Sunday, March 15, 2020

Sunday, Though shall have no other God's before me

For all of those out there worshiping at the alter of the toilet paper roll, let me, let you in on a little clue.  You will live without it if you have to.

Just thought I should make that point clear.  Yesterday I had two people in the shop even thought I am not open on Saturdays but both were out of townees and I was home. The second client I have had for years and she had come into town for supplies and to drop off a bag of mending.  She was so frustrated as she had been every where for toilet paper and they were completely out at home.  We went over all the stores she had been to, and I assured her that Potlatch would soon have the shelves full, but in the mean time I went to my storage and got out a 8 pack double roll and brought it out to her.  She wanted to pay for it, but I said no. I don't know how long an 8 pack of toilet paper will last, but she was thrilled to get it and I am sure it will help and the shelves will be full again.

      Our church has had us saving and storing food and necessities for years.  We (actually) when we can, store a two year supply of four basic foods. Honey,wheat berries, salt, and some form of milk.  Then we store as much as we deem possible of the foods our families eat and we rotate. We store enough and then the extra can help neighbors.

      My grandmother did this, my mother always had a huge storage.  We fed a lot of neighbors when I was a child. I remember as a young girl in the Dakotas that we lived in a poorer section of a college neighborhood.  Many of the people around us did not speak English well.  We often had people at our door asking for help with problems they could not solve.  Their gas had been shut off, or they were out of food, or they needed help getting to a doctor or dentists.  Mom was always there to help.  We had shelves of canned goods and boxes of cereal lining our basement.

  I remember one woman brought over her baby buggy as she did not have a wagon and mom had her bring it down the back tornado cellar steps and they went along the shelves and filled the buggy.  I thought this was so neat.  So I got the neighborhood kids to come over and we filled a dolls buggy with some kind of kids cereal.  I mean like maybe 8-10 boxes.  There were many of us in on it.  I was scolded but mom just took the buggy out in the back yard and soon there were mothers from the big apartment building in back of us coming out with containers and cups to scoop up cereal so it would not go to waste.  It was kind of a neighborhood joke. But I never did it again.

     I also remember a family called Jensen that operated a butcher shop out of the back of the garage.  They lived about a 1/2 block from us.  You could go there on chicken butchering day and get, gizzards, necks,hearts and livers for little to nothing.  I know he fed many in the neighborhood.  They were wonderfully kind people. Mom would always call Orvil Jensen and explain to him what was needed and send the women to his back door for help.  People just helped each other.  We need to do the same.



     Hubs and I have been on very strict diets and have both lost weight so today we celebrated by having a pancake breakfast, it was so good.  You know a couple cups of flour, a little baking powder, tablespoon of sugar, some salt and a little oil make a real treat. Add some butter and syrup or some jam.

     I think as a blogging community we need to encourage each other to stay busy and get some things done.  I guess what I am saying is that I need to be encouraged or I will watch Netflix all day.
Like we need a contest showing something that needs to be done and then doing it?  Any one up for a challenge.  I seriously need some motivation.

Have a peaceful and restful Sabbath.

Kim

32 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for a contest! Also, so glad you are prepared and can even help others, we need more of that during this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think that is great now what should we do? Should it be cleaning? Or something we have avoided? Or a project? What?

      Delete
  2. Being prepared is so important. Your mom was a wonderful example of exactly how it should be. The world has certainly changed since I was growing up (I'm 45). I remember our neighborhood just being one big family. Now, we speak in passing to a couple of our neighbors, but definitely aren't very close. Everyone's lives are so busy. Lots of coming and going. I hope this pandemic will teach us how to be neighborly and helpful again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I certainly hopes it brings out he best in us and not the worst.

      Delete
  3. Your title should have been "...no other Gods BEHIND me!" *snort*

    I took a package of tp up to R-A this morning in case any of the employees/my buds there needed any emergency tp(because they didn't put any aside for themselves when the weekly supply truck came).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a good guy I think they just throw pennies out for you. Wish I was there or you were here we could sit and bitch and eat donuts.

      Delete
  4. I have spent WAY too much time playing mahjong on the computer and reading Facebook and online forums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Netflix is my new best friend. My house is a sty and the shop runneth over. What is wrong with me?

      Delete
  5. Being prepared is just good sense. I love seeing stories about people offering help to others. It re-energizes my attitude (which has been great of late - due to all the crazies).
    Isn't it amazing how something so simple as pancakes can be such a wonderful treat?
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I really need to put a fire under my butt that shot last week knocked me out and I am behinder than usual. Kind of nice to have a downturn to help me catch up.

      Delete
  6. Good on you. Today I braved the stores to get some other items. During this time, my focus will be catching up on devotionals and podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all are a little alarmed and then in disbelief, like is this really going to happen?

      Delete
  7. In for a contest. I'm hoping the rain stops, but it hasn't stopped Nick from building a bike ramp out of spare lumber. He's one thrilled kids. He's taking woodshop as his elective this semester, so we're calling it "remote learning". ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what should we do? I so need to be motivated or slapped up side the head, don't know how to get myself to do something.

      Delete
  8. I just do NOT get the TP hoarding. At all. Let's think about this. People 100 yrs ago did NOT have TP. Yet here we are in 2020! If you really do not have toilet paper - USE.YOUR.BRAIN. Rags. Rags can be cut up & then washed. Also, you could always plop your butt in the shower & rinse your butt of. Not too hard. I mean if you really had none, these 2 ideas would suffice. Again, I just don't get it. WHY would you hoard TP? I can live without it. Food? Not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A contest would be cool. It would be a welcome relief from all that is goig on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be in for a contest and might actually participate for real. I need to start by re arranging my freezer and then tackle the laundry room. And if we get more rain to wash away this stupid pollen I might even be in the mood for a yard challenge. I feel like this might be the year to become a little more aggressive with vegetable raising. Now if I just had some seed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real? Anne really? You would like say it? write it? do it? Do I have to come check on you? Can I trust you?.....just asking?

      Delete
  11. Well, I'm on a "mitigation implementation" team, so basically on 24/7 call. I've worked all day today. Life is unusual these days, but uts still life and we're all in it together. Your kindness is leading by example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are very tired. Take care of yourself so you can take care of others.

      Delete
  12. A contest sounds great - it would be a good distraction from worrying. nice to read about you sharing and about your mum, we need more kindness in the world at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we need to have something to inspire us. So ideas?

      Delete
  13. That was so sweet of you to give your customer the toilet paper, Kim. I agre that we need to help each other. Since schools are closed here and that is the only meal or meals some students get all day, several businesses and individuals in town have stepped up to the plate and are going to feed students this week. All they have to do is show up, no questions asked. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful. It saddens me that people are in a situation where they don't feed or can't feed their children.

      Delete
  14. How sweet! Both the toilet paper and your community growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we had to do it sometime? Hey we need a post on how to stay home a work. Since you do this all the time any thoughts? or Advice?

      Delete
  15. how about something to inspire us every day? not just the regular jobs of cleaning, decluttering etc... Hubby brought home flowers from the grocery store today. Said HE needed something to bring cheer into the home as he had a rough day getting a CDL physical and drug testing, 4 stores trying to find milk. (I would have stopped at 2 and just went to the neighbor that has a milk cow)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I stopped at Walmart one day last week and when I left I noticed a woman in one of the electric carts starting to move stuff into a regular cart to leave the store. I walked over and asked if she needed assistance putting stuff in her cart and when she said yes I moved her items to the other cart. The last thing I picked up was her oxygen tank -- hadn't noticed it until then. For such a small thing it was heavy! Anyway she thanked me and I thanked her, and was halfway to my car when I realized I did not have any hand sanitizer.
    I hope we are both okay!

    As to the contest - I moved into my apartment 4 years ago and am still living in chaos! I have been escaping on the phone and laptop - not so good! It start in one area and get distracted easily --- SQUIRREL!!!!

    I have to run 2 errands today - maybe only one but then I need to force myself to focus. I will pick up a flowering plant to cheer me up while I am out.

    ReplyDelete