Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Tuesday, Checking in folks

This is for Sluggy!
Well another day in paradise.  Still cloudy, rainy and gloomy out so no fun outside.  Lil sis and I went to the dump in the rain and got rid of all the garbage from the basement.  I was able to get through my large pile of clothes for my Little client and today I will do a few police patches and another bag of mending.

Still have not motivated myself into cleaning anything I think that motivator is broken.  Hubs came in from his walk and wanted to eat a can of pork n beans for lunch but I stopped him quick and whipped up a chicken salad for him.  I know he does stuff like that  just so I will fix him lunch.  He is a reprobate.

This crisis will really affect my bottom line this year as there are no prom dresses or  Jr. Miss dresses which I have many of through these months. I think people are even leery about weddings because no one knows when of if they can pull one off.  So I am blessed to not really need the money.  It is nice and allows us to do more things, but we don't have to have it to pay the bills.

Speaking of bills, I will be doing that in the next few days.  I really feel for the people who have lost there paycheck and won't be able to pay rent. I have been there so many times.  Scrambling to get things paid.  My only advice to people is to pay your mortgage and rent first.  Everything else can wait.  You can get help with food through food banks, and other sources.  Power and water should not be shut off and you will catch up.

This is why it is such a blessing to be able to cook from scratch and to learn to live without.  Actually to be happy to live without would be a better way of putting it. Maybe some lessons will be learned from this. Unfortunately they are lessons learned the hard way. I don't like those kind of lessons.


What advice would give to those who can't pay their bills?


Have a great and productive day staying positive while you are in the negative.
Kim

19 comments:

  1. I'd also say to look around your house, and see what you can sell. I always feel like I've sold off everything of value, but can find more each time I look. It's not going to replace a paycheck, but may help with small bills here & there.

    To the larger point, have an emergency fund, cook from scratch, eliminate eating out/shopping/traveling, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people are not going any where it is easier to save money. That also helps.

      Delete
  2. Kim,
    Let him eat pork n beans and show him... Who will buy things for the proper price when they know you are desperate? However, selling something is a good idea.

    Dial 211 for resources.
    An able-bodied person can work any menial job just to have some money on hand.
    Talk with the landlord.
    It seems there will be no foreclosure or evictions, if the reports are true.

    It is too late to try to save a emergency fund, but it is a good lesson to take from this.

    At least, you have no mortgage payment. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what a blessing, but even if we had we would be okay as we have steady money coming in.

      Delete
  3. I agree-get housing taken care of first. Just about everything else is so much more difficult without a roof over ones head that is steadfast. Like HP, if you have items to sell, try and do so. Also, this is the time to connect with family and friends. Maybe they have small jobs or opportunities for you to help your bottom line.While I have lived on very low incomes, I've never directly known what not being able to pay required bills is like, so my advice should be taken not by experience, but from a witness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a real wake up cal for many Americans. I feel so bad for them.

      Delete
  4. I'd also say pay your housing first. I'd also focus on what things I could do without such as TV services and decrease things such as utility use. Watch where every cent is going and make what money you do have go as far as it can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see many people cutting back on non essential services for a long time, even when we get out of this they will be playing catch up for many, many months.

      Delete
  5. My advice would be what Dave Ramsey teaches. Protect the four walls. In order, food, shelter, clothing, transportation. Look to see where areas you can cut out on your budget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just an FYI---Dave Ramsey's four walls are shelter, food, utilities, and transportation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes shelter first. Always pay the house. cars can wait.

      Delete
  7. In these times things are happening quickly and folks are having the rug pulled out from under them. Our youngest son is a musician/bartender. All his music gig are cancelled and the bar is closed. Oops there goes his income. His wife is an actress/musician so ditto for her work also. He is giving online music lessons and she is giving online voice lessons. Fortunately they have parental safety nets which many of their artist friends do not have. This is going to be a hard recovery for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful my kids all have essential jobs, but that might not be a blessing if they get sick.

      Delete
  8. Aren't you glad you paid off that **** mortgage!
    As far as advice is concerned, housing is the priority.Talk to your landlord, I am a landlord and the thing I really don't want is an empty letting house, prone to getting run down or broken into, impossible to let,and with all the bills insurance tax etc still to pay, - so with any reasonable landlord you should be able to strike some sort of deal that suits you both providing you have a good track record.
    I am looking at cleaning my panty shelves and they are looking right back at me, we'll see who blinks first!
    J.P. in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Offer a moratorium. I did that with the woman who bought my studio. I actually extended her contract giving her reduced payments and summer off. Yes it took longer for me to get my money but she was not forced to fold and give it back to me.

      Delete
  9. EEEEK ! I meant to say pantry shelves not 'panty' shelves, i think it's all starting to get to me.....!JP in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I just thought you might have a lot of panties.....

      Delete