterfinger bars to bring someone joy.

I can buy 4 boxes of girl scout cookies; I can also eat them.

What did you do this week to save money?  Did you spend any money to bring you or another person joy?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative. 

Kim


7 comments:

  1. You're exactly right. Bring thrifty should mean spending in real joys without guilt. The poor young woman- as so many of us can relate to what losing a baby can mean, if course you would be there to help downstream. I don't want to be cheap- I just want my funds and time to go for meaning. You sure did that my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the many years I struggled can make me save money in dumb ways. I don't want or need to deny myself things. But my mind says save all the time. I can spend if I want to.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it really is the little things, that bring joy to others & allow for treats & splurges when you need them. Sounds like a great balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is east to become unbalanced. I do not want to end up like my mother in law.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you come up with ways to show love to others.
    I think with money it's all about balance and you did very well my friend. Who doesn't love a good Jimmy John's sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am telling you it was delicious and much needed that night.

      Delete
  4. Yes, we all need a treat every now and then and eating out is a good one for me too.

    ReplyDelete