Thursday, January 12, 2012

Thursday, funny how that works,

     Yesterday I was at the CU making a deposit.   I also had a $30.00 check to cash and had withdrawn $265.00 out of B's account (money she owed me for paying her rent).  As I was waiting for my deposit slip to print the computers went down.  The man next to me in line was asking the teller to check his account, he needed to withdraw $25.00 for gas.  He looked like a painter or a dry-Waller.  You have to keep a minimum of $35.00 in your account to keep it open.  He had $35.00 left.  So no money.  He was begging to just get $25.00.  I heard him say I will come in tomorrow and give it back.  I just have this job to finish and I need gas.  He also said it was the hardest winter he had ever experienced for finding work.  The teller made a phone call and she turned to tell him that she had gotten permission to suspend his account and give him the money.  The computers went down and she could not even open her cash drawer. I mean everything locked up.  What a mess.  The young man looked like he was going to cry, so I quickly slid $25.00 over to him and said quietly "pay it forward and go with God".   I had to do it quickly before I talked myself out of it, because you all know how hard I am trying not to spend and how I am trying to pay off the fridge.  But all I could see is that I had $265.00  and $30.00 in front of me in cash and I am so blessed financially in so many ways.  He was astonished and said who are you?  I told him Santa Claus and hurried out of the bank.  Then I chastised myself  for having $25.00 less for my fund.  Well guess what?  Today a $25.00 refund check came from the State for my husbands lunches.  He had paid out of pocket for lunch when he attended a mandatory work shop.  I did not even think about getting reimbursed.  So it is solid proof. The giver always receives back what is given.
      I have been in the man's place so many times in my life.  When I had no money and I was down to the last $10.00.  When my kids were sick and I could not buy medicine.  I remember one time selling my dishes and electric skillet in a make shift yard sale I set up to get enough money to buy and $87.00 prescription for one of my babies.  I have so much.

     I just realized that I have not contributed one penny to my pot this week.  Why? Because you have to spend and break a dollar bill before you can do that.  I am not spending any money!  Tonight we filled hubbies car with gas and went to get a few Groceries, so I was able to contribute a few coins. 

     I was able to make about $12.00 on soda/water this week so far. I am sure it is beginner's luck, but we will see.  Lots of work came into the shop today so I will have to get busy tomorrow.  Winter ball is coming up next week end and I have many dresses to hem and alter.

      I also have 2 funerals to make food for on Saturday, but I have not been told what they need.  I am sure I will get word in the morning.  I can bake something while I am working in the shop.
     Carla's challenge has sure helped my pocket book this week!

Have a restful night, I know I will!

Kim

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing you did. You are a making ripples in the water my dear......I hope that young man keeps it going. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I firmly believe that too Kim and I've had it happen a couple of time so I KNOW that it's true. Once I ended up in an RCMP station is Saskatchewan because I had left my wallet in a Wendys back in Alberta. The police officer called and my wallet had been turned it and was safe. Problem was I had no $$ for gas to drive back and get it. (Kazi was with me for a dance competition in Edmonton and we were driving home - she was 11 years old and spotted the RCMP station for me bless her heart) so a total stranger walked over to me and gave me $20. I think of that fellow often - I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that one good turn deserves another. A while back, the kids and I were at the dollar store. There was a young couple (maybe 18 or 19), with a baby. And a Bible in the lower part of the basket (I am not very religious, but to me it signified that they weren't just some young kids that found themselves in a family way).

    They were using Food stamps to pay for their items. In our state, it is sort of a debit card system. Well, they were having trouble with the card, and the transaction wasn't going through. They pulled cash out of their pocket and picked through the items and bought what they had enough cash for. It probably left about 5 or 6 items.

    I just put the items with my stuff, and had the cashier quickly bag it. I had the kids walk over to them (they were still adjusting themselves and baby with the bags and such), and hand them the bag and tell them it was for the baby. They were so thankful.

    It was $5 or $6 dollars...it wasn't that big of a thing in my life. But for this family...it was huge. They wanted our address so they could repay us. I just said take that baby home and love him and give him hugs and kisses every day...and that was enough.

    It is all good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful story by you Kim and the other commenters! I haven't really had a chance to do such acts, though I often pass along $4, $5, $10 coupons I get at the grocery store, if I can't use them on my purchases (I rarely can anyway, since your purchase must be at least $40).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. It makes me so happy and I want to cry. You have inspired me, I am going to be on the look out to do something like this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so sweet of you! Thanks for sharing the story -it made me smile this morning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS! So many things like that happen everyday and I love hearing the heart so many still have, when all around us the world seems so cold.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kim.. you truly are a wonderful person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just stopped in from Cents to Save. Your post was WONDERFUL! It really struck a cord. I'm following you now. Can't wait to come back to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim I agree with everyone you are wonderful. And thank you for the good thoughts you sent my way. I have fallen away from doing random acts of kindness but you have reminded me how much I need to do this again.

    Thank you for being you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a great story. Made my day and brought a tear to me eye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so amazing what you did for him! He will NEVER forget you! And I believe that God always blesses us back when we help others. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what an inspiring story and you are right God does "pay" us back tenfold when we help others.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete