Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Tuesday, I finished!

I wish I could run again.  I loved running. 
I finished the skirts, at 12:30 last night.  Well, I still had elastic to put into 5 of them, but I saved that until morning. I am a night owl so staying up that late did not bother me at all.  I took a hot bath and was in bed by 1.

It was a marathon, and I am glad it is over.  I used to sew like this all the time when I was costuming.  You would take a mockup into a director, and they would approve and then say I want 12 of those. I loved one of a kind not 12 of a kind, but I did that for years.  Just different sizes.

I would sew for 15 hours straight no problem. Now, I am hurting at 4 hours. I am sure it is age and my arthritis that does not allow me those long sessions at the machine.  Remember when I went to daughters and did 12 boned dance bodices, with full skirts, for a Dega dance piece?  I sewed all week for hours of the day and then I told her never again.  Luckily those costumes are very easy to alter (I made them that way) and they have been used repeatedly.  But again, I say NEVER AGAIN!

I delivered the 14 skirts, and the owner was thrilled.  I had 4 pieces of material that had a remnant on them.  I made those 4 remnants into little skirts for toddlers.  So, like a mother/daughter skirt set. I did not want to waste the material and they went together fast.  She did ask me to make more, but I told her to sell these first and then contact me. I might be in for another marathon next month if it pays Hub's $500.00 hearing aid bill.

I laughed at hubs this morning, as he was trying to fit things into his schedule.  He was on the run.  Going from, hearing aid adjustment appointment, to school to check a stage, then to the church to be the watchman for an activity, then back to district office, to turn in his time sheet.  All before noon. I told him he should retire as he is so busy.  

Hubs and I went to Wal-mart last night, so I could get bridal buttons, elastic, and interfacing.  We also picked up what I needed for starting all the seedlings for the garden. I hope to get that done this weekend. It is not warm enough yet to put out the portable green house.  In fact, we are supposed to have another cold snap tomorrow.  Hubs is out putting the heater on the chicken's water and draining the hoses. But I think this will be the last freeze. Or I hope it will be the last.

Well, I have a long list of alterations to get done before I start on hand work for wedding dresses.

First, I am going to get my savings envelopes done. I don't want to accidently spend the money. I ran to Albertson's today when I was out doing errands.  I wanted to get a package of Au Jus mix to make French dips with left over roast. A one-use package was $2.09 for a package that made 1 cup of Au Jus.  I said forget that.  I went two blocks to a restaurant supply store and bought a bag of au jus mix for $4.96 that will make 3 quarts.  Not that I will ever make that much, but it won't go bad, and I will use it for other things.

Sissie and I were also discussing bread going stale in our freezers.  Yes, these are the things we discuss along with world peace.  She and I both discovered that we would buy a bag of hot dog, Hamberger, or sandwich rolls, use 2 or three and then freeze the rest, only to have them get freezer burned and we then throw them out.  I love buns and rolls fresh baked that you can buy individually but refuse to pay the cost of .69-.89 a roll.  Now these are really so much better than the bagged rolls.  But you get 8 rolls in a bag much cheaper per roll.  Then you use 2-3 and freezer burn the rest.  So, we are now purchasing 2-3 rolls when we make special sandwiches. It might not be the most frugal thing, but it does make more sense.  Plus, the sandwiches are so yummy. We are worth it.

Do you ever pay more for something, that you could get in bulk cheaper, to keep from wasting?

Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.

Back to the Salt mines I go.

Kim

12 comments:

  1. I am amazed at how much sewing you can do. Grandma on mom's side could pretty much sew anything and everything. Mom and my other grandma could sew a bit. Like child skirts, bags, aprons, simple pajamas and etc. My SIS and I have difficulty threading the machine. I was hoping to join a sewing group to learn how to sew but then COVID hit. I watch lots of YouTube videos but still cannot dare to start a real project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it is not as hard as it seems. But then I do have that 100,00 hour rule behind me. Where you perfect a skill. so it seems like breathing. Get started you can do it!

      Delete
  2. I am always impressed with your sewing. I have a bunch of naked barbies screaming for me to make them something to wear, but I hate sewing so I am not doing it.
    Sometimes I spend more to have no left overs (like buying baking potatoes one at a time instead of a bag which will just sprout ad turn them into breakfast toast or garlic bread for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I sewed for hours, too. I would wake up too early and go sew in my nightgown even though I had too little sleep. One day, in order to get out and order the next day, Christmas Eve, I sewed most of the night and made $600 on Christmas Eve with that delivery--dog clothes.

      I put bags of bun into a freezer bag before freezing. I then roll the bag up, store it in the freezer and use it again for bread/buns. They keep a long time in the freezer bag.

      Delete
    2. I am all for that Anne. It is easy to waste when you buy something that you don't eat a lot of. We are not big bread eaters. We love bread don't get me wrong, it is the carb overload.

      Delete
    3. I have stayed up all night before but those days are over.

      Delete
  3. You sure keep busy. I bet those skirts were pretty.
    I put a paper towel in with bread before freezing and then I double bad. It seems to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try that, I really don't like bread after it is frozen. Unless I toast it.

      Delete
  4. I vacuum bag our bread as I can shut it off before it smashes the bread. I do buy 4 baking potatoes or sweet potatoes. I will have to start cooking potatoes as I bought a lot of seed potatoes. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually just buy 2-4 sweet potatoes, but bakers I pick from the field.

      Delete
  5. Thaw those buns, squish them flat-ish, butter them and toast in a skillet. Yummers! It is extremely rare for me to buy a white bread of any sort but this works well-I did it with leftover Hawaiian rolls once.

    No, if I'm not going to use a bulk quantity, I will spend less for the small quantity even those it's PPM is higher.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it is something I am learning. I have always been so frugal and sometimes it does not make sense. Plus I am worth a little splurge, even if it is a roll.

    ReplyDelete